Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tannenbaum statement

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    The Jets went from drafting hi character guys and signing them long term to getting bad boys on the last years of contracts with the philosophy that "Rex can handle them." They passed on drafting a guy like Freeman in their assigned draft spot to trade up, make a splash and draft the GQ USC quarterback.

All those moves backfired.
    But the team went to two consecutive AFCCG's with some of the aforementioned "bad boys" and failed to get there with the "choir boys."

You can't have it both ways.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    While Tannenbaum made some horrible decisions, I can't sit here and bash the guy today. He's been a part of this franchise during it's most successful run in their history, and he helped assemble a roster that has been in the post season more times than not since 1997. That being said, it was time to move on, and I wish him the best of luck wherever he may end up (unless if it is in the AFC east)
    In those 16 years, the Jets went to the playoffs 7 times.

If want to look at his tenure as GM, 3 times in 7 years.

Pretty underwhelming IMO.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Our roster sucks, I have no sympathy for him. It's not been fun being a fan of this team the past two years and it was his fault...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Our roster sucks, I have no sympathy for him. It's not been fun being a fan of this team the past two years and it was his fault...
    This guy gets it.

Was he a nice guy? Publicly, it seemed so. But nice guys finish last and this is a business where people in his position are judged on their success, not how nice they are. Dick Steinberg was a nice guy too. But he was one of the worst GM's in Jets history.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Statement from Mike Tannenbaum

I want to thank Woody and his entire family for giving me the opportunity of a lifetime -- serving as the General Manager of the New York Jets for seven years.

I am incredibly grateful to have been a part of rebuilding a winning tradition for Jets fans over the past 15 years. My days with Coach Parcells through my years as General Manager of the team that went to back-to-back AFC Championship games have been the fulfillment of a dream I have had since I was a little kid and I'll always be grateful to Woody, the two head coaches, Rex and Eric, as well as all of the players, staff and the entire organization for this opportunity.

While of course it is disappointing to not achieve the ultimate goal of winning a championship, I am incredibly proud of our overall winning record and success. I feel very fortunate to have been the general manager who drafted cornerstone players during a period that yielded four playoff victories and 22 Pro Bowl appearances.

I appreciate that it is rare for someone to stay with one organization with such a wide range of responsibilities for so many years. My time with the Jets will always be special to me and my family and it has prepared me well for whatever comes next.

There are champions on this team that haven’t been crowned yet. I am confident that the base we've established will allow the New York Jets to continue a winning tradition for years to come and I wish everyone in the organization the best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    An 8-8 record followed by a 6-10 record is not a "winning tradition". This Jets organization is delusional. While many fans can't remember who lost the AFC Championship last year, the Jets cling to the losses from two years ago like there isn't a loser every year. Then they keep on pretending there is a "winning tradition" and that Mark Sanchez is a franchise quarterback that gives the team "the best chance to win." Stop pretending and start over already.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey whatever. what did anyone think he'd say?

the bottom line is tannenbaum fell into the same trap as many gm's in thinking the players were much better than they actually were and not realizing there is some value in blowing things up at times. he tried to fill holes with free agents and while that worked with some players like pace and cromartie it failed with players like jenkins, favre and even woody (not they didn't have talent but they didn't stay around long enough due to injury). the revolving door at receiver was troubling and is the one compelling reason to think sanchez has a chance being qb again.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who's gonna recruit at UMASS now?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Concise, accurate and it had to be said.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    This guy gets it.

Was he a nice guy? Publicly, it seemed so. But nice guys finish last and this is a business where people in his position are judged on their success, not how nice they are. Dick Steinberg was a nice guy too. But he was one of the worst GM's in Jets history.
    In his personal life Tanny is likely a nice guy, but we can't forget how many players have accused him of lying to them over the years.

At times Tanny has proved himself to be dishonest and incompetent. He made good moves and bad, and eventually the bad far outweighed the good.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    An 8-8 record followed by a 6-10 record is not a "winning tradition". This Jets organization is delusional. While many fans can't remember who lost the AFC Championship last year, the Jets cling to the losses from two years ago like there isn't a loser every year. Then they keep on pretending there is a "winning tradition" and that Mark Sanchez is a franchise quarterback that gives the team "the best chance to win." Stop pretending and start over already.
    Exactly.

3 playoff appearances in 7 years as GM and 7 playoff appearances in 16 years as a member of the personnel deptartment is not a "winning tradition."

I can't stand PR speak.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    In his personal life Tanny is likely a nice guy, but we can't forget how many players have accused him of lying to them over the years.

At times Tanny has proved himself to be dishonest and incompetent. He made good moves and bad, and eventually the bad far outweighed the good.
    QFT

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens Jet Fan View Post
    The Jets went from drafting hi character guys and signing them long term to getting bad boys on the last years of contracts with the philosophy that "Rex can handle them." They passed on drafting a guy like Freeman in their assigned draft spot to trade up, make a splash and draft the GQ USC quarterback.

All those moves backfired.
    Freeman isn't exactly setting the world on fire

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Freeman isn't exactly setting the world on fire
    I lost all respect for him on draft day when he sounded like a pouting baby who just lost his best friend because he didn't get drafted as high as he expected.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we never go after Peyton and subsequently bring in Tebow is Tanny still GM today?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    when I was an enlisted man in the USAVN I had the opportunity to meet quite a few individuals with the same first name as yours

and most of them were efficient at only one thing, getting their enlisted men killed unnecessarily

sounds like you might actually be a Colonel

That is the single most ignorant and offensive comment I have seen on this board yet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tannenbaum took over a terrible team in 05 by 08 he had assembled what looked like the first real SB team since 98. The Thursday night win over NE followed by the beating we gave TN in TN the following week had me believing that we had the goods on both sides of the ball. Favre hurts his arm, Mangini get unloaded and we get fooled by 2 mini-playoff runs with teams on the slide.

Tanny did what the owner hired him to do, put the Jets in contention when the PSL's went on sale. We need a personal guy to rebuild the team again. Tanny was a great hire by Woody.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Been covering #Jets for long time, but today 1st time a fired coach/exec stopped by press room to thank media Classy move by M. Tannenbaum.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Been covering #Jets for long time, but today 1st time a fired coach/exec stopped by press room to thank media Classy move by M. Tannenbaum.
    thanks for firing me

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Is it me or has Cimini been much less of a douche this year ?