Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 241

Thread: Jets ask 49ers to Interview Tom Gamble for GM

  1. #81
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,916
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    LOL.

    Imagine if he chooses the Jags over us.
    Hopefully, he's smart enough to see first hand that a mobile QB also needs a strong and accurate arm (Kaepernick).

    So if he chooses the Jags because Tebow is there, maybe he's not the guy we want anyway.

  2. #82
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Per Kim jones. Jets asking for permission to interview Giants Marc Ross

  3. #83
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Per Kim jones. Jets asking for permission to interview Giants Marc Ross
    He is the Giants director of college scouting.

    Definitely seeing a need to hire a football mind.

  4. #84
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Ground and pound isn't the problem. Having bad QBs is.

    Smith simply couldn't get it done against the Giants' D. He left a lot of yards on the field during the NFCCG. Flacco has never been a great postseason QB. He played well against the Pats, but they shouldve been up big in that game and wasn't.

    Heck, the Jets couldve had a dynamic offense even with ground and pound if Sanchez wasn't so horrible.

    Ground and pound is the problem because the only teams that commit to it are those that don't trust their QB. If you have a good QB, you don't call it ground and pound, you call it a balanced offense.

    I want the new GM to go out and get the best players possible. Then I want the coaches to game plan to match the talent on the team, and then subsequently, the opponents they face each week.

    This pre-determined philosophy is ridiculous, especially since the teams that actually win championships (your Giants included) don't subscribe to it.

  5. #85
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,538
    Post Thanks / Like
    won't keep rex? not sure how this conclusion can be reached. both teams rely on a very good defense and a ball control offense. the 49ers have better players at this point and so they succeed. might also mean bringing in alex smith.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Swanson View Post
    This would be a great hire. I see no way he takes the job with Rex in place.

  6. #86
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Bayonne, NJ
    Posts
    2,877
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I like the idea of Gamble but if he wants to bring Alex Smith here then we are wasting our time. The guy is not a good QB and we are never winning a super bowl with him. Harbaugh knew this and moved on the first moment he thought he had something better.
    Sanchez can't shine Smith's shoes. The draft has no quality QB. Take him on a short leash and draft someone next year hopefully. Have to start somewhere. No QB on our roster now and that won't change in a season (we are not as fortunate as the Redskins).
    Last edited by PocketJet; 12-31-2012 at 03:50 PM.

  7. #87
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,229
    Post Thanks / Like
    FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Officially, the Jets' general manager search has begun.

    They asked the 49ers for permission to interview Tom Gamble, their director of player personnel, ESPN Insider Adam Schefter reported.

    Gamble is regarded as a hot candidate and should have other opportunities. The Jaguars also requested permission to speak with him about their vacancy, according to the Schefter report.

    Gamble has spent 24 years in the NFL, including the last seven with the 49ers. He works closely with GM Trent Baalke, a former Jets scout. Gamble actually was on the Jets' staff under Rich Kotite, serving as a quality-control defensive assistant in 1995 and 1996. Gamble's father, Harry, is the former president of the Eagles.

    One NFL insider speculated that Gamble won't have serious interest in the Jets because of the stipulation that Rex Ryan must be retained.

  8. #88
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    Despite the fact that Gamble worked with his father?

    One NFL insider is not enough to deter me.

    Bottom line is that the position is going to be filled by somebody. It will be filled by somebody who we will not know the caliber of until they go on the job.

  9. #89
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Ground and pound is the problem because the only teams that commit to it are those that don't trust their QB. If you have a good QB, you don't call it ground and pound, you call it a balanced offense.

    I want the new GM to go out and get the best players possible. Then I want the coaches to game plan to match the talent on the team, and then subsequently, the opponents they face each week.

    This pre-determined philosophy is ridiculous, especially since the teams that actually win championships (your Giants included) don't subscribe to it.
    Last things first, the Giants last year were an anomaly. They had the worst rushing attack in the NFL, but countered that by having a career year from their starting QB.

    As to ground and pound, it is effective with a good QB. But as you say, if a team has a good QB, they don't call it ground and pound.

    So, in the end, the argument should be between balanced offense versus pass heavy offense. I think a balanced attack can still win in the NFL.

  10. #90
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,560
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Despite the fact that Gamble worked with his father?
    That is probably the reason why.

  11. #91
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    The NFL is a big league. We should never put credence into an annonymous "NFL insider" because it could literally be anyone from any team, an agent, or someone in the league office.

