Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The "Trade Revis" Myth

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    You do not save any money by trading Revis. He hits the cap for 9 mill either way. This is how Tanny signed him to a contract with a 4 small irst year cap hit.

This is why Tanny is looking for a job this morning. He has assets that can't be traded due to cap hits, other guys that cant be traded due to being overpaid with guarantees. And the biggest chip a combination of the biggest obstacles to getting traded
    Wow. So He has a contract like Sanchez where we have to pay him even if he is traded ? Tannenbaum is a lawyer and it seems he protected the players and not the team.

Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    I'd take 2 seconds for Revis. Our secondary hung in there this year and the cap space and the picks would be a huge plus in our rebuild. Plus no more drama would be welcome.
    shut up.

Quote Originally Posted by InRex_WeTrust View Post
    IWe all know Revis is greedy and will want to be the highest paid corner in the league
    If he is the best corner in the league, why is it greedy to want to be the highest paid?

Quote Originally Posted by fredmertz View Post
    If he is the best corner in the league, why is it greedy to want to be the highest paid?
    It's not... But it's frustrating that he wants the immediate change after a good year. He was useless to the team this year and won't be taking any pay cuts for it but after next year having a great year he'll be holding out yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    "Trade Revis" is the most shortsighted idea I could imagine at this point.

It's been said elsewhere but what are you guys going to do, trade Revis and use those picks on someone who, if you're lucky, is 75% of the player he is?

Revis is an all-time great at CB if you trade him and get a QB who is at Sanchez or Tannehill's level what is the point?
    It's time to see the light like baseball GMs have -- controllable/affordable years mean something. If the Jets could trade Revis for two affordable/controllable players that are 75% as good as he is, they'd do it in a second (or at least they should).

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Wow. So He has a contract like Sanchez where we have to pay him even if he is traded ? Tannenbaum is a lawyer and it seems he protected the players and not the team.
    No, I am sorry if i did not explain my thought process. What Tanny did was give him a contract that ran 6 years in length so that he could spread the SB over a longer period of of time. However the contact is structured so that if he opts out after 2 years into the extension, he does not have to pay back the SB for the opt out years. (as is the norm) He has three years left to prorate his bonus at 3mill per year for a total of 9 mill. That is why you don't save any cap money next (2013) year by trading him.

What make this contract so onerous for the jets is that even after he opts out and moves on, the jets still take a 6mill cap hit, as if he was cut.

So while the jets don't have to pay his salary, there is so much non amortized Sb that hits the cap it has that effect.

Jets Insider VIP
    The jets are starting over, what are you talking about? 1/2 of the players are FA or mandated cuts. The jets don't have a qb, a safety, an OLB or a competent guard on the roster, a #1 back, The two DTs who have taken the most snaps will be gone.

Cincy, Minn and Seattle have been building for years. They did not just become competitive because of one draft. Revis may be gone before 2014, Cro and Wilkenson after 2014. What team are you talking about turning around?
    That's one side of it but the other side is we have 1/2 of the core players that will have a very good TC with lots of pressure to perform. Rex will be on the hot seat. Assuming we have a good draft and a FA signings and a new QB, I think we should improve next year. We can't get any worse than this season.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    That's one side of it but the other side is we have 1/2 of the core players that will have a very good TC with lots of pressure to perform. Rex will be on the hot seat. Assuming we have a good draft and a FA signings and a new QB, I think we should improve next year. We can't get any worse than this season.
    So, does that mean he will try harder to do better? Wasn't he trying this season?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    So, does that mean he will try harder to do better? Wasn't he trying this season?
    We had a lot of age on D this year and guys making big bucks. Most or all of those guys will be gone next year. Rex will have no choice but to play some draft picks and a few FA. TC will be more energized this year with the Vets gone.

This season was untypical injury wise. Half the team was hurt at any given moment. The team wasn't prepared for it and the rookies made tons of mistakes. Next year has to be better or at least a step in the right direction.

One big difference between Cro and Revis is that Cro has been very vocal about liking it here and wanting to be a Jet for life.

Revis seems to put the money before the team. The fact that he can walk without us having the ability to franchise him makes me uncomfortable with the idea of keeping him on his current contract.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    revis goes nowhere. you cant trade possibly your best player for a bunch of draft picks that may not even make the team. we all know that scenario all too well.
    perhaps, but remember that we will have a new GM.

I love being a Jets fan, even after this miserable season.

But some of you need a reality check.

You want to trade the best cornerback in the NFL on a team that relies heavily on man to man coverage?

But yet so many of you proclaimed Aaron "Mayhem" Maybin was the next best thing and we needed to "lock up teh BEAST".

Let our new gm handle the personnel moves, now that pencil pusher Tanny is gone, everyone else have a beer and have a happy new year.

Just how many SB's have the NY Jets won with Revis on the team again?

Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    Just how many SB's have the NY Jets won with Revis on the team again?
    How many AFCCGs did we go to with Revis on the team again?

Revis is a part of the solution, not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by JETS2417 View Post
    How many AFCCGs did we go to with Revis on the team again?

Revis is a part of the solution, not the problem.
    No SB's. Lost both AFCCG's.

keep revis, draft pass rushers. why is this such a crazy concept?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    keep revis, draft pass rushers. why is this such a crazy concept?
    Fair enough.

But how do you plan on scoring?

Jets Insider VIP
    No, I am sorry if i did not explain my thought process. What Tanny did was give him a contract that ran 6 years in length so that he could spread the SB over a longer period of of time. However the contact is structured so that if he opts out after 2 years into the extension, he does not have to pay back the SB for the opt out years. (as is the norm) He has three years left to prorate his bonus at 3mill per year for a total of 9 mill. That is why you don't save any cap money next (2013) year by trading him.

What make this contract so onerous for the jets is that even after he opts out and moves on, the jets still take a 6mill cap hit, as if he was cut.

So while the jets don't have to pay his salary, there is so much non amortized Sb that hits the cap it has that effect.
    Thanks for the explaination. I guess Revis stays for another year.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Selfish person. I'd take a 1st and 2nd for Revis or someone like MJD. A corner back alone doesn't win a SB. Cro is under contract for the next few years, I'd rather ride with him.
    Yeah lets trade a HoF CB for a 30 year old running back. That worked out great for Washington.

I agree that Revis should never play for the jets again. He simply CANNOT be back with the team next year. We can't sign him and if we let him play out his contract we get nothing for him.

So we should trade him for anything we can either before the draft, or before the 2nd pre-season game. Having Revis on the team for 2013 does absolutely nothing for us.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Fair enough.

But how do you plan on scoring?
    that's a separate discussion but keeping revis and improving the offense are not mutually exclusive. we need as many great players as we can get, and if we can start to get a natural pass rush these CB's are going to wreak havoc on opposing offenses. turnovers = points = wins