Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40

Thread: Matt Flynn Contract

  1. #21
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    885
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez trades are a pipe dream, his contract is radioactive.

  2. #22
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,953
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    The Jets would have the ability to spread the accelerated cap hit over 2013 and 2014. So....just for sh!ts and giggles, if the Jets could get Sanchez to agree to a slight reduction in salary in order to facilitate a trade, this could happen.....

    The Jets give Sanchez a check for $3.5m in the form of a roster bonus.

    The Vikings give him a $2.5m in salary or renegotiate something for two years.

    The Jets now have $9.5m in dead money that they can at least split over 2 years. Does that hurt? Sure. Is it undoable? Probably not.

    And I have no doubt that the Vikings will go into 2013 with Ponder as their QB - he at least took them to the playoffs. But, I'm sure he'll be on a tight leash. It would make sense to have a seasoned QB behind him - not Joe Webb. I'm not sure what FA backup would serve that purpose better than Sanchez at this point.

    Again, not likely, but could be a possibility. If Sanchez is willing to take somewhat of a salary hit to GTFO of NY, it could work. Being in NY for another year could let to a mental breakdown for him. He will be the most maligned guy this city has seen in a long while. And that sucks for everyone because he is an overall decent kid. And he's still a kid - he's three years younger than Weeden.
    Not for nothing but Joe Webb is better then Sanchez.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    Sanchez trades are a pipe dream, his contract is radioactive.
    Which is why we could need to pay a large part of it and add in a draft pick.

    The point of the thread is to provide flynns cap value so we can see if a trade is possible.

    Is seattle gonna say to themselves, "damn sanchez was snakebitten in NY,lets trade flynn for him" definitely not.

    But is seattle in a situation where they can say, "does sanchez at a reduced number (after the jets pay part of it), and a 4th round pick, make sense for our team?" Maybe they would...

  4. #24
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    407
    Post Thanks / Like
    But is seattle in a situation where they can say, "does sanchez at a reduced number (after the jets pay part of it), and a 4th round pick, make sense for our team?" Maybe they would...

    I think even if the Jets pay part of Sanchez contract, Seattle would still get the full cap hit count on their cap.

  5. #25
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Which is why we could need to pay a large part of it and add in a draft pick.

    The point of the thread is to provide flynns cap value so we can see if a trade is possible.

    Is seattle gonna say to themselves, "damn sanchez was snakebitten in NY,lets trade flynn for him" definitely not.

    But is seattle in a situation where they can say, "does sanchez at a reduced number (after the jets pay part of it), and a 4th round pick, make sense for our team?" Maybe they would...
    I don't understand the notion that Flynn is a top option. based off what 2 good games in a GB offense that was dominant. It makes no sense to spend what it will take to get Flynn only to find out what Pete Carroll did - he's not that good.

    I'd rather draft a QB in the mid rounds 3 through 5 and let him compete with Sanchez throughout camp. If he pans out we have our new starter otherwise Sanchez is the fallback with hopefully revamped offensive coaches and players.

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    The Jets would have the ability to spread the accelerated cap hit over 2013 and 2014. So....just for sh!ts and giggles, if the Jets could get Sanchez to agree to a slight reduction in salary in order to facilitate a trade, this could happen.....

    The Jets give Sanchez a check for $3.5m in the form of a roster bonus.

    The Vikings give him a $2.5m in salary or renegotiate something for two years.

    The Jets now have $9.5m in dead money that they can at least split over 2 years. Does that hurt? Sure. Is it undoable? Probably not.

    And I have no doubt that the Vikings will go into 2013 with Ponder as their QB - he at least took them to the playoffs. But, I'm sure he'll be on a tight leash. It would make sense to have a seasoned QB behind him - not Joe Webb. I'm not sure what FA backup would serve that purpose better than Sanchez at this point.

