Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Offseason Plan: Punt 2013

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    What a fukcing terrible roster we are going to have next year.
    The one we have now gave us 6-10. Ugly is ugly.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    There's no RG3/Luck in this year's draft. The QB crop is weak as hell - and the second tier guys (the Russell Wilsons and Andy Daltons of the world) need to be put in good situations (i.e. solid RB and OL) to have a chance at success. You look at it as wasting a year of our best players' careers. I look at drafting a mediocre QB into a team not prepared to support him as wasting 4.
    So who is the RG3/Luck in next years draft? Guys like that don't generally appear out of thin air. I watch a ton of college football and none of the guys coming back next year impress me all that much. I am sure someone or 2 will develop into an early first round choice, but I don't see it.

I personally loved Logan Thomas on Va Tech. Really big kid, fast, big arm, reminds me of a more athletic Big Ben, but he has gotten worse this year. Bridgewater is frail. Manziel is too short. Maybe I am missing a "can't miss" QB prospect, but next years QB class may not be much better.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Moore would be pretty stupid to even consider that deal. He will get at least 3 years 10mil anywhere else likely more. Same with Campbel who got 3.5 mil last year coming off an injury. The only vet your getting for under 3 mil is not worth having. Like Tebow. If saving cash for next year is all your looking to do here Tebow, and two draft picks are the best way to go at QB. McElroy is the most useless QB in the league. Even a 2nd round QB will have more talent then anything you'll get in FA for under 2 mil. Most of those deals are under vet min why would some of these guys do that? Folk will get at least 2 mil somewhere else and 855 will be his 7 year vet min. Why pay Edwards or Bell that much for that matter? Neither are worth more then vet min. Folk has more value! It is a fair price for Howard but I don't see that getting him back either. His tenure will cost you more then that from my understanding. Maybe not even worth bringing back. I'll pass on Landry if that is the price he flat out is not worth over 7 mil a year that is nuts. Anything over 4 and I say let him walk.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 12-31-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    There's no real alternative, unfortunately. Given our cap situation, we're looking at Sanchez, Matt Moore/Jason Campbell, or a rookie draftee as our QB next season. If you think a team led by any of those options has any shot at making noise, you're fooling yourself (again, a rookie would likely be the best option - if we were solid enough around him to make it work, which we're not). 2013 won't be a championship season under any of those scenarios - so why screw the team for 2014 and beyond, when we could actually have a shot at a Super Bowl if we play our cards right, just to make 2013 mediocre instead of awful?
    something has to be done with the offense, I don't care if I don't recognize a single name. I want at least the hope of scoring some points, and if I don't know the players I can still maintain hope.

In all honesty your plan seems reasonable, I just have little interest in experiencing it first hand as a fan.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    So who is the RG3/Luck in next years draft? Guys like that don't generally appear out of thin air. I watch a ton of college football and none of the guys coming back next year impress me all that much. I am sure someone or 2 will develop into an early first round choice, but I don't see it.

I personally loved Logan Thomas on Va Tech. Really big kid, fast, big arm, reminds me of a more athletic Big Ben, but he has gotten worse this year. Bridgewater is frail. Manziel is too short. Maybe I am missing a "can't miss" QB prospect, but next years QB class may not be much better.
    Driskel but I'd rather Wilson, Barkley or Geno. Also no guaranteeing we can even get them next year. Moore or Campbell plays well we are back to being a 8-8 9-7 team picking 15-20.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    The one we have now gave us 6-10. Ugly is ugly.
    Exactly. Burn it with fire and start over.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Moore would be pretty stupid to even consider that deal. He will get at least 3 years 10mil anywhere else likely more. Same with Campbel who got 3.5 mil last year coming off an injury. The only vet your getting for under 3 mil is not worth having. Like Tebow. If saving cash for next year is all your looking to do here Tebow, and two draft picks are the best way to go at QB. McElroy is the most useless QB in the league. Even a 2nd round QB will have more talent then anything you'll get in FA for under 2 mil. Most of those deals are under vet min why would some of these guys do that? Folk will get at least 2 mil somewhere else and 855 will be his 7 year vet min. Why pay Edwards or Bell that much for that matter? Neither are worth more then vet min. Folk has more value! It is a fair price for Howard but I don't see that getting him back either. His tenure will cost you more then that from my understanding. Maybe not even worth bringing back. I'll pass on Landry if that is the price he flat out is not worth over 7 mil a year that is nuts. Anything over 4 and I say let him walk.
    Moore signed with the Dolphins for 2 years, 5M, and his value today is less than what it was in the 2010 offseason. Campbell got 3.5M to be a backup; this will give him a shot at starting, for which he'd likely take slightly less. Tebow and two backups would be my personal choice, but it's clear the Jets are moving on from him.

