Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: this idea that the Jets GM job isn't desirable is ***ing laughable

this idea that the Jets GM job isn't desirable is ***ing laughable

there are 30 of these ****ing jobs int he world. They pay absurdly well. any GM job in the NFL, REGARDLESS of where it is or the situation, is incredibly desirable

I agree with what you're driving at but this year there's a ton of vacancies and fans are worried (incorrectly so IMO) that the top candidates will head elsewhere given our owners stance on the HC...

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    there are 30 of these ****ing jobs int he world. They pay absurdly well. any GM job in the NFL, REGARDLESS of where it is or the situation, is incredibly desirable
    for 90% of the talented competent applicants this is a dream job, Woody has shown he will write checks. Your in a market that many players don't mind paying the tax penalty in order to play in. The only down side to this job is Woody getting more involved than what is needed for the other 10% of the applicants.

Good OP.

NFL GM jobs are dreams for all of these guys. NY is a great place to work. These guys would love the challenge of fixing this team and winning here

Bingo! You are absolutely right!

it's a great job. like you said, there only 32 of them in the world. It's definitely a tough job considering you have a roster that needs an infusion of talent, some big decisions to be made, etc. And a candidate that backs off this challenge is a GM I wouldn't want anyway. Nothing better than a hungry go-getter willing to take on a challenge. let's find one.

and its not like HC jobs that come and go much more often.. Plus ex HCs go right into TV if they get canned,some prefer it.. Many more qualified gms candidates then there is qualified HC candidates.. Look who tampa hired for HC last yr lol..

I agree..one of the biggest markets but the challenge will be how long it takes him to clean up Tanny's mess.

New GM should WANT Rex as a coach for a year. Gives a year where there is a built in scapegoat if things are not turned around immediately (they wont be). Basically gives the new GM a free year without blame, while ensuring the dfense will be very competitive. Seems like a good situation to me.

All League
    I think it was lombardi that said its not a big deal that rex is still here, that they won't have a problem finding a good GM that would want to work here.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    New GM should WANT Rex as a coach for a year. Gives a year where there is a built in scapegoat if things are not turned around immediately (they wont be). Basically gives the new GM a free year without blame, while ensuring the dfense will be very competitive. Seems like a good situation to me.
    This has been my take exactly.

Jets Insider VIP
    The fact that there are only 30 of these jobs is precisely what makes the Jets version undesirable.

If you're a hot-shot GM candidate, you want to take a job that you feel you can succeed at. The best GMs know and understand that this means having control over all aspects of the football operations, including your coach. The players you acquire need to be a part of a shared plan and vision by the coach and GM.

So, take a job with hurdles, take a chance that you will fail, and be out in 2-3 years with never another chance to get this kind of job again.

Good GM candidates will wait for the right job. The only people jumping at the Jets job will be those in the lower tier.

Maybe if its the first job of an unproven guy who wants to get his foot in the door. But to any experienced and successful GM, coming to a team where the coach has been picked and the former GM might work in the building---well thats absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    fans are worried (incorrectly so IMO) that the top candidates will head elsewhere given our owners stance on the HC...
    I remember the Browns tried to find a GM after hiring Mangini as HC first. The best candidate they apparently got was this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Kokinis who left a year after taking the job. Then they tossed money at Mike Holmgren who left Mangini on as a sacrifical lamb for one year.

It's not a good way to run an organization as much as I like Rex.

Yeah, but that doesn't fit the SOJF mentality that we are doomed forever. Nobody wants us and the league will have to disband the team.

Quote Originally Posted by halfsharkalligatorhalfman View Post
    I remember the Browns tried to find a GM after hiring Mangini as HC first. The best candidate they apparently got was this guy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Kokinis who left a year after taking the job. Then they tossed money at Mike Holmgren who left Mangini on as a sacrifical lamb for one year.

It's not a good way to run an organization as much as I like Rex.
    There are plenty of teams who hire a coach and then add the GM and such around him.

Cleveland is going to do it now. New England is obviously built that way. And don't give me the bull**** comment that "Well, Bill Belichick wins super bowls" because that current setup was given to him before he won super bowls.

