Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets ask 49ers to Interview Tom Gamble for GM

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by aagarcia View Post
    Nope= OLB, OL, TE, OL

That's the way to go. Bring in Matt Moore and another vet and all compete with McElroy. Then draft QB next year.
    Nail, meet head

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Nail, meet head
    This can make us competitive quickly while still looking to rebuild.

Jets Insider VIP
    This can make us competitive quickly while still looking to rebuild.
    I'd like to see us acquire a WR too, but you're right. Just need someone to hold down the fort for one more year as we build up a decent offense. You could easily cut your turnover numbers in half just by getting any JAG QB. That could be at least a couple wins right there alone. That's how bad Sanchez was this season. Historically bad.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    The last time a "ground and pound" team won the Super Bowl was 12 years ago.

Neither the 49ers, the Ravens are Redskins will win the SuperBowl this year.
    I think you can have a predominantly ground and pound offense, but you also have to have the ability to throw when needed and your offense, if G&P, needs to ba bale to move the ball and score TD's. If you can do that and have a great D, you will win a ton of games.

I don't really get the people who keep saying it is a QB driven league and you have to be able to sling the ball all over the field. If that is the case, you better be able to sling it just as good as Brady, Peyton, Brees, etc. If you can only do it 90% as well you will lose almost all of the time.

Having a G&P with a great D and a competent QB, you can keep those offenses off the field and control the clock, but you can;t be like the Jets this year with countless 3 and outs and turnovers and turnovers for points.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Last things first, the Giants last year were an anomaly. They had the worst rushing attack in the NFL, but countered that by having a career year from their starting QB.

As to ground and pound, it is effective with a good QB. But as you say, if a team has a good QB, they don't call it ground and pound.

So, in the end, the argument should be between balanced offense versus pass heavy offense. I think a balanced attack can still win in the NFL.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    I think you can have a predominantly ground and pound offense, but you also have to have the ability to throw when needed and your offense, if G&P, needs to ba bale to move the ball and score TD's. If you can do that and have a great D, you will win a ton of games.

I don't really get the people who keep saying it is a QB driven league and you have to be able to sling the ball all over the field. If that is the case, you better be able to sling it just as good as Brady, Peyton, Brees, etc. If you can only do it 90% as well you will lose almost all of the time.

Having a G&P with a great D and a competent QB, you can keep those offenses off the field and control the clock, but you can;t be like the Jets this year with countless 3 and outs and turnovers and turnovers for points.
    it's about playmakers, and making plays. bottomline. ground and pound is one aspect of it. ground and pound is what you do to wear down an opponent, loosen up a defense in order to strike or to close out games.

whatever the operative philosophy is, as an offense you have to get the ball in the endzone. it's not enough to march up and down between the 20's. and score field goals.

With football, all phases are integrated. They all bleed into one another.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Yeah, for Gamble, his choices are the Chargers and San Diego. He lives in SF and can stay in state or go back to his "hometown." He's not going to Jacksonville.
    Unless he is sure that the Jags are going to move to LA, why would he want the headache of taking a team that can never fill its own stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    it's about playmakers, and making plays. bottomline. ground and pound is one aspect of it. ground and pound is what you do to wear down an opponent, loosen up a defense in order to strike or to close out games.

whatever the operative philosophy is, as an offense you have to get the ball in the endzone. it's not enough to march up and down between the 20's. and score field goals.

With football, all phases are integrated. They all bleed into one another.
    Yes, but QB play is far away the most important of those phases. If you have quality QB play you could lack in other areas. Whereas if you don't have quality QB you must be VERY good at EVERYTHING else.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post

It is a QB driven league and if you don't have a really good QB you're probably not winning a Super Bowl. So if you have a really QB, you don't need G&P.

All Pro
    It is a QB driven league and if you don't have a really good QB you're probably not winning a Super Bowl. So if you have a really QB, you don't need G&P.
    I get it but what I am trying to say is all these "experts," mostly on the NY radio, are saying you need a QB who can throw it all over the field. My point is 1. there are not that many that can do it without turning it over way too much, and 2. if you have a QB that can do it but you go up against a team with a QB that does it better, you WILL lose.

All League
    Agreed. We had the number 1 rushing attack and defense in 2009 and pretty close to that in 2010. We outclassed in both AFCCGs and I'm not sure if anyone could argue that we would have had a chance against NO or GB.

So we were the epitome of G & P and couldn't get to the SB.

What's more difficult: finding a QB or maintains the # 1 rushing attack AND defense?

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Yes, but QB play is far away the most important of those phases. If you have quality QB play you could lack in other areas. Whereas if you don't have quality QB you must be VERY good at EVERYTHING else.
    This only applies to elite QBs.

I think watching Brady twice every year has clouded our minds.

Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    Agreed. We had the number 1 rushing attack and defense in 2009 and pretty close to that in 2010. We outclassed in both AFCCGs and I'm not sure if anyone could argue that we would have had a chance against NO or GB.

So we were the epitome of G & P and couldn't get to the SB.

What's more difficult: finding a QB or maintains the # 1 rushing attack AND defense?
    We also made it to the AFCCG both those years despite having a far inferior QB, because we had an excellent defense, and a good running game.

In 2010 we went on the road and beat two of the best QBs to ever play the game, in the playoffs. Playoff football just isn't as simple as the team with the best QB wins.

There's no one way to make it to the Super Bowl. Of course it helps a ton to have a Brees, Brady, Manning, or Rodgers, but if you don't you can't just pretend that you do. You need to surround a decent QB with offensive talent, and build a good D.

All League
    A ground and pound executive?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    YES.THis is my first choice. Make it ****ing happen.
    Why do I gamble er! I mean! agree with you?

Nope= OLB, OL, TE, OL

That's the way to go. Bring in Matt Moore and another vet and all compete with McElroy. Then draft QB next year.
    Convinced me ... Harrumph !

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Convinced me ... Harrumph !
    Brandon Moore is going downhill after surgery and age. He gets pushed around too much and Slauson is a good back up. I think with another year and good players around him Howard can work. If they can shore that up then a good JAG QB can get the job done. Plus we need a TE that can create good mismatches. Sick of seeing Keller doing that stupid juke with his shoulders then just turning around.
    Match a top tier TE with Cumberland and we're good.

Jets Insider VIP
    Brandon Moore is going downhill after surgery and age. He gets pushed around too much and Slauson is a good back up. If they can shore that up then a good JAG QB can get the job done. Plus we need a TE that can create good mismatches. Sick of seeing Keller doing that stupid juke with his shoulders then just turning around.
    Match a top tier TE with Cumberland and we're good.
    Isn't it sad (for us) that Joel Dreessen is the starting TE on the #1 seed in the AFC?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Isn't it sad (for us) that Joel Dreessen is the starting TE on the #1 seed in the AFC?
    No because of the fact that he has the greatest technical QB of our era throwing to him

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    No because of the fact that he has the greatest technical QB of our era throwing to him
    He was also a solid TE for the Texans for a few years before that.