Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Trade Revis" Myth

The "Trade Revis" Myth

In the aftermath of this debacle of a season I've already heard alot of people suggesting that the Jets trade Revis to launch a rebuilding effort, but it would be a terrible idea.

Because of Revis' injury the Jets now have all the leverage when it comes to his contract situation. People are claiming the Jets need to avoid another holdout drama. There is no way in hell Revis will hold out coming off of an acl injury, holding out will not allow him to showcase that he is fully recovered and able to play at his prior level.

We all know Revis is greedy and will want to be the highest paid corner in the league, but he will be forced to play at his base salary and cap hit of 9 million next year, to show the Jets as well as other teams who might be interested in signing him to that next monster contract that he will be worth it.

The other reason to not trade him this offseason is that the Jets would be hard-pressed to even get a first rounder for him at this point, maybe 2 second rounders. NFL exec's don't have the mob mentality of fans...."look at how AP recovered from his ACL injury...Revis will be the same way", he will have to go out on the field and prove it. No team will make an even value offer for him this off season, especially knowing they will be trading for someone demanding a huge pay raise.

The Jets should enjoy having the best 2 corners in the NFL next season, and rebuild their linebackers accordingly with younger, faster, cheaper players.

Not me I dont want to trade Revis wed get more by trading Cro

Rookie
    I'd take 2 seconds for Revis. Our secondary hung in there this year and the cap space and the picks would be a huge plus in our rebuild. Plus no more drama would be welcome.

Do terrible baseball teams need a high priced closer?

I respectfully disagree with you about Revis's trade value. There are college players coming off injury that have been drafted in the round they were predicted to be drafted in.Before the draft Revis will be fully recovered, and believe there wopuld be a number of teams willing to part with there first for him

I would wait until the trade deadline to do something with Revis.

Assuming he is 100% I would either extend or trade him.

What I would not do is let him walk for free.

Even at 9mm this team can't afford him. Get what we can and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    I would wait until the trade deadline to do something with Revis.

Assuming he is 100% I would either extend or trade him.

What I would not do is let him walk for free.
    Revis has leverage with the jets, not much but some.

While he could not hold out, he could take his sweet time coming back.
    (but this does not pressure the jets as they will not be contenders next year)
    He could "refuse" any trade by not agreeing to a extension. (but as long as the money is there I don't see him doing so)

There are so many teams in need of a corner of his caliber, its hard for me to believe, that we can't get a first, and possibly a second also. Even if there are only three teams interested, they'll be somewhat of a bidding war for his sevices

Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    There are so many teams in need of a corner of his caliber, its hard for me to believe, that we can't get a first, and possibly a second also. Even if there are only three teams interested, they'll be somewhat of a bidding war for his sevices
    Geno, A team that trades for revis for the value of a #1 will need to have a deal in place before the deal is finalized. No team is going to give a #1 to rent him for a season. Revis will not sign an extension unless it makes him along the lines of 6 and 75mill with 1/2 guranteed.

Now to his value or what limits it.

1. He costs the jets 9 mill in cap room to trade
    2. They are not that many teams with 13 mill of cap room to get it done.
    3. Any team that plays a zone, Revis is just a Cadillac in a demolition derby
    4. There are not many coaches/GMs that want to make corner the highest paid player on the team.
    5. To get an idea of how money affects trade value. Samuel and Vontae Davis are similar skill corners, ie some probowl consideration. Samuel had to take a cut to get to 3 mill in order for the eagles to get a 6th. Because he only wanted to go to a contender, Davis got a 2nd (which at the time of the trade was thought to be a top of the 2nd) as his contract was for 2 more years at 1 mill each.
    6. no team is going to trade for Revis (your value) without seeing him on the field 1st. that means next summer way after the draft

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Geno, A team that trades for revis for the value of a #1 will need to have a deal in place before the deal is finalized. No team is going to give a #1 to rent him for a season. Revis will not sign an extension unless it makes him along the lines of 6 and 75mill with 1/2 guranteed.

Now to his value or what limits it.

