Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The "Trade Revis" Myth

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Selfish person. I'd take a 1st and 2nd for Revis or someone like MJD. A corner back alone doesn't win a SB. Cro is under contract for the next few years, I'd rather ride with him.
    Revis is selfish according to your post but MJD also heldout for a new contract. How do you reconcile the two?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    revis goes nowhere. you cant trade possibly your best player for a bunch of draft picks that may not even make the team. we all know that scenario all too well.
    "Trade Revis" is the most shortsighted idea I could imagine at this point.

It's been said elsewhere but what are you guys going to do, trade Revis and use those picks on someone who, if you're lucky, is 75% of the player he is?

Revis is an all-time great at CB if you trade him and get a QB who is at Sanchez or Tannehill's level what is the point?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis ain't goin nowhere. At least for 2013.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we do not trade Revis then we MUST renegotiate his contract this year. Next year will be his last and his contract stipulates we can not franchise him, meaning he will hit the free market. His injury is damn near meaningless. It's not hurting his trade value. He's worth at least a 1st rounder, probably a 1st and 4th. You don't trade him for MJD, that's just stupid. Revis has years of productivity left in him. MJD has 3 at most before he hits the RB wall. Revis wanted to average 16.25 mil a year in his last contract, he will want that or more in the next one.

If we are keeping Rex Ryan then Revis should not be a necessity to this team, period. Rex is a defensive genius, he should be able to prove that genius without having 2 top 10 CB's on the team. We played defense just fine this year without Revis. We need to make major investments on offense and Revis is the luxury chip that gives us a huge head start. If you want to watch a struggling team with a stellar CB then keeping Revis is the answer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    If we do not trade Revis then we MUST renegotiate his contract this year. Next year will be his last and his contract stipulates we can not franchise him, meaning he will hit the free market. His injury is damn near meaningless. It's not hurting his trade value. He's worth at least a 1st rounder, probably a 1st and 4th. You don't trade him for MJD, that's just stupid. Revis has years of productivity left in him. MJD has 3 at most before he hits the RB wall. Revis wanted to average 16.25 mil a year in his last contract, he will want that or more in the next one.

If we are keeping Rex Ryan then Revis should not be a necessity to this team, period. Rex is a defensive genius, he should be able to prove that genius without having 2 top 10 CB's on the team. We played defense just fine this year without Revis. We need to make major investments on offense and Revis is the luxury chip that gives us a huge head start. If you want to watch a struggling team with a stellar CB then keeping Revis is the answer.
    I will say it again, you do not trade the team's best player, and NFL's best CB in a passing League. Especially with Tammy in our division and P. Manning in our conference. That is just dumb.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis is not a QB. If the NY Jets do not get a High Quality QB it won't matter who the CB is

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    I will say it again, you do not trade the team's best player, and NFL's best CB in a passing League. Especially with Tammy in our division and P. Manning in our conference. That is just dumb.
    So you're ok investing 17 mil a year for him?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    "Trade Revis" is the most shortsighted idea I could imagine at this point.

It's been said elsewhere but what are you guys going to do, trade Revis and use those picks on someone who, if you're lucky, is 75% of the player he is?

Revis is an all-time great at CB if you trade him and get a QB who is at Sanchez or Tannehill's level what is the point?
    No one wants to trade Revis but that maybe the best solution to our Cap and QB situation. Trading Revis does two things: 1) It neutralizes Sanchez's 8.3 million salary. 2) And it gets us another number one draft pick at the very least.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ....and STILL have no High Quality QB and no chance for a SB?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetdawgg View Post
    ....and STILL have no High Quality QB and no chance for a SB?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I disagree with you. The Offense and special teams need to be rebuilt. We have a ton of FAs that need to be addressed in 2013. If you bite the bullet and trade Revis, you neutralize the Sanchez 8.3 million hit next year and can get a new QB. Bring in a lot of young blood with a new OC, DC and try and make the playoffs.

