Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Flynn Contract

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt Flynn Contract

There is going to be a TON of talk about a sanchez - matt flynn swap given the ties to carroll, the west coast etc. So I dug up some info on Flynns contract.

His full signing bonus was $ 6million and he was "guaranteed" $10 million when he signed a 3 year $26milion contract.

2013: $5.25 base salary $2.0 Signing Bonus Allocation Cap Hit: $7.25

2014: $6.25 base salary $2.0 Signing Bonus Allocation Cap Hit: $8.25

His 2013 base salary of $5.25 million is NOT guaranteed, so if the seahawks cut him this season, the remaining $4million of signing bonus would accelerate and be realized for the 2013 cap. (the cap hit number doesnt seem right, but im not an expert)

Sanchez has 1 season at approixmately $8.25 million and after that has no guaranteed money.

I dont know what it would take on our end to "sweeten" a deal to get the seahawks to make this swap....seems like flynn is a lot easier to keep under contract or cut then sanchez is, but figured we should at least discuss this with all possible contract information available.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    There is going to be a TON of talk about a sanchez - matt flynn swap given the ties to carroll, the west coast etc. So I dug up some info on Flynns contract.

His full signing bonus was $ 6million and he was "guaranteed" $10 million when he signed a 3 year $26milion contract.

2013: $5.25 base salary $2.0 Signing Bonus Allocation Cap Hit: $7.25

2014: $6.25 base salary $2.0 Signing Bonus Allocation Cap Hit: $8.25

His 2013 base salary of $5.25 million is NOT guaranteed, so if the seahawks cut him this season, the remaining $4million of signing bonus would accelerate and be realized for the 2013 cap. (the cap hit number doesnt seem right, but im not an expert)

Sanchez has 1 season at approixmately $8.25 million and after that has no guaranteed money.

I dont know what it would take on our end to "sweeten" a deal to get the seahawks to make this swap....seems like flynn is a lot easier to keep under contract or cut then sanchez is, but figured we should at least discuss this with all possible contract information available.
    He's the best available QB out there. It will probably take a pick to get him, though. The 4th rounder, maybe?

If we trade the 4th for him, we can juice up the OL two of the picks in the first three rounds. First three rounds should be OLB, OL, OL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flynn has 2mill of his 2013 salary guaranteed. if he is cut the cap charge will be 6mill, the 2 mill guarantee and the 4 mill in prorated SB, Since his cap hit this year is 7 mill, the Seahawks would save 1mill off the cap to cut him, and any new qb will probably be more money and less talented than Flynn.

It will cost the seahawks only the remaining 4mill of SB to trade him. However if they trade him for sanchez the cap hit will be 12.75 (4 Old Flynn SB + 8.75 Sanchez) this will mean that the seahawks will have a backup QB that cost 10% of the entire cap.

I don't mean to sound like a wise ass but why even discuss this? If the jets want to create Some car room this year, give him 1 mill bonus to take a year off. Ask him to convert 2013 guarantee to 2014 salary. His cap hit this year then goes down to 4.8mill and his next years hit goes to 12.4. You save the 500,000 in a work out bonus.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Seahawks arent paying Russell wilson anything so there is no reason to get rid of flynn. Until Wilson gets a raise, matt flynn will be a seahawk.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Flynn has 2mill of his 2013 salary guaranteed. if he is cut the cap charge will be 6mill, the 2 mill guarantee and the 4 mill in prorated SB, Since his cap hit this year is 7 mill, the Seahawks would save 1mill off the cap to cut him, and any new qb will probably be more money and less talented than Flynn.

It will cost the seahawks only the remaining 4mill of SB to trade him. However if they trade him for sanchez the cap hit will be 12.75 (4 Old Flynn SB + 8.75 Sanchez) this will mean that the seahawks will have a backup QB that cost 10% of the entire cap.

I don't mean to sound like a wise ass but why even discuss this? If the jets want to create Some car room this year, give him 1 mill bonus to take a year off. Ask him to convert 2013 guarantee to 2014 salary. His cap hit this year then goes down to 4.8mill and his next years hit goes to 12.4. You save the 500,000 in a work out bonus.
    So you think its pointless to discuss flynn, and instead suggest that they ask sanchez to take a year off????

Seems like smart suggestion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The posters who think that the jets can trade Sanchez are just better off looking at teams who guaranteed on of their unproductive players a lot of money and take their pig for yours.