1. He costs the jets 9 mill in cap room to trade
    2. They are not that many teams with 13 mill of cap room to get it done.
    3. Any team that plays a zone, Revis is just a Cadillac in a demolition derby
    4. There are not many coaches/GMs that want to make corner the highest paid player on the team.
    5. To get an idea of how money affects trade value. Samuel and Vontae Davis are similar skill corners, ie some probowl consideration. Samuel had to take a cut to get to 3 mill in order for the eagles to get a 6th. Because he only wanted to go to a contender, Davis got a 2nd (which at the time of the trade was thought to be a top of the 2nd) as his contract was for 2 more years at 1 mill each.
    6. no team is going to trade for Revis (your value) without seeing him on the field 1st. that means next summer way after the draft
    This is basically 90% correct

He is virtually impossible to trade at this point. The best trade chip we have is Cro...he has a large, but not insance cap price and played at the highest level of his career this season.

As soon as he has proven he has recovered, trade him for what we can get. He will hold out again and the new gm will let him walk. Revis is not a team player or team leader and needs to go.

Jets Insider VIP
    The new GM is not going to want to negotiate with revis next year. Its a losing battle for a GM especially when you already have a good corner in cro under contract.

Id take 2 second rounders and never look back.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The new GM is not going to want to negotiate with revis next year. Its a losing battle for a GM especially when you already have a good corner in cro under contract.

Id take 2 second rounders and never look back.
    Agreed.

and the name is MEVIS!

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Agreed.

and the name is MEVIS!

Glad you dumped the Bills logo.

NOBODY is trading two seconds for the greedy one. Or a first or anything of value.
    NOT until and if he proves he is 100%. Just because Peterson recovered does not mean Mevis will. Different athletes. Peterson has never struck me as being a me - greedy person.

revis goes nowhere. you cant trade possibly your best player for a bunch of draft picks that may not even make the team. we all know that scenario all too well.

Quote Originally Posted by InRex_WeTrust View Post
    In the aftermath of this debacle of a season I've already heard alot of people suggesting that the Jets trade Revis to launch a rebuilding effort, but it would be a terrible idea.

Because of Revis' injury the Jets now have all the leverage when it comes to his contract situation. People are claiming the Jets need to avoid another holdout drama. There is no way in hell Revis will hold out coming off of an acl injury, holding out will not allow him to showcase that he is fully recovered and able to play at his prior level.

We all know Revis is greedy and will want to be the highest paid corner in the league, but he will be forced to play at his base salary and cap hit of 9 million next year, to show the Jets as well as other teams who might be interested in signing him to that next monster contract that he will be worth it.

The other reason to not trade him this offseason is that the Jets would be hard-pressed to even get a first rounder for him at this point, maybe 2 second rounders. NFL exec's don't have the mob mentality of fans...."look at how AP recovered from his ACL injury...Revis will be the same way", he will have to go out on the field and prove it. No team will make an even value offer for him this off season, especially knowing they will be trading for someone demanding a huge pay raise.

The Jets should enjoy having the best 2 corners in the NFL next season, and rebuild their linebackers accordingly with younger, faster, cheaper players.
    The jets would absolutely be able to get a 1st rounder...

And AP is not the only example of a great recovery from an ACL injury... The thing is just a 6 month oil change at this point.

That said, I probably wouldn't trade Revis. Guy is a hall of famer and it's just generally a bad idea to get rid of those guys.

Revis

The nonsense posted by some Jets fans on Revis defies logic. Football players have a small window to make as much as they can. It is a business.

I wonder what those individuals who are posting about Revis being greedy do with their compensation packages?

Selfish person. I'd take a 1st and 2nd for Revis or someone like MJD. A corner back alone doesn't win a SB. Cro is under contract for the next few years, I'd rather ride with him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by InRex_WeTrust View Post

I disagree with you. The Offense and special teams need to be rebuilt. We have a ton of FAs that need to be addressed in 2013. If you bite the bullet and trade Revis, you neutralize the Sanchez 8.3 million hit next year and can get a new QB. Bring in a lot of young blood with a new OC, DC and try and make the playoffs.

We have too many issues on both sides of the ball to keep Revis. He only has a year before he is a FA so it is now or never. He might just not be the same player and lose a step coming off the ACL surgery.