Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets ask 49ers to Interview Tom Gamble for GM

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    No one has stated that such a stipulation exists. Woody just said that Rex remains coach while they search for a GM. THey are very far from the same. If anything, with the outright firing of Tannenloser and the hiring of the search firm it seems that maybe Woody realizes that half measures are not needed. There is a chance the new QM would want Rex to stay so no sense in firing him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Gamble is being reviewed by JAX, SD, NYJ at a minimum.

Lots of competition for this guy.
    Regardless of what happened this season. The Jets are still a very good choice for any new GM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    No one has stated that such a stipulation exists. Woody just said that Rex remains coach while they search for a GM. THey are very far from the same. If anything, with the outright firing of Tannenloser and the hiring of the search firm it seems that maybe Woody realizes that half measures are not needed. There is a chance the new QM would want Rex to stay so no sense in firing him yet.
    you have it backwards...He says they will be searching for a GM and then he states Rex will remain the HC...Again, he could have easily said the coaches under contract will be reviewed by the new incoming GM..But he didn't.

Rex is here for 2013. ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I don't think that's all that esoteric a goal. Tanny, despite his non-football background, understood that as well. We had two top 6 picks and attempted to fill those needs. Unfortunately, he/they failed spectacularly in that regard. If the Jets hit on either of those picks, it's a completely different team.

For all those saying that this roster is devoid of talent, add a legit pass rusher and a competent+ QB and this a playoff team.
    Yeah, but the guy has had seven drafts and seven offseasons and this what he has produced from the edge rusher/OLB position -- one draft pick and one free agent signing. Gholston was an epic bust and Pace, while competent, has been overpaid for five seasons now. That's absurd. I get that Rex values CBs and how he runs the defense via disguising pressure and coverages, but we need to pay more attention to the OLB position. That was an issue even before Rex became coach. It just shows poor player evaluation at that position by our front office. On the rare instance we try to address the ever so important position, we've blundered bad, and both instances happened before Rex's tenure.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Regardless of what happened this season. The Jets are still a very good choice for any new GM.
    Agreed....... This guy appears to be a good evaluator of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Oh yes--

1. Cap issues
    2. No QB
    3. Inferior Coach who you have stick with for another year.
    4. Owner who is totally blind.

Just the perfect job for a top notch guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't think Rex's presence will be an impediment to getting a quality GM like some are saying.

Rex has a decent resume and will be on the best behavior because he will have only 1 yr left on his contract after the 2013-14 season.

Also, the GM will have cart blanche to put together an offensive staff after the debacle that just happened and Rex handpicking Sparano.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Despite the fact that Gamble worked with his father?

One NFL insider is not enough to deter me.

Bottom line is that the position is going to be filled by somebody. It will be filled by somebody who we will not know the caliber of until they go on the job.
    His father was disliked by the great majority of people that worked with him. Buddy Ryan was not a well liked man by any means. The players that he liked loved him, bust most other people did not. This is a guy that punched somebody he worked with, can you imagine how verbally abusive he was.
    I am trying to think of one coach that worked with him that spoke fondly of him.

But his Dad has nothing to do with Rex, most people seem to like Rex.

I would think that philly which is where he has his roots is the 'natural" landing spot.
    Last edited by patman; 12-31-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Oh yes--

1. Cap issues
    2. No QB
    3. Inferior Coach who you have stick with for another year.
    4. Owner who is totally blind.

Just the perfect job for a top notch guy.
    But as others have pointed out..He gets a "free 2013"..Then he cans Rex, Sanchez, Holmes, others and frees up $XXM for a new HC and coaching staff...It then becomes more attractive..

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    you have it backwards...He says they will be searching for a GM and then he states Rex will remain the HC...Again, he could have easily said the coaches under contract will be reviewed by the new incoming GM..But he didn't.

Rex is here for 2013. ugh!
    It doesnt say that at all and for some reason the media is running with it as well. We initially heard that Tanny would be reassigned and that turned out to not be the case so Woody seems open to adjusting his view. If every candidate says I am interested but I want my guy I think the signs are pointing to Woody possibly making the correct call and conceeding this issue. It will come down to interviews and the vision the GMs present.

Otherwise, Woody has 2 choices likely in Clinkscalses and Cohen and thats it, and if he wanted to go hat route he would have moved Tanny to cap guy. Just dont accept what the media and a press release says, look at the process so far and it belies that conclusion.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I don't think Rex's presence will be an impediment to getting a quality GM like some are saying.