For instance if there was another team as stupid as the jets to have guaranteed a player like Holmes 10 mill a trade could happen.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

B

There will be several other teams looking to sign Flynn too, and those teams won't need to work a QB trade to get it done. I would say the odds of Flynn coming here are very low.

The Jets will probably sign someone like Jason Campbell, have an open competition in camp, and let the best QB start in 2013.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you think its pointless to discuss flynn, and instead suggest that they ask sanchez to take a year off????

Seems like smart suggestion.
    Sanchez gets 1 mill to take a vacation and get his head together, the jets cut him in Feb of 2014 and he looks for a new job after a year of working on film and getting his mind in a better spot.

You have to look at it from Seattle's point of view not the jets. It does not make one bit of sense. Carrol "recruited" Flynn to come to Seattle, Carrol likes his skills enough to give him 18 mill over 3 years. What would he tell his owner if he makes this trade? Mr. Nordstrom, This guy that you gave 10 mill to last year, I don't want him anymore instead I want you to pay 8.75 mill for the worse starting qb in the nfl, because he played for me 1 year in college 4 years ago. I really don't need that 8 mill to help improve my team in next year's FA market. You understand right, just sell another 1mill pair of shoes.

I think asking Sanchez to take a sabbatical is more reasonable that you asking Caroll to play out the above scenario.
    Last edited by patman; 12-31-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez will be a Jet in 2013.

nobody will trade for him, and the Jets can't afford to cut him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Sanchez will be a Jet in 2013.

nobody will trade for him, and the Jets can't afford to cut him.
    Correct... But he won't be starting and that's all that matters.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Correct... But he won't be starting and that's all that matters.
    Rex is coming back. If I had to guess now, Sanchez is our opening day starting QB next year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez gets 1 mill to take a vacation and get his head together, the jets cut him in Feb of 2014 and he looks for a new job after a year of working on film and getting his mind in a better spot.

You have to look at it from Seattle's point of view not the jets. It does not make one bit of sense. Carrol "recruited" Flynn to come to Seattle, Carrol likes his skills enough to give him 18 mill over 3 years. What would he tell his owner if he makes this trade? Mr. Nordstrom, This guy that you gave 10 mill to last year, I don't want him anymore instead I want you to pay 8.75 mill for the worse starting qb in the nfl, because he played for me 1 year in college 4 years ago. I really don't need that 8 mill to help improve my team in next year's FA market. You understand right, just sell another 1mill pair of shoes.

I think asking Sanchez to take a sabbatical is more reasonable that you asking Caroll to play out the above scenario.
    Can you offer a single situation to serve as a precedent with a player taking a year off?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Rex is coming back. If I had to guess now, Sanchez is our opening day starting QB next year.
    No chance at Sanchez but REx is definitely back. Sanchez almost cost Rex his job, there's no chance Rex gives him that chance again.

Sorry to rain on your "The Jets are doomed mentality." Just looking at it from the most realistic point of view. He'll probably on the team, just certainly not starting.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Matt Flynn

Expensive Sanchez like flop

Matt Moore

Less expensive veteran who can move right in starr and keep Pickchez chained to the inactive list for a year before being released

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can you offer a single situation to serve as a precedent with a player taking a year off?
    Riggins in Washington in 1980 is the only one that jumps out. Pat Tillman sort of. During the 60s players were drafted and came back such as Rocky Blier.
    But I am sure they were a lot of guys who were out of the league for a year and then caught on with other teams. Pacman Jones was out for almost 3 years. Although 16 months was a suspension.

But what does that have to do with it? That is like me saying did any owner ever devote 10% of his cap room to bring on the worse starting qb in the league?

I tried to think of something that will give the jets cap room this year and defer it to next year when the situation is not dire. There something in it for all parties, Sanchez gets 1 more mill right now, Still gets his 8.25 guaranteed money next year. Gets a year for teams to help forget how terible he was.
    he gets to spend a year working with a qb guru.

The jets get 7 mill of cap room (4.3 SB +1mill vacation) in a year that they need every dollar to tag their RFA and sign Landry etc.

They both get something, Sanchez could even be given a chance to compete in 2014 if both parties wish to pursue that option.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    The posters who think that the jets can trade Sanchez are just better off looking at teams who guaranteed on of their unproductive players a lot of money and take their pig for yours.

For instance if there was another team as stupid as the jets to have guaranteed a player like Holmes 10 mill a trade could happen.
    Any potential trade of Sanchez is premised on the Jets eating half his 13' salary. If they do that, some other team is getting a backup for roughly $4m who is desperately in need of a change of scenery but still has some talent that can be resurrected.