  12. #92
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Borgo's House
    Posts
    4,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Last things first, the Giants last year were an anomaly. They had the worst rushing attack in the NFL, but countered that by having a career year from their starting QB.

    As to ground and pound, it is effective with a good QB. But as you say, if a team has a good QB, they don't call it ground and pound.

    So, in the end, the argument should be between balanced offense versus pass heavy offense. I think a balanced attack can still win in the NFL.
    The 2010 Packers and the 2009 Saints beg to differ on your 2011 Giants anomaly.

    The real bottom line is that you need a very good QB to win a Super Bowl. The better your QB, the better your chances. Period. That's why if the Jets are still a believer in Ground and Pound, it means they do not understand the modern NFL and Jets fans are screwed.

  13. #93
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,616
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Interesting that Gamble has history both with the Jets and Buddy Ryan's late 80's eagles.

    I think this hire bodes well for Rex Ryan bc of the above, but moreso from the standpoint of similarity bw the niners and rex's vision.
    Interesting tidbit. Very interesting.

  14. #94
    Schluberator & Gadfly
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    The 2010 Packers and the 2009 Saints beg to differ on your 2011 Giants anomaly.

    The real bottom line is that you need a very good QB to win a Super Bowl. The better your QB, the better your chances. Period. That's why if the Jets are still a believer in Ground and Pound, it means they do not understand the modern NFL and Jets fans are screwed.
    To your point, 18 of the last 20 SB winners had HOF or HOF Caliber QB's on them.

  15. #95
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,560
    Post Thanks / Like
    Posted in another thread credit to that poster, no link:

    The Jets reached out to ESPN analyst and former Colts president Bill Polian before hiring their general-manager search firm, but were turned down by Polian regarding any interest in replacing Mike Tannenbaum.Unless they pry New York native Tom Gamble away from the 49ers, the Jets are going to have a difficult time selling themselves to noteworthy GM candidates. They would prefer to not let the new GM hire his own coach, and have a documented history of dysfunction up top. It's unclear how serious the talks between Polian and the Jets ever got. He likely denied them quickly. Dec 31 - 3:26 PM

  16. #96
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    The 2010 Packers and the 2009 Saints beg to differ on your 2011 Giants anomaly.

    The real bottom line is that you need a very good QB to win a Super Bowl. The better your QB, the better your chances. Period. That's why if the Jets are still a believer in Ground and Pound, it means they do not understand the modern NFL and Jets fans are screwed.
    That is true. Good QB and good pass rush is a key to a title. Unfortunately for the Jets, they had neither. Hopefully the new GM will realize the significance and pursue both.

  17. #97
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,638
    Post Thanks / Like
    So apparently the Browns are going to hire a HC before they hire a GM.

    And yet nobody is *****ing about them.

  18. #98
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,916
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    So apparently the Browns are going to hire a HC before they hire a GM.

    And yet nobody is *****ing about them.
    LOL. They're one of the most laughable organizations in the NFL.

    To compare us to them says a lot.

  19. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Posted in another thread credit to that poster, no link:

    The Jets reached out to ESPN analyst and former Colts president Bill Polian before hiring their general-manager search firm, but were turned down by Polian regarding any interest in replacing Mike Tannenbaum.Unless they pry New York native Tom Gamble away from the 49ers, the Jets are going to have a difficult time selling themselves to noteworthy GM candidates. They would prefer to not let the new GM hire his own coach, and have a documented history of dysfunction up top. It's unclear how serious the talks between Polian and the Jets ever got. He likely denied them quickly. Dec 31 - 3:26 PM
    most decent qualified gms want to choose the coaching staff in a scenario like this one.

    again woody fails to deliver to the fans and the players what they trully deserve.

    help wanted: qualified nfl gm
    head coach rex ryan already in place
    you decide would you take the job?

  20. #100
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,076
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    That is true. Good QB and good pass rush is a key to a title. Unfortunately for the Jets, they had neither. Hopefully the new GM will realize the significance and pursue both.
    I don't think that's all that esoteric a goal. Tanny, despite his non-football background, understood that as well. We had two top 6 picks and attempted to fill those needs. Unfortunately, he/they failed spectacularly in that regard. If the Jets hit on either of those picks, it's a completely different team.

    For all those saying that this roster is devoid of talent, add a legit pass rusher and a competent+ QB and this a playoff team.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us