Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets ask 49ers to Interview Tom Gamble for GM

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    They will interview several people for the job, relax.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very good news.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DBarrett=all<3;4751776]I consider myself a fan who follows the game pretty closely, but I'm always amazed at how you guys know about staff who work for other teams at a level lower than GM. Could someone comment on what is known about Gamble and what makes him an attractive candidate?[/QUOTE]

Look at the 49ers and what they've done over the last couple of years. That's why.

As for Gamble, not only does he have a past history with the Jets, he also was a scout for the Ravens in 1997. Even though it was two years before Rex went to the Ravens, they still have a common link with Ozzie Newsome and company.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he's smart he'll take the job from the team that says you can fire our Head Coach and bring in your own guy (Fingers crossed for Greg Roman).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    cmon guys, whoever we hire, it's probably going to be a gamble

oops... sorry

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'm glad they are moving quickly. Hiring an outside consultant doesn't appear to have hamstrung or delayed the search.

That's good to see.
    I think the consulting firm had already put together a list, at least a preliminary one, and put the hot candidates at the top. That would be standard practice.

Would be a waste if the Jets had to wait for the firm to put together the list while the main candidates are highered elsewhere.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    the 49ers are a solid football team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    i dont see the 49ers allowing this until after thier season is over.
    He's not a coach.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Niners' top personnel guy was hired using the same search firm and the same Jed Hughes that the Jets are using.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting that Gamble has history both with the Jets and Buddy Ryan's late 80's eagles.

I think this hire bodes well for Rex Ryan bc of the above, but moreso from the standpoint of similarity bw the niners and rex's vision.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I think the consulting firm had already put together a list, at least a preliminary one, and put the hot candidates at the top. That would be standard practice.

Would be a waste if the Jets had to wait for the firm to put together the list while the main candidates are highered elsewhere.
    I have experience with Korn Ferry. They recruited me (successfully) for an outside Board seat of a public company. Very comprehensive process. They are all over this, believe me!

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    i dont see the 49ers allowing this until after thier season is over.
    I see the 49"ers allowing it, but not making a announcement till after they are done this season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post
    They will interview several people for the job, relax.
    No kidding. It's the first name we've seen. Apologies for cluttering your day.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 49ers have playmakers at seemingly every position. I would love this hire. Also he has the "name" to over-rule Rex's ego at times when he thinks he can make a player out of any athlete. Make it happen Tangenious!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    This would be a great hire. I see no way he takes the job with Rex in place.
    Why?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    He's not a coach.
    doesnt matter hes part of the organization thats trying to win a super bowl.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh hells yeah

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Interesting that Gamble has history both with the Jets and Buddy Ryan's late 80's eagles.

I think this hire bodes well for Rex Ryan bc of the above, but moreso from the standpoint of similarity bw the niners and rex's vision.
    He worked for the Eagles from 1988 to 1994, working as a college scouting administrator, area scout, contract negotiator, and eventually director of pro scouting.

Per Niners nation.

So he was there during Buddy Ryan's tenure and he followed Rich Kotite to the Jets. Whaddya know? Kotite's presence might actually have a benefit.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

Agreed - I'm just happy that they seem to be competent. With this organization, where it sometimes seems like its being run by two chimpanzees and a cheerleader, you just never know.