Rex has a decent resume and will be on the best behavior because he will have only 1 yr left on his contract after the 2013-14 season.

Also, the GM will have cart blanche to put together an offensive staff after the debacle that just happened and Rex handpicking Sparano.
    You don't know that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    But as others have pointed out..He gets a "free 2013"..Then he cans Rex, Sanchez, Holmes, others and frees up $XXM for a new HC and coaching staff...It then becomes more attractive..
    This leads into the "retaining Rex is a good thing" point.

If 2013 is a "free year" and there is a likely rebuilding mode, isn't it better to have Rex here than have a new HC who could be tainted with a bad initial season?

Think about it. The last 5 Jets HC had a winning season their first year with the team (Parcells, 9-7, Groh, 9-7, Herm, 10-6, Mangini, 10-6, and Rex, 9-7).

Do we want the new HC starting his tenure with a losing record because of a bad roster?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    You don't know that.
    You really think Rex gets to handpick another OC?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    It doesnt say that at all and for some reason the media is running with it as well. We initially heard that Tanny would be reassigned and that turned out to not be the case so Woody seems open to adjusting his view. If every candidate says I am interested but I want my guy I think the signs are pointing to Woody possibly making the correct call and conceeding this issue. It will come down to interviews and the vision the GMs present.

Otherwise, Woody has 2 choices likely in Clinkscalses and Cohen and thats it, and if he wanted to go hat route he would have moved Tanny to cap guy. Just dont accept what the media and a press release says, look at the process so far and it belies that conclusion.

New York Jets chairman and CEO Woody Johnson issued the following statement this morning:

Our 2012 season was a disappointment to all of us. My goal every year as owner is to build a team that wins consistently. This year, we failed to achieve that goal.

This morning, I informed Mike Tannenbaum that he will not return for the 2013 season. Mike devoted 15 years of service to the Jets, and I want to thank him for his hard work and dedication. Although he helped guide us to two consecutive AFC Championship Games, we are not where we want to be, and a new General Manager will be critical to getting this team back on the right track.

Starting immediately, we will conduct a search for a new General Manager. I've consulted with a number of football executives and I have also engaged the services of Korn/Ferry International, the same search firm that conducted the NFL Commissioner search in 2006. Our process with Korn/Ferry will be led by Jed Hughes, who heads their sports practice and who previously led the General Manager search for the Seattle Seahawks, among others. When we have updates on this process, we will provide them to our fans and the media.

Rex Ryan will remain the Head Coach of our football team. I believe that he has the passion, the talent, and the drive to successfully lead our team.

Like all Jets fans, I am disappointed with this year’s results. However, I am confident that this change will best position our team for greater success going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I just read Gamble spent two year with the Jets. Maybe we have an in?
    he probably still has a couple of shirts left.

This leads into the "retaining Rex is a good thing" point.

If 2013 is a "free year" and there is a likely rebuilding mode, isn't it better to have Rex here than have a new HC who could be tainted with a bad initial season?

Think about it. The last 5 Jets HC had a winning season their first year with the team (Parcells, 9-7, Groh, 9-7, Herm, 10-6, Mangini, 10-6, and Rex, 9-7).

Do we want the new HC starting his tenure with a losing record because of a bad roster?
    I have been saying the same thing, Rex helped create this mess, let him deal with it.

Jaguars don't worry me because Tim Tebow is going there so that will be a detriment to itself, unless Gamble is really high on Tebow.

Chargers may be the best situation this year, but next year the Jets and Chargers situations become equal in terms of cap space and carte blanche.

Throw in the ties to the Jets and the local area and I think we have the advantage.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

You really think Rex gets to handpick another OC?
    Are we really sure Rex picked the last one? Do we really know who was the driving force behind Tebow? Do we know anything about what really happens behind the scenes?

I don't think we do. But it seems unrealistic for the head coach not to have a say on who will be the most important person reporting to him on the coaching staff.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Jaguars don't worry me because Tim Tebow is going there so that will be a detriment to itself, unless Gamble is really high on Tebow.

Chargers may be the best situation this year, but next year the Jets and Chargers situations become equal in terms of cap space and carte blanche.

Throw in the ties to the Jets and the local area and I think we have the advantage.
    Yeah, for Gamble, his choices are the Chargers and San Diego. He lives in SF and can stay in state or go back to his "hometown." He's not going to Jacksonville.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Are we really sure Rex picked the last one?
    According to Adam Schein who had a direct quote from Rex on the Sparano hiring, yes, Rex handpicked Sparano.