Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apparently the OL isn't important anymore

Apparently the OL isn't important anymore

We haven't been a dominant OL since Faneca. We repeatedly gave Hunter opportunities, had no depth and didn't draft any/1 in earlier rounds or sign a legitimate free agent.

Sanchez was bad, but ran for his life. Sackelroy was killed sacked 11 times.

Our line has been bad for years and is a major issue. Sparano was a former OL coach and our line was pathetic!

Moore & Slauson out? Cut Ducasse he's horrible...

Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    We haven't been a dominant OL since Faneca. We repeatedly gave Hunter opportunities, had no depth and didn't draft any/1 in earlier rounds or sign a legitimate free agent.

Sanchez was bad, but ran for his life. Sackelroy was killed sacked 11 times.

Our line has been bad for years and is a major issue. Sparano was a former OL coach and our line was pathetic!

Moore & Slauson out? Cut Ducasse he's horrible...
    To me the OL is the biggest thing that needs fixing on this team (besides Sparano, Rex and Tanny). This draft coming up is a weak QB draft - kind of like the one that Sanchez was drafted in. The last thing we need to do is trade all our picks and players to move up in the draft for a QB in this class. We need to draft some OL talent and just make do at QB - spend everything on the OL.

McElroy got sacked 11 times. Sanchez probably would've been too if he didn't already have NFL experience. The O needs an upgrade. And WTF wasn't Braylon on the team until last week?

It will all be the new GM's problem once the recruiting firm overpays for him.
    He will need to fix the entire offense and special teams and maybe half the defense. Thats all.

All League
    It all starts in the trenches.

Our OL is average I'm OK with that. Of the 3 starters we have in FA all 3 are the weaker links. Howard is not an upgrade over Hunter sorry just cheaper. Slausen needs to be off this team and Moore is aging. Where as I would love to have Moore back none of these guys are hard to replace. Next year we will still be an average line regardless of how those wholes are filled. Vlad is no worse then Slausen. This is a good FA to pick up cheap replacements for these guys and find some mid late round OL depth. I say look for a guy like Phil Loadholt in FA to upgrade and draft a few mid round OL. Uzzi, Brian Winters, Williams, and/or Rick Wagner in the 4th-5ths to play G maybe also BU RT would be nice. We just have no depth.

This draft could be the place to fix it. We are either going OLB or OL with the 9th pick.

I can understand thinking that Sanchez should have been able to make do with poorer quality receivers in the hopes he would 'elevate' him but letting the OL deteriorate was definitely detrimental and instrumental in shattering his confidence. It was unforgivable.

We need to get bigger at the Guard positions. I like the Guards in this year's draft class. You can get value all the way into round 4. Warmack, Warford, Bond etc. Big, strong players

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    This draft could be the place to fix it. We are either going OLB or OL with the 9th pick.
    It's going to be either Warmack or Dion Jordan. I think you can't go wrong either way both are going to be good players.

The OL isn't was it was in 2009 and 2010 when we had Woody at RT and had one of the best OLs in the league (even after Faneca left). But it's no worse than average.

Sure it had its problems at times in the season, especially last week vs. San Diego, but if you watch any football you'll see that just about every team has problems at times.

But today was a good example of how it is far from the biggest problem on this team, gave Sanchez plenty of time repeatedly, but receivers can't get open and when they do far too often Sanchez can't find them or throw a decent pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I can understand thinking that Sanchez should have been able to make do with poorer quality receivers in the hopes he would 'elevate' him but letting the OL deteriorate was definitely detrimental and instrumental in shattering his confidence. It was unforgivable.
    Yes, it was unforgivable. Sanchez was Ryan's favorite for 4 years - and Ryan still let the O deteriorate. I'd hate to see what kind of offense Rexy would build around a QB he doesn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    We need to get bigger at the Guard positions. I like the Guards in this year's draft class. You can get value all the way into round 4. Warmack, Warford, Bond etc. Big, strong players
    Im sure there is another Vlad Ducasse out there in round 2 for the Jets. First round Jets will probably go with a project college defensive end that projects as an outside linebacker. You know another high risk low reward kind of player the Jets love to pick.

If you thought sanchez was running for his life for most of this year you haven't watched other teams with real bad olines.

I am all for improving the O-line, but I do not believe that doing so should involve either:

1. Spending a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on a RT or Guard.
    2. Paying a high-priced veteran FA (e.g. Faneca) for a 1-2 season rental followed by a costly demise.

Bottom line is that we need to fill OG and RT starting spots and bench spots with guys that cost average money but perform at an above-average level. That's all scouting and coaching.

In a salary capped sport, you just cannot have 5 first rounders or high-priced veterans on your O-line and expect to be competitive in other aspects of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Im sure there is another Vlad Ducasse out there in round 2 for the Jets. First round Jets will probably go with a project college defensive end that projects as an outside linebacker. You know another high risk low reward kind of player the Jets love to pick.
    Yeah maybe the Jets can find another player from UMASS who didn't even learn how to play football until 2 years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotch View Post
    I am all for improving the O-line, but I do not believe that doing so should involve either:

1. Spending a 1st, 2nd or 3rd round draft pick on a RT or Guard.
    2. Paying a high-priced veteran FA (e.g. Faneca) for a 1-2 season rental followed by a costly demise.

Bottom line is that we need to fill OG and RT starting spots and bench spots with guys that cost average money but perform at an above-average level. That's all scouting and coaching.

In a salary capped sport, you just cannot have 5 first rounders or high-priced veterans on your O-line and expect to be competitive in other aspects of the game.
    You can get Warmack in rd 1, Warford in rd 2 or 3 and Bond should be available in rd 4. They are all big strong Guards who are smart and have good feet. No need to give $50 mil guaranteed to anyone. We had 4 1st round picks on our OL as recently as 2 years ago.

The Jets' holes are not that hard to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If you thought sanchez was running for his life for most of this year you haven't watched other teams with real bad olines.
    Oh, I have, I have. You forget where I live LOL

Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    The OL isn't was it was in 2009 and 2010 when we had Woody at RT and had one of the best OLs in the league (even after Faneca left). But it's no worse than average.

Sure it had its problems at times in the season, especially last week vs. San Diego, but if you watch any football you'll see that just about every team has problems at times.

But today was a good example of how it is far from the biggest problem on this team, gave Sanchez plenty of time repeatedly, but receivers can't get open and when they do far too often Sanchez can't find them or throw a decent pass.
    Ferguson and Mangold are as good as it gets at their positions. Need to upgrade the other spots INCLUDING TIGHT END. I think Keller stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by ROPE View Post
    Ferguson and Mangold are as good as it gets at their positions. Need to upgrade the other spots INCLUDING TIGHT END. I think Keller stinks.
    Yes, I agree.

I know it's a weird idea for the NFL, but maybe ..... maybe we could sign some guys who RUN FASTER too!?!

Quote Originally Posted by ROPE View Post
    Jets need a blocking tight end. Keller can probably be had on the cheap for a 1 year deal which is fine - let him earn his next contract wearing a Jet uniform.