We'll see what Ponder does, but if he sh!ts the bed in the playoffs, its not such a terrible move for the Vikes to bring in a guy like Sanchez to backup Ponder. He hasn't been all that great and they don't have a ton invested in him. If he warrants being benched next year, I could see the potential for a guy like Sanchez to blossom with a running game like that. As well as playing indoors.

If Sanchez collects ~$3m - $4m (mas o menos) from the Jets in the form of a roster bonus, I could see him renegotiating with some other team for 2 yrs/$6m or so for the chance to resurrect his career.

I wouldn't put money on it happening, but its certainly a possibility.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    No chance at Sanchez but REx is definitely back. Sanchez almost cost Rex his job, there's no chance Rex gives him that chance again.

Sorry to rain on your "The Jets are doomed mentality." Just looking at it from the most realistic point of view. He'll probably on the team, just certainly not starting.
    Just being a realist. It's a QB driven league and the Jets will not have a QB.

Keeping Sanchez or not it's going to be a big cap hit on a team already in cap trouble. What QB do you think the Jets are going to be able to sign that's going to perform head and shoulders above Sanchez? Rex's loyalty's have no bounds (i.e. Eric Smith)

Unless they hit on a rookie QB the Jets are in a lot of trouble next year and there's no other realistic way to look at it.

I stand by my statement, opening day starter next year is Marc Sanchez...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Any potential trade of Sanchez is premised on the Jets eating half his 13' salary. If they do that, some other team is getting a backup for roughly $4m who is desperately in need of a change of scenery but still has some talent that can be resurrected.

We'll see what Ponder does, but if he sh!ts the bed in the playoffs, its not such a terrible move for the Vikes to bring in a guy like Sanchez to backup Ponder. He hasn't been all that great and they don't have a ton invested in him. If he warrants being benched next year, I could see the potential for a guy like Sanchez to blossom with a running game like that. As well as playing indoors.

If Sanchez collects ~$3m - $4m (mas o menos) from the Jets in the form of a roster bonus, I could see him renegotiating with some other team for 2 yrs/$6m or so for the chance to resurrect his career.

I wouldn't put money on it happening, but its certainly a possibility.
    Again, the new team will have to take on more than 1 years worth of Sanchez pro rated bonus for the jets to get any benefit this year.
    Trading for Sanchez means that the new team will have to pay him 4.3 mill then.

Why would the Vikings pay 4.3 mill for an alternate in Sanchez, if the Vikings are looking for a qb, that will be the most attractive landing spot in the nfl for any FA qb.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol at Carrell even remotely wanting Sanchez. He had ties with Leinart didn't want him and he was better under Carrell. Flynn is also a total bum. Really finished 3rd in that QB comp and it was his job to loose. I can think of 4 or 5 other patch work QBs that are better and we could get cheaper. I'd rather go after McCoy. Really out side of him I see little reason to think we find a real solution in FA without going bankrupt.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, the new team will have to take on more than 1 years worth of Sanchez pro rated bonus for the jets to get any benefit this year.
    Trading for Sanchez means that the new team will have to pay him 4.3 mill then.

Why would the Vikings pay 4.3 mill for an alternate in Sanchez, if the Vikings are looking for a qb, that will be the most attractive landing spot in the nfl for any FA qb.
    The Jets would have the ability to spread the accelerated cap hit over 2013 and 2014. So....just for sh!ts and giggles, if the Jets could get Sanchez to agree to a slight reduction in salary in order to facilitate a trade, this could happen.....

The Jets give Sanchez a check for $3.5m in the form of a roster bonus.

The Vikings give him a $2.5m in salary or renegotiate something for two years.

The Jets now have $9.5m in dead money that they can at least split over 2 years. Does that hurt? Sure. Is it undoable? Probably not.

And I have no doubt that the Vikings will go into 2013 with Ponder as their QB - he at least took them to the playoffs. But, I'm sure he'll be on a tight leash. It would make sense to have a seasoned QB behind him - not Joe Webb. I'm not sure what FA backup would serve that purpose better than Sanchez at this point.

Again, not likely, but could be a possibility. If Sanchez is willing to take somewhat of a salary hit to GTFO of NY, it could work. Being in NY for another year could let to a mental breakdown for him. He will be the most maligned guy this city has seen in a long while. And that sucks for everyone because he is an overall decent kid. And he's still a kid - he's three years younger than Weeden.