Ultimately, the coach is more important than the GM and the GM should be an extension of the coach. This is what Parcells wanted and it's really just the best way to do it. You really can't do both jobs, but the GM has to be someone who thinks in line with the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    There are plenty of teams who hire a coach and then add the GM and such around him.

Cleveland is going to do it now. New England is obviously built that way. And don't give me the bull**** comment that "Well, Bill Belichick wins super bowls" because that current setup was given to him before he won super bowls.

Ultimately, the coach is more important than the GM and the GM should be an extension of the coach. This is what Parcells wanted and it's really just the best way to do it. You really can't do both jobs, but the GM has to be someone who thinks in line with the coach.
    They both are equally important, The GM has to put the HC in position to win by getting him talented players. The HC has to put to gather a staff to develop that talent and put a game plan and structure in place that will allow the team to succeed on the field.

The GM being a long term position with a long range goals needs to have the power to hire and fire the head coach. There is nothing unusual with a new gm taking over a team with an existing HC. This gives him a year to evalute both the coach and the team.

1) second class citizen in their own stadium
    2) competing in a division against the Patriots
    3) a loud mouth coach that has no filter
    4) trust fund owner/proven tax cheat interested in ticket sales first and foremost
    5) wretched roster
    6) high tax zone
    7) skeptical fan base
    8) cut throat press corps

You guys are nuts to think this Jets job is a gem...and because of the above factors, the Woody will likely overpay to bring in a credible GM. This is a tear down/rebuild long term project but with an owner that prefers band aid remedies covered with lots of makeup. There is very little foundation to build upon and without a capable QB in the house, what is the upside except....just to collect a big check? Some people actually want to succeed in their job. Think about the first hire this new GM will make....OC.....yes, OC candidates, come to NY and work with our dynamic QBs ..... oooooooh. Reality is that a turnstyle of rehashed failures on their last legs....ie...Tony Sporano will be working the sideline next year feeding plays to FA QBs that couldn't make a starters lineup for their last teams.
    Keeping Rex means the Jets aren't serious about wiping the slate clean and I fear this team is a few more years away from Rock bottom....instead prolonging the decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrew View Post
    1) second class citizen in their own stadium
    2) competing in a division against the Patriots
    3) a loud mouth coach that has no filter
    4) trust fund owner/proven tax cheat interested in ticket sales first and foremost
    5) wretched roster
    6) high tax zone
    7) skeptical fan base
    8) cut throat press corps

You guys are nuts to think this Jets job is a gem...and because of the above factors, the Woody will likely overpay to bring in a credible GM. This is a tear down/rebuild long term project but with an owner that prefers band aid remedies covered with lots of makeup. There is very little foundation to build upon and without a capable QB in the house, what is the upside except....just to collect a big check? Some people actually want to succeed in their job. Think about the first hire this new GM will make....OC.....yes, OC candidates, come to NY and work with our dynamic QBs ..... oooooooh. Reality is that a turnstyle of rehashed failures on their last legs....ie...Tony Sporano will be working the sideline next year feeding plays to FA QBs that couldn't make a starters lineup for their last teams.
    Keeping Rex means the Jets aren't serious about wiping the slate clean and I fear this team is a few more years away from Rock bottom....instead prolonging the decline.
    There is no rock bottom in football. This is a BS myth. If there were we would have been better throughout the 90's. The Jets are a team that is good on Defense and bad on offense. It is as simple as that. On D we have some youth mixed with veteran talent. Assuming we can resign Landry our secondary is the best in the league. The missing piece is an OLB but we should be able to address that in this coming draft.

Our offense is one of the worst in the league. How much of that is due to Starting the worst QB in the league is hard to say. The next GM's primary job is to find a solution at QB. It is as simple as that. Holmes, Edwards, Kerley, Hill is a servicable combo with a REAL QB. At RB we simply need to draft 1-2 more prospects and see if one pans out. Powell is average as well. More important is a offensive coordinator that can implement a screen game which we have severely lacked since LT left.

To succeed with REX as HC the next OC will need to be someone that has a resume which demands respect. The title of GURU wouldn't hurt. I like a Brian Billick type but I doubt he would be willing to leave the booth. Norv seems like an obvious choice.

One thing makes the Jets job desirable:

Rich boy Republican Woody has plenty of it. If he can give a small fortune to Mitt Romney he can give big bucks to a big name GM.