Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 58

Thread: Radio Host Opinion: REX could have some input on GM !!

  1. #21
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    3,099
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Cleveland fired its HC and GM today. They also said they will hire the HC first! This is how it works in a lot of places. When you believe you have a good head coach you find the right GM who can support that coach and get him the tools he needs to deploy his vision and run his scheme.
    Having a good head coach is one thing, Cleveland doesn't have a coach yet. The only reason Cleveland is going about is because the are going with a huge name for a coach. I believe to lure Chip Kelly, they would have to give him a say in personnel.

    Rex HAD significant say in personnel and it was counter productive. Rex SHOULD not have any say in personnel what so ever.

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    The fact that Rex would have any say at all as to who Woody should hire is ridiculous !!...you are missing the point...the reason the team is in the shape it is in is because of REX !!...it is starting to come out now that Rex was calling all the shots on the draft picks and FA signings......remember Rex talking about the Stephen Hill pick and laughing ?..it was almost like he threw Tanny a bone and let him have at least one pick....Rex and his EGO ARE the problem !!
    Yeah Who's saying that? A bitter ex GM?

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Rex Ryan's job is still up in the air.

    My reason:

    Why is nobody on the Jets in management allowed to speak to the media and the end of season post conference cancelled.


    Rex has a Job until the GM is hired and then that person will decide on Rex. If Woody fired him today with 2 yrs left on his contract, it would have been a mistake. Atleast the team still has some sort of a head.

  4. #24
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    758
    Post Thanks / Like
    If this is true, it's a bad move by Woody.

    But it's not out of the realm of possibility either. Didn't St.Louis do this last year with Jeff Fisher? He had a hand in their GM selection process if I recall.

  5. #25
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    If this is true, it's a bad move by Woody.

    But it's not out of the realm of possibility either. Didn't St.Louis do this last year with Jeff Fisher? He had a hand in their GM selection process if I recall.
    But taking this report and comparing to what we know already; it doesn't add up

  6. #26
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,696
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I think Rex Ryan's job is still up in the air.

    My reason:

    Why is nobody on the Jets in management allowed to speak to the media and the end of season post conference cancelled.


    Rex has a Job until the GM is hired and then that person will decide on Rex. If Woody fired him today with 2 yrs left on his contract, it would have been a mistake. Atleast the team still has some sort of a head.
    I believe this to be the case. Where's the downside? You let any candidate know that if he wants to fire Rex he can (if he can Woody agree on the replacement) In the meantime, the new GM may want to keep Rex -this keeps options open and potentially saves money if the GM wants to keep him.

  7. #27
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,074
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    You work with people, not for them.
    What ?? You work FOR them.

  8. #28
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    1,336
    Post Thanks / Like
    During Hard knocks, I specifically remember Rex lamenting to Tanny, that after the forst line starters, tne team had no depth. Rex knew he was in a bad situation.

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,451
    Post Thanks / Like
    All in on Sanchez.

    We all lose.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    All in on Sanchez.

    We all lose.
    You are so gullible.

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mianus CT
    Posts
    7,673
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cooler King View Post
    This was just mentioned by Kay/La Greca while talking to Steve Young...if this is actually true, that Rex will have input as to who the next GM will be, then any Jet fan worth their salt has to be done with this team !!...this means that Rex is now HC/GM and this move by Woody is just a band aid. The new "GM" hire will be no more than a puppet to Rex...Woody is lost...completely and totally lost.....
    clinkscales will be the new gm book it, if this is true and more inept organizational duties

  12. #32
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    758
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I think Rex Ryan's job is still up in the air.

    My reason:

    Why is nobody on the Jets in management allowed to speak to the media and the end of season post conference cancelled.


    Rex has a Job until the GM is hired and then that person will decide on Rex. If Woody fired him today with 2 yrs left on his contract, it would have been a mistake. Atleast the team still has some sort of a head.
    I think you're spot on, Tinstar.

    Rex's job is still in limbo until a new GM is decided upon. Seems logical to me.

  13. #33
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    clinkscales will be the new gm book it, if this is true and more inept organizational duties
    Then why didn't they just hire him? And why hire this firm to help him?

    THE FACTS DON'T ADD UP

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Wait a minute.

    Then why would Woody go out and hire a firm/somebody to help him pick a GM?


    I don't buy this. FOR A SECOND

    don't let facts get in the way of a good panic thread on teh Pfail.

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mianus CT
    Posts
    7,673
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Then why didn't they just hire him? And why hire this firm to help him?

    THE FACTS DON'T ADD UP
    who is to say how long ago woody hired this firm and who is to say they don't have a gm already ust waiting on announcing it.

  16. #36
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    who is to say how long ago woody hired this firm and who is to say they don't have a gm already ust waiting on announcing it.
    Do you really think in this day and age of social media and add to that the fact that Pettine was a mole that Woody Johnson could have kept this firm a secret for long?

  17. #37
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    don't let facts get in the way of a good panic thread on teh Pfail.
    Every thread on this page is a panic thread.

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I think Rex Ryan's job is still up in the air.

    My reason:

    Why is nobody on the Jets in management allowed to speak to the media and the end of season post conference cancelled.


    Rex has a Job until the GM is hired and then that person will decide on Rex. If Woody fired him today with 2 yrs left on his contract, it would have been a mistake. Atleast the team still has some sort of a head.
    this is probably a lot closer to the truth.


    good post.

  19. #39
    Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,209
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I believe this to be the case. Where's the downside? You let any candidate know that if he wants to fire Rex he can (if he can Woody agree on the replacement) In the meantime, the new GM may want to keep Rex -this keeps options open and potentially saves money if the GM wants to keep him.
    That was not my interpretation of Woody's statement at all. He backed Rex as fully as one possibly could, I think it's a 100% certainty that Rex will be back next season. Woody could have given a statement such as "Rex is under contract at this time" and left the door open to the new GM having the authority to fire or keep Rex.

  20. #40
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    That was not my interpretation of Woody's statement at all. He backed Rex as fully as one possibly could, I think it's a 100% certainty that Rex will be back next season. Woody could have given a statement such as "Rex is under contract at this time" and left the door open to the new GM having the authority to fire or keep Rex.
    Another thing I just thought of.

    Remember when the organization helped Brian Schottenheimer get another job by praising him a lot in the off season?

    This could be the exact same thing that Woody is doing.
    Almost like a reference for employment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us