Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 79 of 79

Thread: The "Trade Revis" Myth

  1. #61
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    1,921
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Thanks for the explaination. I guess Revis stays for another year.
    That means he won't be on the team this year. If he stays for 2013, he walks at the end of the season, we take the 6mil cap hit anyway and get nothing in return.

    If we trade him, we still take the cap hit, but get something in return.

    Bye Bye Revis.

  2. #62
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets need to get lucky and trade Revis to the Cowboys for a 2014 1st rounder because the Cowboys believe they are close to a championship.

    Then the Cowboys have a disasterous 2013 season and have the No. 1 overall pick which the Jets can use to draft a true franchise QB.

  3. #63
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,888
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Jets need to get lucky and trade Revis to the Cowboys for a 2014 1st rounder because the Cowboys believe they are close to a championship.

    Then the Cowboys have a disasterous 2013 season and have the No. 1 overall pick which the Jets can use to draft a true franchise QB.
    the cowboys just drafted claiborne and signed carr to a big contract. why would they want revis? if you want to trade revis, I'd look to teams like detroit or maybe GB

  4. #64
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,447
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    That means he won't be on the team this year. If he stays for 2013, he walks at the end of the season, we take the 6mil cap hit anyway and get nothing in return.

    If we trade him, we still take the cap hit, but get something in return.

    Bye Bye Revis.
    By nothing for 2013 he teaches all our CBs how to play like Revis including any rookies. I mean who knows I got a headache.

  5. #65
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    that's a separate discussion but keeping revis and improving the offense are not mutually exclusive. we need as many great players as we can get, and if we can start to get a natural pass rush these CB's are going to wreak havoc on opposing offenses. turnovers = points = wins
    When the NY Jets QB hands it right back to the opponent how does that work?

    The Jets need a High Quality QB to win a SB. I like Revis too, it is just that I like the NY Jets winning a SB more.

  6. #66
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,888
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    That means he won't be on the team this year. If he stays for 2013, he walks at the end of the season, we take the 6mil cap hit anyway and get nothing in return.

    If we trade him, we still take the cap hit, but get something in return.

    Bye Bye Revis.
    if you don't trade revis, you still probably get at least a 3rd rounder in a comp pick. unless we're talking about first rounders and multiple picks I'd rather take a year of revis and try resign him

  7. #67
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Midland Park, NJ
    Posts
    3,703
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the Trade: Common sense fans

    Against the Trade: Fans who bought Revis Jerseys

    It's a no brainer, if you can get picks for Revis you pull that trigger

  8. #68
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,159
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis is untouchable- one of the few players in the league I'd say that about, let alone the Jets. Trade Cromartie and cut Kyle Wilson if no one can take him off our hands.

  9. #69
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,888
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    When the NY Jets QB hands it right back to the opponent how does that work?

    The Jets need a High Quality QB to win a SB. I like Revis too, it is just that I like the NY Jets winning a SB more.
    what QB are the jets guaranteed to get in return for revis? drew brees? sure I'd take that every day. but I'm not going to trade revis so we can get another pick to draft matt barkley or the NC QB. unless you're trading revis for a herschel walker type of deal you're probably not going to get equal value in return

  10. #70
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    what QB are the jets guaranteed to get in return for revis? drew brees? sure I'd take that every day. but I'm not going to trade revis so we can get another pick to draft matt barkley or the NC QB. unless you're trading revis for a herschel walker type of deal you're probably not going to get equal value in return
    What value does he have if he pops his knee again? What value does he have if he walks as a FA?

    This is Pro Football not Madden

  11. #71
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,888
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    What value does he have if he pops his knee again? What value does he have if he walks as a FA?

    This is Pro Football not Madden
    what if any player gets injured? that's a stupid argument. unless you're talking about bringing in multiple firsts or a pick that's going to get us the next luck or RGIII or larry fitzgerald you're just giving away talent for nothing. would you trade revis for the next muhammad wilkerson or kyle wilson?

