Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: If Hill makes that catch vs the Pats...Jets make the playoffs

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I agree with your post with the exception about window is closing. He's finished at this point.
    He might never get another game chance to prove himself, but whichever new OC comes in might want to kick his tires in training camp. I doubt we'll trade him, so the least we can do is make him earn as much of that paycheck as possible. If he still sucks, though, I say cut him. I know we'd have to pay him anyway, but that's better than taking up a roster spot and sending a message to other players that you can suck and still be employed as long as your contract is prohibitive to the team to eat.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
    He might never get another game chance to prove himself, but whichever new OC comes in might want to kick his tires in training camp. I doubt we'll trade him, so the least we can do is make him earn as much of that paycheck as possible. If he still sucks, though, I say cut him. I know we'd have to pay him anyway, but that's better than taking up a roster spot and sending a message to other players that you can suck and still be employed as long as your contract is prohibitive to the team to eat.
    He'll be the 8 mill backup next year is my guess unless they workout a trade in the good old boy network.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
    That's one of those things that, if it makes you sleep better, it's OK to believe it. But it's not quantifiable at all. Offense affects defense and vice versa, and there's no way to judge one entirely independent of the other. I still think Sanchez could a good QB for us, but the window is closing.
    You are missing the point that all resources went to the defense over the last three years. That means they should be carrying the team. The defense hs gotten worse over the last 3 years despite the resources going to the d.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by red75bronco View Post
    You are missing the point that all resources went to the defense over the last three years. That means they should be carrying the team. The defense hs gotten worse over the last 3 years despite the resources going to the d.
    +1

Touchdown.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker134 View Post
    Looking back, That OT loss crushed them...Sanchez outplayed Brady, and that game was in the bag if Hill doesn't let that ball go through his hands. That said the Houston Monday night game was very winnable as well. Just sucks...
    I totally agree. But I told this to everyone I knew weeks ago. The Jets season ended that game. They never recovered from it.

Dont know so much if it was the drop that ended it, or a referee calling a penalty on Wilson from 25 yards away when a ref right on the play didnt call anything.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetglass View Post
    I totally agree. But I told this to everyone I knew weeks ago. The Jets season ended that game. They never recovered from it.

Dont know so much if it was the drop that ended it, or a referee calling a penalty on Wilson from 25 yards away when a ref right on the play didnt call anything.
    I still don't understand this. The Jets simply gave up on the season because they lost an OT game in Week 7? That makes no sense. Teams lose close games, even to division rivals, all the time. It's the freaking NFL. There have been teams far more screwed over than the Jets were in that game, and they seemingly keep playing.

All I'm seeing is a whole lot of armchair psychology trying to explain, in any way that satisfies themselves personally, why the Jets had a really bad season.

Yeah, a loss in Week 7 doomed the Jets from that point on. Can't really judge them after that point. They could have been Super Bowl bound if not for that one game.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I still don't understand this. The Jets simply gave up on the season because they lost an OT game in Week 7? That makes no sense. Teams lose close games, even to division rivals, all the time. It's the freaking NFL. There have been teams far more screwed over than the Jets were in that game, and they seemingly keep playing.

All I'm seeing is a whole lot of armchair psychology trying to explain, in any way that satisfies themselves personally, why the Jets had a really bad season.

Yeah, a loss in Week 7 doomed the Jets from that point on. Can't really judge them after that point. They could have been Super Bowl bound if not for that one game.

It's not even close to "arm chair psychology", rather, it's "let's come up with something to try and defend Sanchez".

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The premise of this "What If" thread is so inane, I've decided to add this "if only" to the mix:

The whole season would have been different if only Hill had caught Tebow's perfect pass in the Texans game, and if Ryan had let Tebow play an entire drive. Here's a Rex quote after that game for your amusement:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...et-with-tebow/

When asked why he didnít leave Tim Tebow in the game after he made a 13-yard runÖ
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ryan
    Because if that was the call, if we wanted to run the football at the quarterback position, Iím sure he would have been the guy in there, but we had a guy wide open. Itís just that Watt makes a play. We had two guys open, but J.J. Watt ends up making a great play. The next play we come in, we run a bunch, they donít even cover Chaz Schilens, heís standing all by himself in the end zone. Then Jeremy Kerley beats his guy, so we had two guys standing wide open, try to throw the ball. The kid [Watt] just makes an unbelievable play. Again, I think that was the right play to call, and the kid actually comes all the way from the right side, all the way across the field to tip the ball.
    Another article about the Texans game from NFL Sporting News:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...ez-matt-schaub
    Had Jason Hill not dropped a perfect pass from Tebow, he could have provided a huge spark. On his first play from scrimmage, Tebow lofted a pass deep downfield to Hill, who had a half step on his defender. But Hill let the ball slip through his hands, ruining what would have been a big play.

