Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Jets ask 49ers to Interview Tom Gamble for GM

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    No need to yell, I can read. Just seems pretty obvious that no serious candidate will take a job without having final say on the coach. Why would he?
    And just like the Bears this year, if Woody says to him "Just keep him and Sanchez for a year and then dump them", do you think that would be fair.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    Speculate - Form a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence.

aka, he doesn't have any proof to that. It's just an opinion of an unknown person.

I'm not going to take that serious

And you have no proof to the contrary. There is only common sense, which says if Gamble really is a great candidate, he will choose a situation where he has total control. Cross him off the list.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    And just like the Bears this year, if Woody says to him "Just keep him and Sanchez for a year and then dump them", do you think that would be fair.
    The issue isn't fairness, it's whether the Jets are a less attractive job because of the condition of keeping Rex. It is a typical Woody Johnson half-ass move, just like 2008 when he fired Mangini but kept Tannenbaum, even though both were equally at fault. Now he's done the opposite.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Might be about $$$ then.

It is reasonable to think a GM would want to pick his own coach. So Rex could be a factor. He could want to get rid of him or he could do a Holmgren and want to see things first hand.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok yesterday Cimmini posted Polian : wouldst"t be intersetesd because of the Rex clause,than it was stated that Polian gave Gamble a big push for the job, why would Gamble. go for the interview if he new about the Rex clause first like we all do

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    And you have no proof to the contrary. There is only common sense, which says if Gamble really is a great candidate, he will choose a situation where he has total control. Cross him off the list.
    I don't need proof to the contrary. I'm not the one speculating.

if you're going to say something bold like that, you should have some form of evidence. If not, then other people shouldn't take him seriously.

It's just that half the board wants Rex gone, so they force themselves to believe things like that just because it fits their agenda.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    Ok yesterday Cimmini posted Polian : wouldst"t be intersetesd because of the Rex clause,than it was stated that Polian gave Gamble a big push for the job, why would Gamble. go for the interview if he new about the Rex clause first like we all do
    Maybe he doesn't mind. Maybe it doesn't mater to him. Maybe we get lucky in that regard.

None of these reports disprove any of the other reports. We simply do not know. But I don't think any of the reports have been out of line.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

if you're going to say something bold like that, you should have some form of evidence. If not, then other people shouldn't take him seriously.

It's just that half the board wants Rex gone, so they force themselves to believe things like that just because it fits their agenda.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not about wanting Rex gone, it's about making sure we get the best GM possible, and that isn't happening if you're not giving him final say. Whether someone "speculates" about that or not, it is just common sense.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not about wanting Rex gone, it's about making sure we get the best GM possible, and that isn't happening if you're not giving him final say. Whether someone "speculates" about that or not, it is just common sense.
    No it's not common sense. Because you're assuming that every GM will have a problem with giving Rex another year.

We've seen coaches get 1 last year from new GM's before getting the axe. Holmgren gave Mangini another shot. Chicago's GM gave Lovie Smith another shot. Pittsburgh's GM kept Cowher

You're assuming that every candidate will have a problem with Woody saying "You can be our GM, but you have to keep Rex for 1 more year". Some might, but not everyone will. Every person is differen.t

You know what they say about assuming...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any GM candidate is going to inquire as to the current state of the team, meaning salary cap situations, pending free agents and salaries on the books.

Gamble, or any of the other candidates can look at all the information made available by Woody's staff and all them would come to the conclusion that 2013 will be a limited opportunity to turn over the roster. It also doesn't take a PHD to realize that some very bad contracts will be off the books March 1, 2014 giving the Jets a TON of cap space.

This will allow ANY potential candidate the opportunity to come in with no pressure to win now and they can build up all of their chips for a MAJOR move in 2014.

Looking at all of the openings for GMs, it looks like the Jags are the only other team talking with Gamble & Caldwell (as of now) and I haven't heard Ross's name come up in any other teams short list.

I think that is promising. Even if Gamble goes to Jax, I think we will get a great GM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had had the benefit of being the #2 TE behind Owen Daniels
    How did that benefit him? He still peformed well when given the chance.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    How did that benefit him? He still peformed well when given the chance.
    It benefits him because teams aren't keying in on him like they are on Johnson, Daniels, & Walter.

It's like how Aaron Hernandez benefits from being the #2 TE behind Rob Gronkowski

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    So Gamble is a top candidate, has a history with Buddy, received an endorsement from Polian, sure seems to me Gamble is also a good candidate for Rex.

And so much for the Jets' GM position not being an attractive job with Polian's endorsement...

Oh that silly media and fans who eat up their bull****...
    Is Gamble interested in the Jets?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far Gamble is a candidate in Jax and in NY.

So is the Jax situation better when you have an owner that seems to want to be a part of the decision making process including deciding on what QB to acquire or in NY where 12 months from now you can bring in your own coach, rid yourself of several albatross contracts and have a ton of cap space and an owner willing to spend a ton of money?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It benefits him because teams aren't keying in on him like they are on Johnson, Daniels, & Walter.

It's like how Aaron Hernandez benefits from being the #2 TE behind Rob Gronkowski
    And now he is playing well only because he benefits from Peyton Manning.

So, you're not willing to give the guy any props? He's only benefitting from others? He's not making plays?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Is Gamble interested in the Jets?
    He's scheduled for an interview, that would pretty much mean interest is mutual to me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not about wanting Rex gone, it's about making sure we get the best GM possible, and that isn't happening if you're not giving him final.
    This is maddening...

I can't wait until we hire this dude and he either fires Rex or endorses him...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    He's scheduled for an interview, that would pretty much mean interest is mutual to me.
    I'm sure he's doing his due diligence as well.

We'll see how attractive the job is to him.

Let's not put the cart before the horse.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    So far Gamble is a candidate in Jax and in NY.

So is the Jax situation better when you have an owner that seems to want to be a part of the decision making process including deciding on what QB to acquire or in NY where 12 months from now you can bring in your own coach, rid yourself of several albatross contracts and have a ton of cap space and an owner willing to spend a ton of money?
    And Guaranteed SB tickets for 2014 weather our team is playing or not, Woody still has a owners box in the place.