Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets ask 49ers to Interview Tom Gamble for GM

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Are we really sure Rex picked the last one? Do we really know who was the driving force behind Tebow? Do we know anything about what really happens behind the scenes?

I don't think we do. But it seems unrealistic for the head coach not to have a say on who will be the most important person reporting to him on the coaching staff.

Ryan said he interviewed only two candidates for Schottenheimer's job -- Sparano and offensive-line coach Bill Callahan -- claiming he chose Sparano based largely on the interview. Callahan, a Jets assistant since 2008, was thought to be the front-runner once it became apparent at the end of the season that Schottenheimer was a goner.

"I felt great about Bill -- I thought he would do tremendous job as coordinator -- but when I met with Tony, it was like, wow, I was blown away," Ryan said. "We knew Tony was our guy."

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...physical-style

Rex Ryan hired Sparano, a former rival with the Dolphins, because of their like-minded beliefs. Philosophically, Sparano is a run-oriented coach who has no problem with a ball-control approach, catering to a strong defense.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet.../name/rex-ryan
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-01-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    No one has stated that such a stipulation exists. Woody just said that Rex remains coach while they search for a GM. THey are very far from the same. If anything, with the outright firing of Tannenloser and the hiring of the search firm it seems that maybe Woody realizes that half measures are not needed. There is a chance the new QM would want Rex to stay so no sense in firing him yet.
    I truly hope you are correct and that is what is happening it could explain why Sparano is still in the building and working.

But

If Johnson is forcing Rex Ryan on the prospective GMs then this franchise is a waste of time. Hire the best candidate for GM and let them do their job.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Fix the OL first....an avg RB behind a real good OL will look really good! Once you fix the OL then look to get a great RB
    Agreed. First pick should be OL, 2nd pick QB, 3rd pick another for OL.

Quote Originally Posted by houyx View Post
    Agreed. First pick should be OL, 2nd pick QB, 3rd pick another for OL.
    OLB, OL, OL, QB

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    OLB, OL, OL, QB
    OLB, QB, OL, RB

The QBs we are going to be looking at won't be available in the 4th. There's always sleeper OL in the mid rounds, especially guards.

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    OLB, QB, OL, RB

The QBs we are going to be looking at won't be available in the 4th. There's always sleeper OL in the mid rounds, especially guards.
    Do you really want a QB from this class? Doesn't look all that great, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Do you really want a QB from this class? Doesn't look all that great, honestly.
    I'm 50/50. Just saying if we do, it's got to be in the 2nd round. Can't get cute and hope one of the decent ones fall to the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Jaguars don't worry me because Tim Tebow is going there so that will be a detriment to itself, unless Gamble is really high on Tebow.

Chargers may be the best situation this year, but next year the Jets and Chargers situations become equal in terms of cap space and carte blanche.

Throw in the ties to the Jets and the local area and I think we have the advantage.
    Are you serious about Tebow being a detriment?

I'm 50/50. Just saying if we do, it's got to be in the 2nd round. Can't get cute and hope one of the decent ones fall to the 3rd.
    My thought exactly. Although I was hoping 4th round.

Got a point. Honestly, I wouldn't really mind it if we took a chance on a QB in the 2nd and let him sit and develop. Maybe a Ryan Nassib or something.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    According to Adam Schein who had a direct quote from Rex on the Sparano hiring, yes, Rex handpicked Sparano.
    I never heard of a GM picking the staff of a HC. I know HC had to let coaches go or they would be let go, but never a new hire. These guys have to work together as a team. A HC does not want someone on his staff that wants his job and is handpicked by his boss.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I never heard of a GM picking the staff of a HC. I know HC had to let coaches go or they would be let go, but never a new hire. These guys have to work together as a team. A HC does not want someone on his staff that wants his job and is handpicked by his boss.
    Unless that HC is also known as Captain Dunsel.

BTW, as bad as this year's QB crop may be, it's not like next year's has a RG3/Luck type in it. Bridegwater, Murray, etc. aren't sure things either.

BTW, as bad as this year's QB crop may be, it's not like next year's has a RG3/Luck type in it. Bridegwater, Murray, etc. aren't sure things either.
    Good point. Manziel is probably going to be the "big name" everyone is talking about then.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    According to Adam Schein who had a direct quote from Rex on the Sparano hiring, yes, Rex handpicked Sparano.
    Ryan said he interviewed only two candidates for Schottenheimer's job -- Sparano and offensive-line coach Bill Callahan -- claiming he chose Sparano based largely on the interview. Callahan, a Jets assistant since 2008, was thought to be the front-runner once it became apparent at the end of the season that Schottenheimer was a goner.

"I felt great about Bill -- I thought he would do tremendous job as coordinator -- but when I met with Tony, it was like, wow, I was blown away," Ryan said. "We knew Tony was our guy."

Rex Ryan hired Sparano, a former rival with the Dolphins, because of their like-minded beliefs. Philosophically, Sparano is a run-oriented coach who has no problem with a ball-control approach, catering to a strong defense.

The only true thing we know about Rex is that he has a history of lying about almost everything. Rex is the one who says everything has been his decision yet he wasn't the guy fired yesterday.

You can pull whatever quote you want but nothing the man says is credible.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    The only true thing we know about Rex is that he has a history of lying about almost everything. Rex is the one who says everything has been his decision yet he wasn't the guy fired yesterday.

You can pull whatever quote you want but nothing the man says is credible.
    I can give you $6M+ reasons why...

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal1189 View Post
    There also is potential for Alex Smith to come to NYJ. Not to say that I am extremely for it but it is a more plausible QB solution with this happening.
    Plausible solution?

We are going to replace a first round bust with an even bigger first round bust? That is our solution to the QB problem?

Smith had a LOADED offense in SF and they benched him for a rookie. He has zero accuracy over 15 yards. The talent around him limited his mistakes.

Did you not see how many times he missed a wide open receiver screeching by Kyle Wilson in our game against SF?

So please for the love of god and everything that is holy, say no to Alex Smith. I don't even want him here as a backup. We need a QB not another average at best game manager.
    Last edited by nyctomjetsfan; 01-01-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I get what you're saying, but it has happened and it happened with the Jets and the retention of Schitty when Rex got the job.

Plus, Rex is so offense-blind that it's hard to see the new GM give Rex full reign to hire a new OC after the last one crashed and burned.

Jets Insider VIP

We never had the OL or TEs to implement Sparanos stadegies. A QB that can't make a screen pass didn't help either. Coaches have a plan but player need to be capable of execution. It aint all on the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    OLB, OL, OL, QB
    Nope= OLB, OL, TE, OL

That's the way to go. Bring in Matt Moore and another vet and all compete with McElroy. Then draft QB next year.