Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: woody embarrassed.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

woody embarrassed.

Jets fans can’t count on competence from owner Woody Johnson. Would it be so hard from him to show a little anger?

Not the manufactured kind, either. Some real, mad-as-hell, open-the-windows-and-yell-it-to-the-world stuff. Johnson had that opportunity Monday, to storm into the press room at his team’s training complex and say a few words that would at least give fans some solace.

“I’m furious. I’m embarrassed. What we’ve seen from this team – and not just the way we ended the season, but all of 2012 – was unacceptable, and I can promise you there will be major changes.”

But no. What the Jets fans got from Johnson was exactly what they expected, a tepid four-paragraph statement. He fired general manager Mike Tannenbaum, retained head coach Rex Ryan and described in excruciating detail how he had hired a crack search firm to find a new GM.

Jets fans want Tom Brady.

Woody gives them Korn/Ferry.

“Our 2012 season was a disappointment to all of us,” his statement reads. “My goal every year as owner is to build a team that wins consistently. This year, we failed to achieve that goal.”

That’s all you get from 6-10. That’s the next-day anger after the Jets didn’t show up for third-straight loss in Buffalo, one that Johnson didn’t even bother attending. The Jets say the owner will address the media in a three or four days, which has been his custom, but this was the kind of collapsed that warranted something strong. Something immediate.

Something like what John Mara did after the 2009 season. The Jets hate nothing more than when anyone compares them to the Giants, but it really is incredible that they’ve learned nothing about handling public relations from the franchise that shares MetLife Stadium.

Mara set the standard for what an owner should do after a terrible season. He told reporters that 8-8 “felt more like 2-14” and that he was “as disappointed as I’ve ever been in my life at this team.” If it didn’t help ease fans’ frustrations after the team lost eight of 11, at least they knew the guy in charge was just as angry as they were.

Then again, the Jets could have looked in a dozen NFL cities, where owners and GMs stood in front of their team’s backdrops and answered question about other teams that missed the postseason. Not in Florham Park, where even a news conference with Ryan was postponed. Some accountability.

That starts with Johnson, who has never had a feel for, or connection with, his fan base. He doesn’t understand that his customers are not just tired of his team’s performance on the field, but with everything else circling around it.

The media leaks. The overwhelming sense that, while his organization hasn’t won a ring since 1969, it’s a three-ring operation. The owner might not be able to win games, but he sure has control over the image of his franchise.

If you were to poll area fans about their confidence level in their team’s owner, I bet Johnson finishes near the bottom with the Wilpons – even Jim Dolan is having a better year.

Johnson has to change that now. The decisions he made Monday– retaining Ryan and firing Tannenbaum – were the right ones. Changing head coaches, especially with a third of the league in the market for one, would’ve been the wrong move. Ryan made mistakes this year, but anyone who doubts he can win is forgetting that January trip to Foxborough a couple years ago.

The prevailing wisdom is that no GM can get the Jets, at $20 million over the salary cap and with Mark Sanchez signed for $8.25 million next season, out of the mess next season. Johnson has to prove that wrong with an ace talent evaluator – 49ers’ director of player personnel Tom Gamble should be on top of the short list, and ESPN is reporting that the team asked for permission to interview him – and someone willing to take the job with Ryan already in place.

That could change. The Bears hired Phil Emery as general manager last January with the condition he keep Lovie Smith, but that he could make a change after the season if he felt it was necessary. He made that change yesterday, firing Smith despite an 80-63 overall record and a 10-6 mark this year.

There isn’t a Jets fan in the world who wouldn’t sign for 10-6 for next season right now. The expectations are as low as they’ve ever been with Johnson as owner, the frustration never as high.

He could have eased some of that frustration by showing, for once, that he’s as angry as everyone else. Fire and Brimstone? Not from this owner. The Jets fans got Korn/Ferry instead.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woody is a Billionaire and behaves like one. He makes decisions and goes about his retired life style. Tanny was like family for 15 years. Firing him was hard to do I'm sure. I'll accept a quality GM without all the emotion.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    Jets fans can’t count on competence from owner Woody Johnson. Would it be so hard from him to show a little anger?

Not the manufactured kind, either. Some real, mad-as-hell, open-the-windows-and-yell-it-to-the-world stuff. Johnson had that opportunity Monday, to storm into the press room at his team’s training complex and say a few words that would at least give fans some solace.

“I’m furious. I’m embarrassed. What we’ve seen from this team – and not just the way we ended the season, but all of 2012 – was unacceptable, and I can promise you there will be major changes.”

