Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: Something Schein Said Yesterday is True

  1. #1

    Something Schein Said Yesterday is True

    The 2012 Colts had the highest amount of "dead" cap money ever.

    Yes, they have Andrew Luck so it is unlikely that we will be 11-5 next year, but the Jets need to embrace this philosophy to build the team back up as quickly as possible.

    The Jets need to clear house, regardless of the cap hits, like the Colts did, and right the ship for 2014 and after.

    They need to:

    Cut Sanchez (June 1)

    Cut Scott

    Cut both Smiths

    Cut DeVito

    Cut Pouha

    Cut Calvin Pace

    Cut B Thomas

    Cut Keller

    Consider cutting Holmes

    Consider trading Revis

    We will be a very young team in 2013, and probably struggle. But the cancers need to be cut (Sanchez and Holmes) and we need to absorb as much cap pain in 2013 as possible so we are prepared for the future. Stockpile picks and start developing this team organically.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    The 2012 Colts had the highest amount of "dead" cap money ever.

    Yes, they have Andrew Luck so it is unlikely that we will be 11-5 next year, but the Jets need to embrace this philosophy to build the team back up as quickly as possible.

    The Jets need to clear house, regardless of the cap hits, like the Colts did, and right the ship for 2014 and after.

    They need to:

    Cut Sanchez (June 1)

    Cut Scott

    Cut both Smiths

    Cut DeVito

    Cut Pouha

    Cut Calvin Pace

    Cut B Thomas

    Cut Keller

    Consider cutting Holmes

    Consider trading Revis

    We will be a very young team in 2013, and probably struggle. But the cancers need to be cut (Sanchez and Holmes) and we need to absorb as much cap pain in 2013 as possible so we are prepared for the future. Stockpile picks and start developing this team organically.
    Scott, Thomas, DeVito, and Pace are most likely gone.

    I would keep Jason Smith. He had a nice year for us coming off the bench. I would cut Eric Smith.

    Keller is interesting. I don't know what his value is to other teams. Same with Sione Pouha.

  3. #3
    I brought this up in a thread last night. This answers all the folks who are saying guys like Sanchez and Holmes, amongst many others, can't be cut.
    We just need Woody to take off his clueless glasses and see/embrace Irsay's method.

  4. #4
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    169
    Would any team consider trading for Santonio Homes for a bag of potato chips and we could roll with Hill, Kerley, and possibly Braylon next season? That would also save a bunch of money and get some young potential players in here for little money for other positions. Just speculating on possible scenarios to save some money without all the extreme dead money issues.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    20,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I brought this up in a thread last night. This answers all the folks who are saying guys like Sanchez and Holmes, amongst many others, can't be cut.
    We just need Woody to take off his clueless glasses and see/embrace Irsay's method.
    I agree. But Irsay had the benefit of knowing he had a great QB on the horizon. I am sure that helped him make his decision.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Scott, Thomas, DeVito, and Pace are most likely gone.

    I would keep Jason Smith. He had a nice year for us coming off the bench. I would cut Eric Smith.

    Keller is interesting. I don't know what his value is to other teams. Same with Sione Pouha.
    Jason Smith has I believe a $12 million cap number next year. Would not be opposed to vet minimum type of re-sign.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Scott, Thomas, DeVito, and Pace are most likely gone.

    I would keep Jason Smith. He had a nice year for us coming off the bench. I would cut Eric Smith.

    Keller is interesting. I don't know what his value is to other teams. Same with Sione Pouha.
    Jason Smith is getting cut 100%. The question is if he resigns (or restructures in order to avoid being cut) with the team. He has an $11.250 million roster bonus due (which counts against the cap). No chance in hell he sees that money, so unless he restructures his deal to avoid that bonus, we'd have to resign him on the open market and compete with other teams who may want him because he's being cut for sure.

  8. #8
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Scott, Thomas, DeVito, and Pace are most likely gone.

    I would keep Jason Smith. He had a nice year for us coming off the bench. I would cut Eric Smith.

    Keller is interesting. I don't know what his value is to other teams. Same with Sione Pouha.
    I'm not sure if he will ever be able to play a full season again. That's my fear and that's why I'd consider parting ways with him.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I agree. But Irsay had the benefit of knowing he had a great QB on the horizon. I am sure that helped him make his decision.
    I get this. My point is that there is a way to get out of the Sanchez contract. It will just cost Johnson (name gets more apropos by the hour) money.
    And we'll be in a rebuilding mode next year anyway, right?

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    22,213
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzershot18 View Post
    Would any team consider trading for Santonio Homes for a bag of potato chips and we could roll with Hill, Kerley, and possibly Braylon next season? That would also save a bunch of money and get some young potential players in here for little money for other positions. Just speculating on possible scenarios to save some money without all the extreme dead money issues.
    Keep Holmes for one more season until Hill, Kerley learn their trade a bit better. We are set at receiver with these guys plus Braylon and Cumberland at TE.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    The 2012 Colts had the highest amount of "dead" cap money ever.

    Yes, they have Andrew Luck so it is unlikely that we will be 11-5 next year, but the Jets need to embrace this philosophy to build the team back up as quickly as possible.

    The Jets need to clear house, regardless of the cap hits, like the Colts did, and right the ship for 2014 and after.