Jets coach Rex Ryan was in a gambling mood in the second quarter, and used Tebow to make it worthwhile. On-fourth-and-inches in his own territory, Tebow lined up with the punt team, took a direct snap from center, and ran three yards for a first down. However, that Jetsí drive fizzled without any points, and Tebow played just two more snaps before halftime, gaining three yards on a run, and handing off to Bilal Powell for a 3-yard run.
    And some people still think Rex Ryan has the best interests of the team at heart.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking back, That OT loss crushed them...Sanchez outplayed Brady, and that game was in the bag if Hill doesn't let that ball go through his hands. That said the Houston Monday night game was very winnable as well. Just sucks...
    This is not far fetched.. Has some merit.

That game took everything out of the team. Very hard to recover from that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LETSGOJETS View Post
    This is not far fetched.. Has some merit.

That game took everything out of the team. Very hard to recover from that.
    Really? A regular season game in Week 7 took "everything" out of the team? Let's just hope the Jets don't get the Pats Week 1 next season. God forbid they lose a close one to them, they just might pack it in again for the season. Too demoralized, too down and sad to overcome it. It's very, very hard for a professional football team to recover from an overtime loss in the middle of the season.

My point is that this thread ignores all of the other games in which the Jets got outplayed thoroughly, and focuses on the one game, against a hated rival no less, that could have swung in a different direction, and using THAT game in particular as the basis for the downfall of the season. It's ridiculous, and cognitive bias at its finest.

And it ignores all of the other close calls, too. If Dan Carpenter doesn't miss a 48-yarder in Miami, that might have altered the Jets' season as well. But the Jets won that game, so that and many other close calls and moments are easily ignored. Nope, it was the Hill drop, of all things, that derailed the Jets season.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 12-31-2012 at 02:50 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really? A regular season game in Week 7 took "everything" out of the team? Let's just hope the Jets don't get the Pats Week 1 next season. God forbid they lose a close one to them, they just might pack it in again for the season. Too demoralized, too down and sad to overcome it. It's very, very hard for a professional football team to recover from an overtime loss in the middle of the season.
    hahahahaha! That's freakin funny

Sorry LetsGoJets - faulty reasoning. According to that train of thought Sanchez should've had a super season since he won the 1st game against the stinky Bills.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

My point is that this thread ignores all of the other games in which the Jets got outplayed thoroughly, and focuses on the one game, against a hated rival no less, that could have swung in a different direction, and using THAT game in particular as the basis for the downfall of the season. It's ridiculous, and cognitive bias at its finest.

And it ignores all of the other close calls, too. If Dan Carpenter doesn't miss a 48-yarder in Miami, that might have altered the Jets' season as well. But the Jets won that game, so that and many other close calls and moments are easily ignored. Nope, it was the Hill drop, of all things, that derailed the Jets season.
    After that game, the injuries started to happen and I dont know about you, but for me as a fan, after that game, it sucked the life right out of me.. We deserved to win that game....

Momentum is eveything in the NFL, and for whatever reason since that game, We have not shown much life.. Forget about Sanchez.. Lets talk about the special teams, Offensive line play, Pass rush, Play calling, dropped balls, run game, pass protection..

When you got Clyde Gates and Chaz Shillings as your WR's, you have some serious issues..

This is the ONLY reason our run game got better as the season went on..(and our strength of schedule)

Where was Greene and our pass rush in the first half of the season when we needed it most?

Special teams was the worst I have ever seen in all my years watching football.

The play calling was WORSE than Shotty! how can that be!?

Its remarkable the Jets won 6 games with the names on this roster in the 2nd half of the season.. anyone who knows football knows Sanchez is not to blame.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    No, Mark sucked.

But the Jets defense sucked more.

SAR I
    I buy the argument that with all the resources going into D over the past 3 years that the D should be awesome/dominant, and it isn't. But to say the D sux more than Mark is delusional and costs you on credibility. Although I disagree with you take on this issue, you do present mostly a logical arguement.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Hill makes that catch, we probably don't win another game...This is the Jets we are talking about, they would given all of us hope only to drop all of us off the typical Jet cliff...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually it's probably the difference between 6-10 and 7-9.

We'd lose to Miami the following week no matter. In fact Miami deserved to sweep us, so maybe we're still 6-10.