Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DONE- Jets fire GM Mike Tannenbaum and Rex STAYS! (MERGED)

Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    This is a step in the right direction. most GMs like to bring in their own guy as HC, but perhaps the next GM will be ok with giving rex 1more yr with an overhauled roster and coaching staff.
    I have been saying the same thing all along. no GM wants to straddle his guy with the mess that the 2013 jets are in.

The new GM brings in his guy in 2014, no Holmes, no Sanchez, 50 mill of cap room, another year of back to back bottom 12 finishes leaves the jets with some new talent, Making the HC position very attractive to get the best guy out there in 2014.

Rex and Tanny created this mess, let Rex ride it out.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    ....until the new GM gets here and calls his own shots.

SAR I
    Hopefully this is the case. The GM should absolutely call his own shots, whether or not he wants Rex. Rex should not be forced upon the new GM, it might prevent us from getting the right guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I guess Shades is keeping his job?
    I think Rex at his PC today will announce some of the potential coaching staff changes, that will probably include Sparano being gone.

Typical Woody move: Half a job.

2013: 6-10. Then you can fire Rex.

SOJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    LOL

+ 1

I hope the SOJF that are upset with this move do the needful and jump off the bandwagon

Agreed... SOJF mentality of just wanting change and getting rid of everyone if you don't make the playoffs. Constant turnover and no winning because of it.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I have been saying the same thing all along. no GM wants to straddle his guy with the mess that the 2013 jets are in.

The new GM brings in his guy in 2014, no Holmes, no Sanchez, 50 mill of cap room, another year of back to back bottom 12 finishes leaves the jets with some new talent, Making the HC position very attractive to get the best guy out there in 2014.

I'm fine with this scenario.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    F-ck Woody Johnson. He can't do anything right. By forcing Rex down the throat of any potential new GM, he is drastically reducing the pool of applicants. Only the inexperienced, the losers and the incompetent would accept having Rex inserted up their rectums in order to become the Jets GM. A real GM would insist on control over the HC choice. Woody has f-cked us over once again
    The other way to look at it is this:

The new GM gets hired with a free first year. If the Jets suck again, Ryan gets fired next season and the new GM's clock starts ticking in 2014 not 2013. A new GM may find that appealing.

The new GM also has a complete coaching staff in place, far less daunting than to show up on Day 1 all alone and having to build from scratch.

Korn/Ferry is running this show, they advised Woody on this strategy. If a fantastic candidate emerges who wants no part of Rex Ryan and is capable of building everything from scratch, Rex will go next week.

It's a process.

SAR I

F-ck Woody Johnson. He can't do anything right. By forcing Rex down the throat of any potential new GM, he is drastically reducing the pool of applicants. Only the inexperienced, the losers and the incompetent would accept having Rex inserted up their rectums in order to become the Jets GM. A real GM would insist on control over the HC choice. Woody has f-cked us over once again
    It actually makes sense to have the GM work with Rex for one more year, as long as there's an understanding that if it doesn't work out, he can make a coaching change next year. It's going to take some time to bring in a GM and for him to evaluate everything. By the time that all happens, the better coaching candidates will already have been hired elsewhere.

This is right, when you really look at it...The Jets are going to be terrible next year anyway. With Rex on staff the new GM gets a pass for year 1 and he can really start building the team in 2014. Better long term plan.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankiev80 View Post
    By making your font bigger, it doesn't make your statement any more correct. You are 100% wrong. The players love playing for Rex. We need stability while the entire structure of the front office is changed. Lovie Smith kept his job when a new GM was hired. This is silly. A new GM will have final say and I am sure if he wants to fire Rex, he will be able to. We need a GM that can evaluate talent. There are lots of candidates out there. Let the new GM make all final decisions regarding the draft. No more Rex getting to waste one pick on a busted FB. Rex is a very good coach who deserves a chance to be back. This team fought all year and won 6 games with the worst QB play in the NFL. Imagine if he had a real QB and a real Off Coordinator.
    Bingo.

The Steelers kept Cowher when they changed GM's in 2000...after a 6-10 season...and went on to win the Superbowl 2 years later with the same coach.

Wait I did that wrong. Lemme try again.

The Steelers kept Cowher when they changed GM's in 2000...after a 6-10 season...and went on to win the Superbowl 2 years later with the same coach.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    He's here dude... The owner just announced it. The guy will be the coach for at least one more year. If we don't make playoffs then you can pretty much guarantee that the new GM will hire his own guy.

Or the GM just likes Rex and plans to stick with him.

Dunno why so many Jets fans are so willing to get rid of the guy who's the 2nd best coach in this team's garbage history.
    That's like saying that hole was the 2nd smallest hole on the titanic. Lol.

But you are correct. Rex is getting a 1 year tryout like Mangini got with Holmgren and Lovie Smith got with the Bears this season.

Hall Of Fame

Exactly, let Rex fall on the sword next year, the new GM brings in his coach when the team can have a fresh start, lots of cap room, and most likely a top 10 draft pick again.

WOW

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    rex ryan is safe for today. a new gm may opt to fire him and bring in his own guys. this story is far from over.
    A guy with a brain posting on this site. Great and logical post! I agree 100%.

Rookie
    Relax, not really that bad a move by the owner.
    Rex knows he has one year to get his act together as a head coach. No more loyalty to all these players who were not performing,as most should be gone when the new GM gets out the ax.
    I think Woody saw Rex getting 6 wins out of the garbage he had on OFF is why he gets one more chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfanfromthestart View Post
    A guy with a brain posting on this site. Great and logical post! I agree 100%.
    Except the owner already said Rex is staying as HC. So it wasn't so logical.

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    The other way to look at it is this:

The new GM gets hired with a free first year. If the Jets suck again, Ryan gets fired next season and the new GM's clock starts ticking in 2014 not 2013. A new GM may find that appealing.

The new GM also has a complete coaching staff in place, far less daunting than to show up on Day 1 all alone and having to build from scratch.

Korn/Ferry is running this show, they advised Woody on this strategy. If a fantastic candidate emerges who wants no part of Rex Ryan and is capable of building everything from scratch, Rex will go next week.

It's a process.

SAR I
    I think we are already seeing the benefit of hiring Korn/Ferry. THey probably advised Woody to remove Tanny from the organization. So far Woody has made two solid and strong moves. Hiring Korn/Ferry and firing Woody all together.

All League

RT @AlbertBreer: Two good names on Jets GM search who have worked there, understand the market -- San Francisco's Tom Gamble and Miami's Brian Gaine.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Who did Briane Gaine scout?

just say no to briane gaine.

All League
    Woody made the right move. All these teams that were certain to fire their HCs already have put feelers out to potential candidates and said candidates have been working on compiling staffs.

Next year Rex will have all new coordinators and will have a major turnover of the roster. He is dead coach walking. Now our new GM can take the next 12 months and invest it in a new HC search with the right assistants.

We are in cap hell for 2013 but look at how much cap space we will have in 2014. It will be a VERY attractive job then.