    Again, not likely, but could be a possibility. If Sanchez is willing to take somewhat of a salary hit to GTFO of NY, it could work. Being in NY for another year could let to a mental breakdown for him. He will be the most maligned guy this city has seen in a long while. And that sucks for everyone because he is an overall decent kid. And he's still a kid - he's three years younger than Weeden.
    Who maligns the #3 qb. He is not under any pressure, he competes for the starting job or not. He gets to sit back and collect 8.75 mill next year.
    The best thing for his career, is to sit for a year, study film, work with a qb guru and get cut in 2014. he is a FA with a market of 16 teams that may be interested in him for a 1mill contract with some playing time incentives.

    Picture this scenario. after sitting for a year and making almost 9mill, working with Jim Tedford and Eric Mangini on mechanics and reading defenses, he signs a 2 year contract with the Broncos to back up Peyton. A good Oline, good Receivers and a mentor to hold his hand. When he is 28 Peyton retires and he then has a shot at taking over. I see that as a much more likely scenario than him being traded.

  7. #27
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    It won't happen. Pete Carroll found his QB for the future in Russell Martin.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    I don't understand the notion that Flynn is a top option. based off what 2 good games in a GB offense that was dominant. It makes no sense to spend what it will take to get Flynn only to find out what Pete Carroll did - he's not that good.

    I'd rather draft a QB in the mid rounds 3 through 5 and let him compete with Sanchez throughout camp. If he pans out we have our new starter otherwise Sanchez is the fallback with hopefully revamped offensive coaches and players.
    What about Flynn that you think is not that good. Carroll sensed something in Wilson and made him the starter, even though Flynn had a better preseason. Harborgh in SF did the same thing, changing a qb when the first qb was leading the league in rating and completion percentage. BB staying with Brady even when Bledsoe and his 8 mill a year contract and overall #1 pick, who took a team to the superbowl was ready to go.

  9. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Any potential trade of Sanchez is premised on the Jets eating half his 13' salary. If they do that, some other team is getting a backup for roughly $4m who is desperately in need of a change of scenery but still has some talent that can be resurrected.

    We'll see what Ponder does, but if he sh!ts the bed in the playoffs, its not such a terrible move for the Vikes to bring in a guy like Sanchez to backup Ponder. He hasn't been all that great and they don't have a ton invested in him. If he warrants being benched next year, I could see the potential for a guy like Sanchez to blossom with a running game like that. As well as playing indoors.

    If Sanchez collects ~$3m - $4m (mas o menos) from the Jets in the form of a roster bonus, I could see him renegotiating with some other team for 2 yrs/$6m or so for the chance to resurrect his career.

    I wouldn't put money on it happening, but its certainly a possibility.
    A logical, non-absolute post.

    I agree, I could see Sanchez's contract getting restructured in a way that the other team is on the hook for $6M over 2 years - maybe even less? Now, it's not clear anyone would want him even at *that* price, but $6M over 2 years is definitely not a "toxic" contract.

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    I don't understand the notion that Flynn is a top option. based off what 2 good games in a GB offense that was dominant. It makes no sense to spend what it will take to get Flynn only to find out what Pete Carroll did - he's not that good.

    I'd rather draft a QB in the mid rounds 3 through 5 and let him compete with Sanchez throughout camp. If he pans out we have our new starter otherwise Sanchez is the fallback with hopefully revamped offensive coaches and players.
    Do the rest of us need to be here for your conversation where you are arguing with yourself.

    I said a 4th round pick - and eat some of sanchezs money to get flynn. You said keep sanchez and draft someone with 3-5th pick.

    So if i think that flynn for a 4th is less risky then a 3-4-5th round draft pick then i would say that yes he is less risky as he has actually played at a high level in NFL games, albeit only a limited amount of them.

  11. #31
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Posts
    16,334
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Not for nothing but Joe Webb is better then Sanchez.
    Sad but true!