Folk's not getting more than the veteran minimum; it's all he got this year. If he gets more, you sign someone else for the vet minimum. A 6-10 team does not need to be wasting cap space on a kicker.

Edwards and Bell are stabilizing influences in the locker room and don't hurt at those prices. You aren't getting a better player for that money, so you may as well stay in-house.

That will be the going rate for Landry, and he's absolutely worth it, IMO. The only risk with him is health, and he's now a full year removed from his injuries. With that contract structure, he can be dumped or extended in 2015/2016.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Driskel but I'd rather Wilson, Barkley or Geno. Also no guaranteeing we can even get them next year. Moore or Campbell plays well we are back to being a 8-8 9-7 team picking 15-20.
    Unlikely given the state of our running game and their past history. We also play the AFCN and NFCS next year, and it's entirely possible that we go 1-7 in those games, losing to Pitt, Cin, Bal, and the entire NFCS, and the Browns are no picnic, either. Schedule wise, the winnable games look like Tennessee, Oakland, Cleveland, and the Miami/Buffalo games. That's a ceiling of 7 wins, and I wouldn't be surprised to see 2-4 wins, with us splitting with Miami and Buffalo and losing to at least one of the other 3.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Moore signed with the Dolphins for 2 years, 5M, and his value today is less than what it was in the 2010 offseason. Campbell got 3.5M to be a backup; this will give him a shot at starting, for which he'd likely take slightly less. Tebow and two backups would be my personal choice, but it's clear the Jets are moving on from him.

Folk's not getting more than the veteran minimum; it's all he got this year. If he gets more, you sign someone else for the vet minimum. A 6-10 team does not need to be wasting cap space on a kicker.

Edwards and Bell are stabilizing influences in the locker room and don't hurt at those prices. You aren't getting a better player for that money, so you may as well stay in-house.

That will be the going rate for Landry, and he's absolutely worth it, IMO. The only risk with him is health, and he's now a full year removed from his injuries. With that contract structure, he can be dumped or extended in 2015/2016.
    Honestly, Matt Moore is the best option for this team next year. He's a pretty decent QB. He's not going to light the world on fire, but he can keep a team in most games. I wouldn't mind it one bit if he's here. I'd rather him compete with a 3rd rounder, if that's an option. Have no interest in Campbell.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    So lets waste another year of Revis/Mangold/Dbrick/Wilkerson/Cromartie career on the off chance there is an elite QB in next years draft and on the off chance we finish with the worst record and land the kid?

No thanks. Teams can turn it around very quickly in the NFL. GIants go from crap to super bowl champions in the same year (twice).
    I agree, especially when it comes with the player's you mentioned. In 2013 Revis will make their secondary that much better with the overall improvement of Antonio this season. The Jets need OL and LB and another WR besides a QB. I would like the Jets to draft Barkley..

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by JETFAN1; 12-31-2012 at 05:40 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with most of it but have suggestions.

1. Spend the money on 1 QB instead of 2 to get a slightly better player. McElroy and Simms can be 2 and 3 unless we pick up a QB on day 2.

2. Much like QB and RB, our pass rusher of the future can be drafted in the future. Draft a tackle in round 2 if we get Womack or a guard if we go tackle in round 1.

3. If we move down from 9 to 12 or 13 we can pick up a much needed third rounder and still get either Womack or Matthews.

