Thread: My Guess on Rex

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

My Guess on Rex

This has to go one of two ways:

1- Staying: The new GM either knows him or currently works for or worked for the Jets.
    2- Going- With the amount of openings out there for a HC they get a draft pick for him and get out of the salary they owe him, see Herm Edwards. If they fire him he will be hired in a minute.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfanfromthestart View Post
    With the amount of openings out there for a HC they get a draft pick for him and get out of the salary they owe him, see Herm Edwards. If they fire him he will be hired in a minute.
    I laughed so hard I blew my corn flakes out my nose.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like his dad, he will never be a HC again. DC, absolutely. In fact he was a DC with us.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1- Staying: The new GM either knows him or currently works for or worked for the Jets.
    They hired an independent firm to find a GM so this is not a possible option.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    lots of speculation but if Woody did in fact hire an executive search firm to find a new GM then all bets are off...Rex may be left twisting in the wind until the new decision maker comes on board.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would any prospective GM come on board if he has to take the existing coaching staff? Any GM that would "settle" for this situation could not be a very good or strong candidate. Another recipe for failure.
    Woody is showing he is a poor leader if rex stays.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Why would any prospective GM come on board if he has to take the existing coaching staff? Any GM that would "settle" for this situation could not be a very good or strong candidate. Another recipe for failure.
    Woody is showing he is a poor leader if rex stays.
    Woody shouldn't have said anything regarding Rex's status until the new GM is hired. If the GM is going to have full power, then it should be his decision on whether Rex stays or not.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

2- Going- With the amount of openings out there for a HC they get a draft pick for him and get out of the salary they owe him, see Herm Edwards. If they fire him he will be hired in a minute.
    Possible. Rex's ego is so big that he may actually think there would be other teams lining up to get him as a HC. From Rex's standpoint though, I think he would be dumb to leave...he's lucky he wasn't fired.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As always, the fan(atic) overreaction to Rex is unbelievable.

Rex is at best an above-average HC and at worst an average HC.

No good GM would ever take the job because Rex will be the HC next year?

BULL-****. There are plenty of teams out there that would be happy to have an above-average to average HC, and I am sure there are a bunch of talented men out there who would be happy to have Rex as a HC.

Also, if this next GM can't contemplate what the Jets could look like past 1 year of having a HC placed on him, I don't want him anywhere near the building. The Jets need a long-term vision. If a guy won't take 1 of only 32 coveted position because he has to deal with an average HC for ONE year, he won't be worth his salt.

How quickly people forget the Herm era

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89 View Post
    As always, the fan(atic) overreaction to Rex is unbelievable.

Rex is at best an above-average HC and at worst an average HC.

No good GM would ever take the job because Rex will be the HC next year?

BULL-****. There are plenty of teams out there that would be happy to have an above-average to average HC, and I am sure there are a bunch of talented men out there who would be happy to have Rex as a HC.

Also, if this next GM can't contemplate what the Jets could look like past 1 year of having a HC placed on him, I don't want him anywhere near the building. The Jets need a long-term vision. If a guy won't take 1 of only 32 coveted position because he has to deal with an average HC for ONE year, he won't be worth his salt.

How quickly people forget the Herm era
    The biggest flaw Rex possesses is the undying fear of offense. He does not trust the offense because he cannot control it. As long as he is head coach we will have an offense ranked 22-32. Simple as that. Sure our defense will be top five ... But the offense will struggle. He has not , nor will he ever, embrace the fact that this is a passing league.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex needs to get over this scary love affair he has with Sanchez.Mark will be back next year,I;m sure the new GM will bring in a vet.Rex needs to start that vet.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    Woody shouldn't have said anything regarding Rex's status until the new GM is hired. If the GM is going to have full power, then it should be his decision on whether Rex stays or not.
    Exactly. Any GM candidate worth his salt who doesn't coincidentally happen to already want Rex as 'his guy' is doing themselves a disservice by coming into a job where they are GM but are stuck with a given coach.

Woody should have just said that they are searching for a new GM and that new GM will be in charge of all football decisions in the organization.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Gotta disagree bud on #2. I think Ryan is radioactive. He conducts himself like a fool. He comes off as one who is completely out of touch with his own persona.

The dude is all over the page emotionally. Whatever team he coaches will be a mirror image.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex needs to get over this scary love affair he has with Sanchez.Mark will be back next year,I;m sure the new GM will bring in a vet.Rex needs to start that vet.
    I had a good talk with Rex, and I know were destined for great stuff here, Sanchez said. I know we can be successful here. So thats what Im focused on. Im excited to come back here and do my very best.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...at-stuff-here/

Rex is planning on starting this clown next year. HEX THE REX!!!!!!!!!!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex is either staying or going... Thank you for your incredible insight Captain Obvious!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think many fans realize how respected Rex really is by his peers. He may appear to play the fool but Rex is anything but. Yes his offenses these last two year have been God awful, but like it or not, believe it or not ,much of that falls on the shoulders of Mark Sanchez. If he were even an average QB, we would have been a 10 win team. We all must remember Rex came in and was saddled with Shotty and his staff. Then last year, it was shades, which the jury is still out on who hirerd him. Yes, Rex sang his praises, but he does that with the worst of them. ( see Gloston and Sanchez). A flaw we all agree he must get over. Rex has other flaws as well ,an maybe just maybe this year was the kick in the ass that will make him understand, it about winning at almost any cost in the NFL and friendship and loyalty can only take you so far.
    So I believe it would not be a bad thing
    To give Rex one more year with a new GM and competent offensive OC and offensive staff to get it right

I also have no problem if the new GM would prefer to bring in his own coaches that he feels would better suit his vision.

I will tell you for sure though, if Rex is let go, he will get another HC gig maybe not this year but very soon. Could do the TV thing for one two and then field offers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, you figured out that this could go one of two ways? 1)stay, or b) go?

How long did it take you?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I almost shlt my pants reading this

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I almost shlt my pants reading this
    Hmmm... maybe Fish could use this to get out of his NYE party.