  12. #32
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Who maligns the #3 qb. He is not under any pressure, he competes for the starting job or not. He gets to sit back and collect 8.75 mill next year.
    The best thing for his career, is to sit for a year, study film, work with a qb guru and get cut in 2014. he is a FA with a market of 16 teams that may be interested in him for a 1mill contract with some playing time incentives.

    Picture this scenario. after sitting for a year and making almost 9mill, working with Jim Tedford and Eric Mangini on mechanics and reading defenses, he signs a 2 year contract with the Broncos to back up Peyton. A good Oline, good Receivers and a mentor to hold his hand. When he is 28 Peyton retires and he then has a shot at taking over. I see that as a much more likely scenario than him being traded.
    I'm not saying that categorically won't happen or that won't benefit him. Its just that I've never heard that happen. Its not like Bill Cowher going to the broadcast booth for a few years and then coming back to coach. What kind of competitor willingly takes himself out of the game for a year? Just don't see that happening when its never happened before.

    And certainly not as a higher probability than him getting traded.

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,798
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Sanchez will be a Jet in 2013.

    nobody will trade for him, and the Jets can't afford to cut him.
    I think he ends up on IR next season and the Jets eat the money for 1 season until it's eventually easier to cut him. Knicks did exactly that with Marbury. Jets have to clean house at the QB position.

    Get rid of Tebow, Suckchez and McElmouth.

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm not saying that categorically won't happen or that won't benefit him. Its just that I've never heard that happen. Its not like Bill Cowher going to the broadcast booth for a few years and then coming back to coach. What kind of competitor willingly takes himself out of the game for a year? Just don't see that happening when its never happened before.

    And certainly not as a higher probability than him getting traded.
    i think either possibility is less than 5% unless the jets decide to take some of next years cap hit this year.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,798
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    I don't understand the notion that Flynn is a top option. based off what 2 good games in a GB offense that was dominant. It makes no sense to spend what it will take to get Flynn only to find out what Pete Carroll did - he's not that good.
    +1

    I don't understand the man-juice for Flynn. There's a reason why he lost his job so easily in Seattle to a 5'11 rookie and his coach that went to Miami didn't want him. Dude is a game-manager with a big price tag that will cost us picks. Cue the "what ru talking about, he had high completion % in preseason" - yea because he was checking it down the entire time I saw the games on NFL Network. He reminds me of Trent Richardson the scrub in Buffalo a few yrs ago who couldn't make it work with TO.

    Pass.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 12-31-2012 at 01:35 PM.

  16. #36
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm not saying that categorically won't happen or that won't benefit him. Its just that I've never heard that happen. Its not like Bill Cowher going to the broadcast booth for a few years and then coming back to coach. What kind of competitor willingly takes himself out of the game for a year? Just don't see that happening when its never happened before.

    And certainly not as a higher probability than him getting traded.
    Home many non productive players ever had a guaranteed contract for almost 9mill dollars. In a case like this, you have to think out of the box.

  17. #37
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    +1

    I don't understand the man-juice for Flynn. There's a reason why he lost his job so easily in Seattle to a 5'11 rookie and his coach that went to Miami didn't want him. Dude is a game-manager with a big price tag that will cost us picks. Pass.
    100 percent agree

    Flynn is a Sanchez waiting to happen IMO


    we should sign Matt though


    MATT MOORE

  18. #38
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,798
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    Sanchez trades are a pipe dream, his contract is radioactive.
    IR baby.

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,798
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    100 percent agree

    Flynn is a Sanchez waiting to happen IMO


    we should sign Matt though


    MATT MOORE
    I don't like Moore either. Guy is a total JAG. Anytime a team goes into their season with him at #1 on the depth chart he's benched by week 3. See 2010 Panthers and this year's Dolphins.

  20. #40
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,798
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Home many non productive players ever had a guaranteed contract for almost 9mill dollars. In a case like this, you have to think out of the box.
    No one is trading for Suckchez. We're lucky the Jags still have interest in Tebow otherwise we'd be stuck with two scrub qb's on our roster eating up a combined $11 mil in cap room.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us