Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: this idea that the Jets GM job isn't desirable is ***ing laughable

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez 3:16 View Post
    He also helped create a Top 10 defense every year, back to back AFC Championship appearances for the first time in franchise history, most playoff wins by a HC in franchise history, developed one of the arguably best corners of all time, and had one losing season in four years.

Which will you take, your adjectives or my facts?
    As a defensive genius he may be second to none but a HC needs to nurture the offense and also establish a professional organization. He did neither.

His first 2 years the team won in spite of the horrendous offense and yes the D carried the team for 2 years. It caught up to him, and what you've seen the last 2 years are truly his teams. The culture in that locker room is broken and not repairable under his tutelage, forget those 2 playoff years with him they will not repeat themselves.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Didn't you say you were done with the Jets?
    LOL, yes, what you are witnessing are withdrawal pains, I was a NY Met fan from 1967 through about 1990, after 1990 I still held out hope for about 2-4 years after but it never came, I have now been a true Yankee fan for about 22 years.

I suspect my 44 year allegiance to the Jets may end up being the same way, could take me several years to ween off.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    there are 30 of these ****ing jobs int he world. They pay absurdly well. any GM job in the NFL, REGARDLESS of where it is or the situation, is incredibly desirable
    Pretty ignorant post. Not all GM jobs are equal.

If you are entering a situation where you don't have a say on who the coach is - which seems to be the case here - that would be a considerably less desirable GM job than where you have autonomy.

It seems that Bill Polian decided rather quickly that this gig is not at all desirable, so I would take his opinion over yours.

All League
    There are more GM openings than usual this year and it may come down to the owner. The ideal GM postion is one where he is free to bring his own guy (coach) and who'll get little to no operational meddling or micro managing for ownership. Not implying the new GM would or should dismiss Rex but anyone worth his salt will choose the job where he has the most autonomy.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    There are more GM openings than usual this year and it may come down to the owner. The ideal GM postion is one where he is free to bring his own guy (coach) and who'll get little to no operational meddling or micro managing for ownership. Not implying the new GM would or should dismiss Rex but anyone worth his salt will choose the job where he has the most autonomy.
    I bet they would also like to go where an owner is not afraid to spend money

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Cant imagine the Jax job more appealing than NY. Ever been there?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Pretty ignorant post. Not all GM jobs are equal.

If you are entering a situation where you don't have a say on who the coach is - which seems to be the case here - that would be a considerably less desirable GM job than where you have autonomy.

It seems that Bill Polian decided rather quickly that this gig is not at all desirable, so I would take his opinion over yours.
    Not only that...most of these guys are financially secure, having earned 7 figures for many years. I would imagine the weakest candidates have a net worth of 5 to 10 million. They don't choose a job becausenf a few hundred thousand.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Cant imagine the Jax job more appealing than NY. Ever been there?
    No but I've heard enough to keep it that way.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Not only that...most of these guys are financially secure, having earned 7 figures for many years. I would imagine the weakest candidates have a net worth of 5 to 10 million. They don't choose a job becausenf a few hundred thousand.
    It should say something that Woody Johnson has never hired someone with experience in the leadership role he was recruiting. Virgin HCs and and virgin GMs.

The last time the Jets were able to land an experienced HC was Bill Parcells and that doesn't really count because he was bribed to come here as head of football operations - a role in which he never had previous experience.