    They need to:

    Cut Sanchez (June 1)

    Cut Scott

    Cut both Smiths

    Cut DeVito

    Cut Pouha

    Cut Calvin Pace

    Cut B Thomas

    Cut Keller

    Consider cutting Holmes

    Consider trading Revis

    We will be a very young team in 2013, and probably struggle. But the cancers need to be cut (Sanchez and Holmes) and we need to absorb as much cap pain in 2013 as possible so we are prepared for the future. Stockpile picks and start developing this team organically.
    Just proves that the QB can change everything.

    Hate when people say things to the effect that "This team needs so much more than just a QB" when it's just not true in the NFL....

  12. #12
    agree with you. not cutting these players b/c their contracts are too big and the jets would have to absorb a lot of guranteed money anyway is like saying a cancer cannot be removed from someone's body because it is too big and removing it would be too risky.

    to take this analogy further, sure if the patient in question is a 97 year old man with lots of underlying medical issues who is going to die anyway, leave the big tumor in and let the man live the rest of his life in peace.

    But if the patient is a previously healthy 45 year old man, he would ACCEPT the high risk of the surgery for a chance to be CURED of the disease.

    so which way do the jets want to go? do they want to be that 97 year old guy and sputter along just to avoid the pain of rebuilding or be that 45 year old who is going to accept the short term pain for future gains?

    there's no question which way an NFL team should go here - yes, do what the colts did! absolutely. cut away the cancers - starting with sanchez.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Just proves that the QB can change everything.

    Hate when people say things to the effect that "This team needs so much more than just a QB" when it's just not true in the NFL....
    Well it is true. And we KNOW that Sanchez is not it and never will be so I would cut bait with him now.

    If I were the Jets I would look into trading for Cousins, possibly Flynn and I would definitely draft at least one maybe two QBs in the draft.

    P.S. Add Tebow to the list of absolute trades/cuts

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    That's what an almost flawless draft does for you when you get a bunch of contributors as rookies:

    Andrew Luck
    Dwyane Allen
    Vick Ballard
    Coby Fleener
    TY Hilton
    Jerrell Freeman (PS I think)

    Six players who are having major roles in their first season. As a comparison we only got Coples, Stephen Hill and Demario of whom basically none was a starter in his first year.

    And not too mention, Indy was lucky to have the record they had this year. Lots of close wins against a weak schedule.

  15. #15
    Yes but overall it was still around 40 mil in dead cap. Unless we draft a great rookie QB it doesn't work out well. We have too much in guarantees outside of that to rebuild like Indy did. Indy had something like 60 mil in cap space to built we can't find that.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    The 2012 Colts had the highest amount of "dead" cap money ever.

    Yes, they have Andrew Luck so it is unlikely that we will be 11-5 next year, but the Jets need to embrace this philosophy to build the team back up as quickly as possible.

    The Jets need to clear house, regardless of the cap hits, like the Colts did, and right the ship for 2014 and after.

    They need to:

    Cut Sanchez (June 1)

    Cut Scott

    Cut both Smiths

    Cut DeVito

    Cut Pouha

    Cut Calvin Pace

    Cut B Thomas

    Cut Keller

    Consider cutting Holmes

    Consider trading Revis

    We will be a very young team in 2013, and probably struggle. But the cancers need to be cut (Sanchez and Holmes) and we need to absorb as much cap pain in 2013 as possible so we are prepared for the future. Stockpile picks and start developing this team organically.
    +1 totally agree!! the direction we should go..but heres the problem..does woody see it that way?? and is rex willing to take on the job of a rebuilding process..theres no Luck out there so the chances of the jets making a playoff run like Indy just did is small at best

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by jets19keyshawn View Post
    agree with you. not cutting these players b/c their contracts are too big and the jets would have to absorb a lot of guranteed money anyway is like saying a cancer cannot be removed from someone's body because it is too big and removing it would be too risky.

    to take this analogy further, sure if the patient in question is a 97 year old man with lots of underlying medical issues who is going to die anyway, leave the big tumor in and let the man live the rest of his life in peace.

    But if the patient is a previously healthy 45 year old man, he would ACCEPT the high risk of the surgery for a chance to be CURED of the disease.

    so which way do the jets want to go? do they want to be that 97 year old guy and sputter along just to avoid the pain of rebuilding or be that 45 year old who is going to accept the short term pain for future gains?

    there's no question which way an NFL team should go here - yes, do what the colts did! absolutely. cut away the cancers - starting with sanchez.
    How many of us can honestly say that watching Sanchez for another year is acceptable? Personally, I can't stomach the idea of him throwing all those mindless picks (or losing fumbles) for another season. I've broken enough furniture.

    Sanchez has had 52 turnovers the last two years. I think eating his contract is worth every penny.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Yes but overall it was still around 40 mil in dead cap. Unless we draft a great rookie QB it doesn't work out well. We have too much in guarantees outside of that to rebuild like Indy did.
    I am not sure there is anyone on that list that you would not get comparable production from a low round draft pick or UDFA. The Jets just need to excise the cancer as a previous poster called it, that Tannenloser left us with.

  19. #19
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,697
    I'd agree if we had Andrew Luck gift wrapped as well

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I'd agree if we had Andrew Luck gift wrapped as well
    Luck was Indy's pick regardless. Irsay dumping all the dead wood, and eating the cost, was a business decision after realizing his franchise needed a new start.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us