4. I like the TE but I would go for Fred Davis or Heath Miller.

5. I would go with Mendellhall or Felix Jones over Hills but Greene needs to be replaced with a UFA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Moore had like a 10 QBR coming out of Carolina sense then he has reelevated his career. He made 3 mil this year he is not going to take a pay cut when he is the top FA on the market. Same with Campbell. We missed getting him cheap last year(this year). To start they would want more not less. Players don't take a pay cut if they know they are going to start. They normally want more. Why risk your career for less? Also who says starting means anything to either of these guys. The league sees them as BUs. No one is going to all of the sudden build a team around these guys. How old is Moore 28 would be 29 he is a career BU. Same with Campbell he is like 31. You think he takes that just to start a game? lol Taking a pay cut now would be stupid for either. Your not talking Leftwich or Quinn both those guys will be looked at hard this off season by more then one or 2 teams.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 12-31-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the thought and effort put in by the OP, but the personnel on the defensive side of the ball are ill-suited for a 4-3 as put forth. Mo and Coples are DEs for a 3-4 straight out of central casting, but you could play them inside as 4-3 DTs, however, you are giving up a lot of weight if you start both there. David Harris is best suited to Scott's current role in a 3-4, taking on blocks to free up the flow MLB. Solo as a MLB in a 4-3 he is glacially slow.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I appreciate the thought and effort put in by the OP, but the personnel on the defensive side of the ball are ill-suited for a 4-3 as put forth. Mo and Coples are DEs for a 3-4 straight out of central casting, but you could play them inside as 4-3 DTs, however, you are giving up a lot of weight if you start both there. David Harris is best suited to Scott's current role in a 3-4, taking on blocks to free up the flow MLB. Solo as a MLB in a 4-3 he is glacially slow.
    +1.

I think Mo could hold up on the inside in the 4-3 but Coples would be more of a "tweener" and would get swallowed in the run game. We would still need an edge rusher like Abe. Maybe Coples could be that guy but he looks better rushing from the inside.

Harris would be an even bigger liability in pass coverage than he is now and I am not sure if he is a sideline to sideline LB so we would be vulnerable against the run too.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetworks View Post
    I think Coples is a natural 4-3 DE. He's ill suited for a 3-4, IMO. Either way, a Rex-led defense will be a hybrid.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    doggin94it - Fantastic Post

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    First, I'm not sure Rex can't survive a rebuilding year, assuming the perception going in is that it is a rebuilding year. Keeping him around allows the GM to evaluate him against realistic expectations, and determine whether he is the right guy for the job in the 2014-2016 window.

More, if the Jets fire Rex after the 2013 season, it allows them to begin a coaching search as one of the more attractive jobs on the market - good cap situation, good pieces in place, just need a QB to make the team take the next step, and drafting high enough to potentially land one.

Right now, the Jets are as unattractive a job as you could imagine: no QB, major holes all over the field, and in cap purgatory (not quite hell, but there won't be a stud FA riding to the rescue, either).
    heck....we were close to being 10 and 6 with Sanchez. Put the Doggin plan in action and we could be a 10 win team.

Good job.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although Wilkerson and Coples look like promising players, neither of them are a great fit as a 4-3 DE. They are both better suited as a 3-4 DE/DT and that is where they excel since neither really has the speed or explosiveness to play on the edge.

Harris is also not a good fit for a 4-3. It's not happening.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I think Coples is a natural 4-3 DE. He's ill suited for a 3-4, IMO. Either way, a Rex-led defense will be a hybrid.
    His best results in college were when he played 4-3 DT, not end. And he has shown the same skills at the NFL level where he has excelled on the inside. He isn't an edge player, and I don't see him developing into one. He's more of an inside power-rush guy, and not dynamic enough for the edge. Like the previous poster mentioned, both Wilk and Coples are perfect 3-4 DE/DT players.

The Jets front 5 is one dynamic edge rusher away from being beastly. Hopefully we can find that player at #9 this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Johnny Manziel threads will be great next year