  12. #72
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    if you don't trade revis, you still probably get at least a 3rd rounder in a comp pick. unless we're talking about first rounders and multiple picks I'd rather take a year of revis and try resign him
    Well not so fast. the jets will have at least 40 mill to sign FA that off season, if Revis moves on and signs for 12.5 a year and the jets sign a more FA than they lose, you subtract your the salary from the highest paid you signed from Revis salary and that is the value of the draft pick you get as comp. If you sign Flacco as a FA at 12 mill you don't get any comp. If you sign a guy at 8 mill a year you get the value of losing a 4.5 mill FA which is about a 5th.

  13. #73
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,888
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Well not so fast. the jets will have at least 40 mill to sign FA that off season, if Revis moves on and signs for 12.5 a year and the jets sign a more FA than they lose, you subtract your the salary from the highest paid you signed from Revis salary and that is the value of the draft pick you get as comp. If you sign Flacco as a FA at 12 mill you don't get any comp. If you sign a guy at 8 mill a year you get the value of losing a 4.5 mill FA which is about a 5th.
    I can't imagine the jets would let revis walk if he's signing somewhere else for 12.5 a year. the big question is there a team out that there that's willing to overpay and offer revis in excess of 15-16 AAV

  14. #74
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,852
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    I respectfully disagree with you about Revis's trade value. There are college players coming off injury that have been drafted in the round they were predicted to be drafted in.Before the draft Revis will be fully recovered, and believe there wopuld be a number of teams willing to part with there first for him
    +1

  15. #75
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7,442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    what if any player gets injured? that's a stupid argument. unless you're talking about bringing in multiple firsts or a pick that's going to get us the next luck or RGIII or larry fitzgerald you're just giving away talent for nothing. would you trade revis for the next muhammad wilkerson or kyle wilson?
    I am talking about Revis for multiple picks in multiple years. The NY Jets are not going to the SB next year WITH Revis or W/O Revis. The Jets are 2/3 years away from even competing as there is no High Quality QB on this roster.

    The NY Jets have a great deal of holes to plug. I would love to keep Revis but how much sense does that make if the Jets cannot win a SB with him?

    This is a multi year rebuilding project

  16. #76
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,888
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    I am talking about Revis for multiple picks in multiple years. The NY Jets are not going to the SB next year WITH Revis or W/O Revis. The Jets are 2/3 years away from even competing as there is no High Quality QB on this roster.

    The NY Jets have a great deal of holes to plug. I would love to keep Revis but how much sense does that make if the Jets cannot win a SB with him?

    This is a multi year rebuilding project
    well in that case sure I'd listen to offers for multiple picks. if I was the GM I'd try to work out a reasonable extension with revis as early as possible once he's 100% healtyh, and if you know there's no hope in resigning him then listen to offers. letting him walk for nothing is not an option

  17. #77
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    I can't imagine the jets would let revis walk if he's signing somewhere else for 12.5 a year. the big question is there a team out that there that's willing to overpay and offer revis in excess of 15-16 AAV

    I am thinking that is what he gets, I don't think he is going to get paid like one of the top DEs, such as Peppers or Williams 6 years and 90 mill. I have been saying all along that 6 and 75 is what his market is going to be. Now I don't think he will not sign for that until he tests the market, but after two weeks post FA I think that is where he finds his value and he signs quickly. Either with the jets or some other team.

  18. #78
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    the cowboys just drafted claiborne and signed carr to a big contract. why would they want revis? if you want to trade revis, I'd look to teams like detroit or maybe GB
    I know that. That's why I said "lucky," in that Jones gets desperate after twice blowing NFCE in back-to-back seasons.

  19. #79
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I know that. That's why I said "lucky," in that Jones gets desperate after twice blowing NFCE in back-to-back seasons.
    or do you think jones finally smartens up an puts more money in his oline and dline

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us