But no. What the Jets fans got from Johnson was exactly what they expected, a tepid four-paragraph statement. He fired general manager Mike Tannenbaum, retained head coach Rex Ryan and described in excruciating detail how he had hired a crack search firm to find a new GM.

“Our 2012 season was a disappointment to all of us,” his statement reads. “My goal every year as owner is to build a team that wins consistently. This year, we failed to achieve that goal.”

That’s all you get from 6-10. That’s the next-day anger after the Jets didn’t show up for third-straight loss in Buffalo, one that Johnson didn’t even bother attending. The Jets say the owner will address the media in a three or four days, which has been his custom, but this was the kind of collapsed that warranted something strong. Something immediate.

Something like what John Mara did after the 2009 season. The Jets hate nothing more than when anyone compares them to the Giants, but it really is incredible that they’ve learned nothing about handling public relations from the franchise that shares MetLife Stadium.

Mara set the standard for what an owner should do after a terrible season. He told reporters that 8-8 “felt more like 2-14” and that he was “as disappointed as I’ve ever been in my life at this team.” If it didn’t help ease fans’ frustrations after the team lost eight of 11, at least they knew the guy in charge was just as angry as they were.

Then again, the Jets could have looked in a dozen NFL cities, where owners and GMs stood in front of their team’s backdrops and answered question about other teams that missed the postseason. Not in Florham Park, where even a news conference with Ryan was postponed. Some accountability.

That starts with Johnson, who has never had a feel for, or connection with, his fan base. He doesn’t understand that his customers are not just tired of his team’s performance on the field, but with everything else circling around it.

The media leaks. The overwhelming sense that, while his organization hasn’t won a ring since 1969, it’s a three-ring operation. The owner might not be able to win games, but he sure has control over the image of his franchise.

If you were to poll area fans about their confidence level in their team’s owner, I bet Johnson finishes near the bottom with the Wilpons – even Jim Dolan is having a better year.

Johnson has to change that now. The decisions he made Monday– retaining Ryan and firing Tannenbaum – were the right ones. Changing head coaches, especially with a third of the league in the market for one, would’ve been the wrong move. Ryan made mistakes this year, but anyone who doubts he can win is forgetting that January trip to Foxborough a couple years ago.

The prevailing wisdom is that no GM can get the Jets, at $20 million over the salary cap and with Mark Sanchez signed for $8.25 million next season, out of the mess next season. Johnson has to prove that wrong with an ace talent evaluator – 49ers’ director of player personnel Tom Gamble should be on top of the short list, and ESPN is reporting that the team asked for permission to interview him – and someone willing to take the job with Ryan already in place.

That could change. The Bears hired Phil Emery as general manager last January with the condition he keep Lovie Smith, but that he could make a change after the season if he felt it was necessary. He made that change yesterday, firing Smith despite an 80-63 overall record and a 10-6 mark this year.

There isn’t a Jets fan in the world who wouldn’t sign for 10-6 for next season right now. The expectations are as low as they’ve ever been with Johnson as owner, the frustration never as high.

He could have eased some of that frustration by showing, for once, that he’s as angry as everyone else. Fire and Brimstone? Not from this owner. The Jets fans got Korn/Ferry instead.
    GMC

I laugh at all these fans who insist on seeing passion and emotion from an owner. These families did not get where they are in life by losing their temper and making decisions based on emotion. Why is it so important to display what this article asks for. You want to see commitment , take a look at the money the guy has spent on this team. It is obvious that he wants to win. He has had 4 different coaches and is working on rebuilding his front office. Relax and let things play out. You don't like the decisions so be it, but to vilify the guy for not producing a emotional outburst is childish and wreaks of the carnival atmosphere we all hate.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Can we have this made into a Giant Fathead & Hung from JETLofe stadium for Woody to have to read every time he enters the place to remind him of the lousy job he's doing.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    You don't know what happens behind closed doors.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    GMC

I laugh at all these fans who insist on seeing passion and emotion from an owner. These families did not get where they are in life by losing their temper and making decisions based on emotion. Why is it so important to display what this article asks for. You want to see commitment , take a look at the money the guy has spent on this team. It is obvious that he wants to win. He has had 4 different coaches and is working on rebuilding his front office. Relax and let things play out. You don't like the decisions so be it, but to vilify the guy for not producing a emotional outburst is childish and wreaks of the carnival atmosphere we all hate.
    Exactly...