We have too many issues on both sides of the ball to keep Revis. He only has a year before he is a FA so it is now or never. He might just not be the same player and lose a step coming off the ACL surgery.
    You do not save any money by trading Revis. He hits the cap for 9 mill either way. This is how Tanny signed him to a contract with a 4 small irst year cap hit.

This is why Tanny is looking for a job this morning. He has assets that can't be traded due to cap hits, other guys that cant be traded due to being overpaid with guarantees. And the biggest chip a combination of the biggest obstacles to getting traded

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes, if that is what it takes. Why would anyone want to dismantle the strength of this team. And please don't tell me it will take us years before we are competitive. That's bs. In today's NFL, with a good draft the Jets can be right back in the mix next year -- just go ask Cincy, Minn, Seattle, etc. We won 6 games that could've easily been a few more. Let's draft well, get rid of some dead weight on the team, and see where we are. I am against strating completely over. It is not necessary in today's NFL nor warranted.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes, if that is what it takes. Why would anyone want to dismantle the strength of this team. And please don't tell me it will take us years before we are competitive. That's bs. In today's NFL, with a good draft the Jets can be right back in the mix next year -- just go ask Cincy, Minn, Seattle, etc. We won 6 games that could've easily been a few more. Let's draft well, get rid of some dead weight on the team, and see where we are. I am against strating completely over. It is not necessary in today's NFL nor warranted.
    Who will be your starting QB? Your backup QB? Your 3rd String QB?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    it makes no sense to trade revis unless he's in a contract season. at that point he will probably try to holdout and get more. he can traded then. multiple picks (2's and 3's) would do wonders to get some fresh blood into the linebacker corps and more oline depth.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Reality

the reality is our pass defense without Darrelle was 3rd in the league. If i told you we could get an impact left guard, and an impact running back who can block,why wouldn't you do it. Plus it clears up cap space

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    the reality is our pass defense without Darrelle was 3rd in the league. If i told you we could get an impact left guard, and an impact running back who can block,why wouldn't you do it. Plus it clears up cap space
    It's time that this team gets measured by how many SB's that they win and not how many players make the HOF or Pro Bowl

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The jets are starting over, what are you talking about? 1/2 of the players are FA or mandated cuts. The jets don't have a qb, a safety, an OLB or a competent guard on the roster, a #1 back, The two DTs who have taken the most snaps will be gone.

Cincy, Minn and Seattle have been building for years. They did not just become competitive because of one draft. Revis may be gone before 2014, Cro and Wilkenson after 2014. What team are you talking about turning around?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    The new GM is not going to want to negotiate with revis next year. Its a losing battle for a GM especially when you already have a good corner in cro under contract.

Id take 2 second rounders and never look back.
    I'd hate to trade Revis, but by most accounts he wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the league. In the age of the salary cap, you can not spend as much money as the Jets have on cornerbacks. Plus, his contract is expiring and he has a proven history of holding out in these situations. The last thing the Jets need is another holdout by Revis. I'd trade him in a second for a top-flight RB like Arien Foster, Jamaal Charles, or DeMarco Murray. The question is does anyone want him knowing how he is when it comes to negotiating a contract.

If I could not get good value for him in a trade, I'd be complete hard-ass refusing to even consider re-negotiating his deal if he holds out. The Jets can play D without him, and the money he wants would be better spent on other areas where the team is not so deep.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you do when you can turn him into players that have more combined value, and especially since the Jets PROVED this year that they DO NOT need Revis to be a dominant pass defense team. Revis needs to be traded.

It comes down really to a first this year, or one more year with Revis and a compensatory third in 2014. I'll go the first way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks as though some may prefer to sign Revis to a BIG contract. Risk him tearing his other knee.

Where is the value in that? He becomes another Ache-Rod.

Trade Revis. Get picks/players. Use the monies for other positions. He will still be a HOF CB and we get a chance for a SB here.