Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets ask 49ers to Interview Tom Gamble for GM

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    doesnt matter hes part of the organization thats trying to win a super bowl.
    That won't prevent an interview.

Would love to believe this is even a possibility.. Ugh, I think we're getting setup for disappointment.

I think Id prefer Idzik but Gamble would be a solid choice.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    We needed corn and ferry for this? 95% of the board was saying to interview this guy.

Woody should just cut JI a check for 200K and let us run with this.
    The devil is in the details and we don't have the inside scoop what he asked Corn and Ferry to do.

I like the idea of Gamble but if he wants to bring Alex Smith here then we are wasting our time. The guy is not a good QB and we are never winning a super bowl with him. Harbaugh knew this and moved on the first moment he thought he had something better.

SIGN THIS BEAST.

Make it happen Tanny! ...oh

Whoever becomes our next GM, should they be receiving a promotion, wouldn't have to wait until after the playoffs to announce their move. I don't see how the scouting executive leaving in the middle of a playoff race would be a distraction for a team. It's not a coach.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Let me play devil's advocate for a second.

Is he a target because he is a "ground and pound" guy?

If so, I think it is a mistake. Ground and pound needs to go. It's yesterday's philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Let me play devil's advocate for a second.

Is he a target because he is a "ground and pound" guy?

If so, I think it is a mistake. Ground and pound needs to go. It's yesterday's philosophy.
    Not necessarily. The type of ground and pound is the key.

I.E the Washington Redskins and the run option has been very successful and was on display last night.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    i dont see the 49ers allowing this until after thier season is over.
    why? In his current position he is merely scouting draft prospects not team operations for a game.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    If he's smart he'll take the job from the team that says you can fire our Head Coach and bring in your own guy (Fingers crossed for Greg Roman).
    +10000

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I like the idea of Gamble but if he wants to bring Alex Smith here then we are wasting our time. The guy is not a good QB and we are never winning a super bowl with him. Harbaugh knew this and moved on the first moment he thought he had something better.
    Smith is far better then Suckchez. He can manage a game properly and without ints and fumbles. In a Ground and Pound attack, that is what is needed! Suckchez might not beat out McElroy for second string! Its time for him to go to the CFL.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    +10000
    Why is anyone excited about Roman? That offense is run by Harbaugh. Nearly every aspect of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Agreed, Smith is too much alike with Sanchez. On a totally stacked team the guy looks passable. Put anything realluy on his shoulders and he will crumble badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Smith is far better then Suckchez. He can manage a game properly and without ints and fumbles. In a Ground and Pound attack, that is what is needed! Suckchez might not beat out McElroy for second string! Its time for him to go to the CFL.
    He wasn't until Harbaugh arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Interesting that Gamble has history both with the Jets and Buddy Ryan's late 80's eagles.

I think this hire bodes well for Rex Ryan bc of the above, but moreso from the standpoint of similarity bw the niners and rex's vision.
    Shhhhh! Be careful...

Joe W. Namath and SAR would get upset with this news.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    He worked for the Eagles from 1988 to 1994, working as a college scouting administrator, area scout, contract negotiator, and eventually director of pro scouting.

Per Niners nation.

So he was there during Buddy Ryan's tenure and he followed Rich Kotite to the Jets. Whaddya know? Kotite's presence might actually have a benefit.

Oh Ironies of Ironing of the Ironies....

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    No kidding. It's the first name we've seen. Apologies for cluttering your day.
    Cmart, a little touchy? No clutter here, I got all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Agreed, Smith is too much alike with Sanchez. On a totally stacked team the guy looks passable. Put anything realluy on his shoulders and he will crumble badly.
    Difference is that Smith is a more accurate passer than Sanchez.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    He wasn't until Harbaugh arrived.
    Coaching counts I guess! Maybe we can trade Suckchez to SF for Smith! Harbaugh might be able to work wonders with Sucky. Then Roman will follow the new GM to NY ( ihope)and we will be better off. Do you know Smith's fumble /int record? It surely is not nearly as bad as Sanchez'. His TD to INT ratio is far superior too. Remember we are talking about game managers here not franchise QBs. In that regard Smith bests Sanchez by a mile and its not all due to coaching. The guy is pretty talented.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 12-31-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Permission I guess is required because the Niners are in the postseason. Normally you wouldn't have to ask permission if the position you were discussion was a promotion
    Actually, I'm not sure that is the case.

Remember when Herm Edwards was here? When he was looking for a new DC after he fired Ted Cottrell, he requested permission from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to interview Rod Marinelli, their defensive line coach.

Moving from DL coach to DC you would think is a promotion and yet Herm was turned down altogether.