The most successful people in the world typically are controlled and don't throw hissy-fits. Of course there are exceptions, but it's certainly not the rule.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

This is so typical of a Jets fan...to want an emotional response versus a thoughtful, measured response.

The emotional response is what drove Steinbrenner in the 80's...and the Yankees had a terrible decade filled with ill advised moves. Emotion would have fired Bill Cowher after a 6-10 season, only to see him win the SB two years later. I would imagine as a business owner alone Woody is fuming, how much money does he lose when 30,000 people don't show up to buy beer?

Instead of going on gut or talking to other owners, Woody hires a highly respected search firm to help the process in finding the right person. That's a smart move that will pay dividends, and it is unfortunate that most jets fans will fail to see it that way.

The Patriots and Brady are unique...Kraft hit an oil gusher without having drilled too many holes. Let's be clear...they are good because their offense is fantastic (as opposed to a great D, which was supposed to be BB's genius)...and their offense is great because every team passed on Brady 5 times, including the Patriots themselves.

Emotional owners do dumb, emotional things...Woody is making the right moves.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Woody is gutless

For an owner who likes cheap headlines for his team, he sure does not like to hold press conferences and talk to the press directly today. See that Eagle's owner press conference today, DeLuria comes across like a up front human being when he took questions about firing Reid. Does Woody have guts? Na.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you copy this from?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like you and Politi (he wrote the article) would want Jerry Jones as an owner.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Where did you copy this from?
    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...needed_to.html

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillafan View Post
    For an owner who likes cheap headlines for his team, he sure does not like to hold press conferences and talk to the press directly today. See that Eagle's owner press conference today, DeLuria comes across like a up front human being when he took questions about firing Reid. Does Woody have guts? Na.
    The Johnson family is worth 13.5 Billion. He owns most of J&J which employs 117000 people world wide. Although semi retired he doesn't thrive in the limelight. It's just not him. So I accept his words that he wants winner and will keep us headed in that direction.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    The Johnson family is worth 13.5 Billion. He owns most of J&J which employs 117000 people world wide. Although semi retired he doesn't thrive in the limelight. It's just not him. So I accept his words that he wants winner and will keep us headed in that direction.
    and he gets to home to this every night.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Johnson has personally given more than $1 million to Republican candidates and committees to date (2010). In May 2008, he orchestrated a fundraiser in New York City that brought in $7 million in a single evening for John McCain, by far the largest amount collected up to that point by a campaign that had been struggling to raise money. Johnson also provided significant funding to the Republican National Convention of 2008 in Minneapolis-St. Paul convention host committee; from a $10 million shortfall, Johnson contributed personally and solicited friends to assist in covering the convention deficit. In 2011, Woody Johnson announced that he would endorse former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney for the 2012 U.S. Presidential Election.

Couldn't buy a president... why expect him to buy a Championship?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    GMC

Well said.

Even more ironic are the fans that blast Rex for talking too much or being too brash, but insist that the owner must show these same qualities they criticize in order for the fans to be satisfied.

One day fans will realize that ultimately, they do not matter in the day-to-day operations of a football team. We are not privy to what goes on in the meetings, it is not a requirement that the owner or HC explains their decisions and thoughts to us, and we have no say in what those decisions or thoughts should be.

We buy tickets, we watch games, we wear jerseys. We are the cash cow. We are not employees of the NYJ. We're customers. And no, the customer isn't always right.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right? Guy shoulda got drunk and punched one or two people at least! Get some more tabloids and maybe even a reality show out of the deal.

I think you're better off watching Jersey Shore or the Kardahians. This is the NFL. A sport and a business. Losing seasons happen to all. It's what makes the league great. Fix and move on without crying.

Woody is doing exactly as he should. Keep any emotion internal while professionally going about any changes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    he just fired tannenbaum. pretty drastic action from a guy you said doesn't do anything. moreover he hired an outside consultant to give him the information he needs to hire a new gm. pretty smart moves if you ask me even though they don't rank with the headline factors.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How can anyone honestly say Woody wants headlines when Tebow is going to be gone this offseason? Obviously he'd still be here next year if that was the case. Or the fact that the guy didn't even play this year?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    How can anyone honestly say Woody wants headlines when Tebow is going to be gone this offseason? Obviously he'd still be here next year if that was the case. Or the fact that the guy didn't even play this year?
    if woody wanted real headlines this team would be minus a gm all coaches and 3 qbs today.........

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    and he gets to home to this every night.

Lol