Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets ask 49ers to Interview Tom Gamble for GM

Jets ask 49ers to Interview Tom Gamble for GM

@AdamSchefter: Jets and Jaguars have asked permission from San Francisco to interview 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble for their GM jobs.

Mods-plz merge if needed

great news!

Jets Insider VIP
    YES.THis is my first choice. Make it ****ing happen.

Hall Of Fame
    totally on board with this.

hope it works out.

Doing their DUE DILLIGENCE.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    If Gamble likes Tebow, he will go to Jacksonville. If not, he might come here. Tebow might help us out yet.

This would be a great hire. I see no way he takes the job with Rex in place.

Jets Insider VIP
    We needed corn and ferry for this? 95% of the board was saying to interview this guy.

Woody should just cut JI a check for 200K and let us run with this.

Hall Of Fame
    LOL.

Imagine if he chooses the Jags over us.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    This would be a great hire. I see no way he takes the job with Rex in place.
    So Rex Ryan or Tim Tebow? Who do you like?

All Pro
    Please be true.

Imagine the talent that the 49ers have gained in the last couple of seasons?

While a lot of it is through the draft, key acquisitions include

Carlos Rogers
    Justin Smith
    Jonathan Goodwin
    Donte Whitner

Ever since he took over draft responsibilities it has been fantastic as well

Navorro Bowman
    Aldon Smith

There also is potential for Alex Smith to come to NYJ. Not to say that I am extremely for it but it is a more plausible QB solution with this happening.

Please make this true!

http://www.49ers.com/team/staff/tom-...8-6bfb470bb433

tom gamble is in his 24th NFL season and his seventh year with the 49ers. On February 4, 2011, Gamble was promoted to Director of Player Personnel after having served as the Director of Pro Personnel for the previous seven years in San Francisco.

Gamble’s extensive NFL resume includes work in both college and pro scouting, contract negotiations, and a stint in the coaching ranks.

While working closely with General Manager Trent Baalke, Gamble oversees both the college and pro personnel efforts. In his previous role, Gamble monitored every NFL roster with an emphasis on scouting talent of upcoming pro free agents, while also maintaining continuous depth of personnel on the 49ers roster. In 2010, Gamble had been assigned additional responsibilities in collegiate scouting in order to maximize the use of his extensive experience in talent evaluation.

During his time in the NFL, Gamble has helped build nine playoff teams – five with Indianapolis and four with Philadelphia. Prior to his arrival in San Francisco, Gamble served as a college scout for the Colts from 1998 to 2004 under veteran NFL executive Bill Polian.

Gamble originally entered the NFL as an assistant in the player personnel department of the Philadelphia Eagles in 1988. He stayed with the Eagles through 1994, serving as a college scouting administrator, area scout, contract negotiator, and later served as the director of pro scouting.

From 1995 to 1996, Gamble served as a defensive assistant/quality control coach with the New York Jets. He then worked as a part-time college scout for the Carolina Panthers before serving as a pro scout for the Baltimore Ravens during the 1997 season.

Gamble earned his B.S. from High Point University in 1987 and an M.S. from Rowan University in 1988. He grew up in a football family, where his father, Harry, served as the head coach at both the University of Pennsylvania and Lafayette College. Harry was also formerly the President of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Gamble and his wife, Juliette, have three sons, Tom, Gregory and Matthew.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    We needed corn and ferry for this? 95% of the board was saying to interview this guy.

Woody should just cut JI a check for 200K and let us run with this.
    it's gotta be a board persona thing with you Joe, right

I mean you really have to be much smarter than the guy who posts here

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    @AdamSchefter: Jets and Jaguars have asked permission from San Francisco to interview 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble for their GM jobs.

Mods-plz merge if needed
    This is what we want to hear, this is a good start make it happen Woody, Norvs probably waiting to hear before taking the OC job here.

Practice Squad
    I consider myself a fan who follows the game pretty closely, but I'm always amazed at how you guys know about staff who work for other teams at a level lower than GM. Could someone comment on what is known about Gamble and what makes him an attractive candidate?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I'm glad they are moving quickly. Hiring an outside consultant doesn't appear to have hamstrung or delayed the search.

That's good to see.

Jets Insider VIP
    Permission I guess is required because the Niners are in the postseason. Normally you wouldn't have to ask permission if the position you were discussion was a promotion

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    one thing we agree on

i dont see the 49ers allowing this until after thier season is over.

He is from here. IF we want him, I think he is the guy who takes the job.