Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Black Monday Thread (news, tweets, etc.)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Someone posted this in another thread but what GM wouldn't want a free pass for a year or two? That's exactly what they'll get if Rex stays on board... Team could go 1-15 next year and it wouldn't be his fault.
    Very fair point. But that's my issue to begin with. We know the Jets are going to struggle for a year or 2. We need a new QB and have about 10 other positions to fill. So the odds are, after winning 4-8 games next year Rex is a gone anyways. So we are basically hindering our GM search just to keep Rex foor one more season?

Personally I don't really mind keeping Rex but it's just not the right way to go when you can the GM. I wan't my new GM to build things his way for the get-go.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 12-31-2012 at 09:57 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    It's not happening. Rex is coming back in 2013. He's staying and Woody has made that loud and clear. We knew this for weeks.
    How do we know Woody hasn't already hired his new Gm and he has already met with Rex & the new Gm agreed to give Rex anothet year with better players & Woody just hasn't. Announced it yet, & is waiting for his moment to.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not happening. Rex is coming back in 2013. He's staying and Woody has made that loud and clear. We knew this for weeks.
    How do we know Woody hasn't already hired his new Gm and he has already met with Rex & the new Gm agreed to give Rex anothet year with better players & Woody just hasn't. Announced it yet, & is waiting for his moment to.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
    Obviously the fate of some coaches will be tied to whether or not GM changes are made, but it can also work both ways. For instance ...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very fair point. But that's my issue to begin with. We know the Jets are going to struggle for a year or 2. We need a new QB and will have about 10 other positions to fill. So the odds are, after winning 4-8 games next year Rex is a gone anyways. So we are basically hindering our GM search just to keep Rex foor one more season?

Personally I don't really mind keeping Rex but it's just not the right way to go when you can the GM. I wan't my new GM to build things his way for the get-go.
    Also a fair point... If a guy like Gamble told Korn/Ferry he wasn't on board with keeping Rex and that was his sticking point, perhaps Woody backtracks... Wouldn't be the first time this organization said one thing and did another...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    Come one! We just hired an agency to conduct a search. Woody hasn't already hired anyone.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    KC fired coach but not GM. but if KC could get an Andy Reid, but Reid wants a different front office makeup, would owner part w/GM to do so?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very fair point. But that's my issue to begin with. We know the Jets are going to struggle for a year or 2. We need a new QB and have about 10 other positions to fill. So the odds are, after winning 4-8 games next year Rex is a gone anyways. So we are basically hindering our GM search just to keep Rex foor one more season?

Hey if you look at it that way, the new GM also gets a very high pick in the following Draft to start with his new HC.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Someone posted this in another thread but what GM wouldn't want a free pass for a year or two? That's exactly what they'll get if Rex stays on board... Team could go 1-15 next year and it wouldn't be his fault.
    Interesting thought.

I think Rex deserves one more year. I've liked him since day one, but if next season is as sorry as this one, then he'll certainly be gone.

But I think people are overreacting as far as how "difficult" it will be to hire a GM with a coach already in place. With the right offensive coordinator for once and some smart player moves by our new GM, Rex could field a much improved squad next year with an optimistic future. We just need an offensive mastermind to take control of the offense, continue to let Rex work his magic on defense, and see where that takes us. If that fails, then find a new coach with a new plan.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had Rex not had a rookie QB, and then a second year QB in his first two years, the Jets may have a Superbowl under their belt, and we're not debating Rex Ryan. It's not unlike the "Fire Coughlin" chants every other year, except they have Eli, and we have Mark.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL
    Eagles make it official. Andy Reid era is over.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
    #Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie announce Andy Reid is out: "It is time for the Eagles to move in a new direction" http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/ne...3-fecd9728c4ba

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport
    Lions reviewing Schwartz's status, sources say http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/87...ns-sources-say
    Might be in over his head more than Rex.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
    RT @Jeff_McLane: #Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie will have a press conference at noon at the NovaCare Complex.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eagles make it official and announce the firing of Andy Reid. Within a few hours Chargers will do the same with their coach and GM...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    If a guy like Gamble told Korn/Ferry he wasn't on board with keeping Rex and that was his sticking point, perhaps Woody backtracks...
    I like Rex. I wish things we're different but this is exactly what i'm hoping for. I'm hoping after conducting a few interviews, Woody back tracks and realizes most GM's want control in hiring their staff from the start. This could be a GM's one and only shot so the highly sought after guys can demand control and should get it.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 12-31-2012 at 10:06 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Rex. I wish thinks we're different but this is exactly what i'm hoping for. I'm hoping after conducting a few interviews, Woddy back tracks and realizes most GM's want control in hiring their staff from the start. This could be a GM's one and only shot so the highly sought after guys can demand control and should get it.
    Agreed. I'd be angry if Woody stuck by Rex and let a solid candidate skate to SD/Cleveland/Etc... because of it.

I really don't think it'll be a sticking point though. We shall see.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer
    Jags HC Mike Mularkey in team mtg just told players as far as he knows he's still head coach after talking w owner Thurs and today.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Come one! We just hired an agency to conduct a search. Woody hasn't already hired anyone.
    No- the Jets just announced. They hired a firm, Woody probably. did it 1 month ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Eagles announced HC Andy Reid officially dismissed. Press conference at noon ET.

Jay Glazer ‏@JayGlazer
    While Mularkey says he's given indication he is still coach, he probably still has to see how new GM's role plays into it

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    #Jets GM search has begun: Check out potential candidates. http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...-gm-candidates