Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DONE- Jets fire GM Mike Tannenbaum and Rex STAYS! (MERGED)

DONE- Jets fire GM Mike Tannenbaum and Rex STAYS! (MERGED)

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescri...m/Default.aspx

New York Jets owner Woody Johnson announced this morning that GM Mike Tannenbaum will not return to the Jets in 2013. Rex Ryan will remain as the Jets coach.

Mort just said the same.

And now the 20+ threads on the same subject commence...

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

....until the new GM gets here and calls his own shots.

SAR I

Veteran
    Finally official not really big news as it was plain as day for 3 months now.

So he's been outright fired and not just reassigned?

Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    correct

now we just need the new GM to fire Rex and start putting together a new plan with a new coach

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    Is that your way to say you were WRONG? Read Woody's statement. Rex will get another year. Stability is what we need plus a new structure in the Front office.

"Not returning to the Jets" sounds like a full blown axing. Blowing crazy $MM will tend to piss off your employer.

Then again...

Quote Originally Posted by Minkaveli View Post
    correct
    Well that is really good news then.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Yes. It's the only way to get a quality GM to join up.

No one would want the old GM (two actually, with Bradway) looking over his shoulder.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    "Not returning to the Jets" sounds like a full blown axing. Blowing crazy $MM will tend to piss off your employer.

Then again...
    Looks like he's out COMPLETELY from what I'm reading

http://thejetsblog.com/nyjets/mike-tannenbaum-fired/

Maybe our New GM will like Tebow.

SAR I
    Happy New Year, Sar. "Meet the new boss, the same as the old boss."

Agree

Yes. It's the only way to get a quality GM to join up.

No one would want the old GM (two actually, with Bradway) looking over his shoulder.

SAR I
    I agree with you about the GM and let's hope he has complete control to make all football decisions.

By the way, Lovie Smith had to coach his butt off this year under a new GM.

All Pro
    Woody's statement, per the Daily News:

Jets fire GM Mike Tannenbaum; Rex Ryan to remain as head coach
    BY MANISH MEHTA
    BY MANISH MEHTA
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    The Jets kicked off Black Monday by announcing that general manager Mike Tannenbaum has been fired and Rex Ryan will remain the head coach. Offensive coordinator Tony Sparano will reportedly be fired as well although no official announcement has been made.

Owner Woody Johnson, who didn’t make the trip to Buffalo to watch the Jets’ season-ending loss to the Bills, released the following statement.

“Our 2012 season was a disappointment to all of us. My goal every year as owner is to build a team that wins consistently. This year, we failed to achieve that goal.

“This morning, I informed Mike Tannenbaum that he will not return for the 2013 season. Mike devoted 15 years of service to the Jets, and I want to thank him for his hard work and dedication. Although he helped guide us to two consecutive AFC Championship games, we are not where we want to be, and a new General Manager will be critical to getting this team back on the right track.

“Starting immediately, we will conduct a search for a new General Manager. I've consulted with a number of football executives and I have also engaged the services of Korn/Ferry International, the same search firm that conducted the NFL Commissioner search in 2006. Our process with Korn/Ferry will be led by Jed Hughes, who heads their sports practice and who previously led the General Manager search for the Seattle Seahawks, among others. When we have updates on this process, we will provide them to our fans and the media.

“Rex Ryan will remain the Head Coach of our football team. I believe that he has the passion, the talent, and the drive to successfully lead our team.

“Like all Jets fans, I am disappointed with this year’s results. However, I am confident that this change will best position our team for greater success going forward.”

Happy Rex is staying.. Think he's capable of winning a super bowl. Fact that he got to two championship games with a garbage QB is proof of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiev80 View Post
    Is that your way to say you were WRONG? Read Woody's statement. Rex will get another year. Stability is what we need plus a new structure in the Front office.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Minkaveli View Post
    correct
    This is a step in the right direction. most GMs like to bring in their own guy as HC, but perhaps the next GM will be ok with giving rex 1more yr with an overhauled roster and coaching staff.