Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the Jets real offensive needs?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

What are the Jets real offensive needs?

It would seem that the two big ones would be QB and WR's, but with the signing of Braylon, the return of Holmes, the solid play of Kerley, and the development of Hill, I would say this area isn't as critical as it appeared this season.

The Jets need much better QB play, but as we saw with McElroy if the line doesn't protect it won't matter who is under center they will not succeed. It would seem that the Jets most pressing need on offense is better protection that should bring more consistent QB play. Everyone will have different opinions on this, but mine is that the Jets need to load up on O-line in this draft and see if they can get at least one quality veteran O-lineman in free agency.

Sanchez isn't going anywhere. All the Jets can do is try to protect him or whoever wins the QB competition in camp. That's my opinion of the Jets most pressing offensive need, what's yours?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blocking TE, Shifty RB with some burst and speed, QB that doesn't ass fumble.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I like this ... I'd make a small change though ...

QB that doesn't ass fumble, QB that doesn't ass fumble, QB that doesn't ass fumble, QB that doesn't have a penchant for pick 6s.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I like this ... I'd make a small change though ...

QB that doesn't ass fumble, QB that doesn't ass fumble, QB that doesn't ass fumble, QB that doesn't have a penchant for pick 6s.
    Madre de Dios, I think you're onto something here...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a very good point. The Jets actually do have to bring in some legit QB competition for Sanchez that the Jets actually will start if Sanchez looks as bad as he did this season. Sanchez needs to know that the Jets will sit him down and demote him and that there is a real threat of that happening rather than having someone like Tebow that the Jets never really intended to start under any circumstances.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    That's a very good point. The Jets actually do have to bring in some legit QB competition for Sanchez that the Jets actually will start if Sanchez looks as bad as he did this season. Sanchez needs to know that the Jets will sit him down and demote him and that there is a real threat of that happening rather than having someone like Tebow that the Jets never really intended to start under any circumstances.
    Precisely. No more of this empty threat bs.

When I was a kid and my parents threw empty threats at me to get me to behave, you know what happened? Nothing. After so long of the same idle words, I wised up to the fact that nothing would happen. Then, one day, I finally got my ass whipped. Same needs to happen to Mark.
    Last edited by McGinley; 01-01-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest mistake the Jets made was signing Tebow without ever intending to start him. Had they simply kept Drew Stanton instead they would have had a legitimate 2nd option that they could have gone to in mid-season. The Jets have to bring back that kind option in the offseason and really intend to use it as early as training camp.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB-- now its personal. Sanchez was dubbed "leader" in his rookie year. This was the first instance of a clueless perspective from the staff. Can you imagine being a talented vet (Revis, Mangold, Harris, ...) and being told that this is your leader? I can no longer even see his face without being angry.

The cap hit is either big over two years or huge next year. If we accept that 2013 is a rebuilding year, clearing the books of Sanchez is worth it and clearing tge lockerroom of his presence is priceless.

OC- maybe you are talking players, but I feel more strongly about changing QB first. Both these moves should happen immediately when the new GM moves in.

O-line- pass protection is pathetic. This is my vote for Tanny's worst guidance...allowing this group to degrade so thoroughly. Look to the draft AND free agency since we not only need multiple new starters, but have to add depth.

RB- Need for a real number one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1. QB
    2. OL
    3. OL
    4. OL
    5. WR/TE
    6. RB

The best way to rebuild this offense is not the sexy way. Just look to 2006 as the blueprint. Took OL with our top two picks.

We need to fix this offense from the inside out. Start with repairing the foundation. Find a future QB over the next two drafts and then get him weapons.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would seem that the two big ones would be QB and WR's, but with the signing of Braylon, the return of Holmes, the solid play of Kerley, and the development of Hill, I would say this area isn't as critical as it appeared this season.

The Jets need much better QB play, but as we saw with McElroy if the line doesn't protect it won't matter who is under center they will not succeed. It would seem that the Jets most pressing need on offense is better protection that should bring more consistent QB play. Everyone will have different opinions on this, but mine is that the Jets need to load up on O-line in this draft and see if they can get at least one quality veteran O-lineman in free agency.

Sanchez isn't going anywhere. All the Jets can do is try to protect him or whoever wins the QB competition in camp. That's my opinion of the Jets most pressing offensive need, what's yours?
    This all makes to much sense. Is this coach Parcels.?.?.?.?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    1. QB
    2. OL
    3. OL
    4. OL
    5. WR/TE
    6. RB

The best way to rebuild this offense is not the sexy way. Just look to 2006 as the blueprint. Took OL with our top two picks.

We need to fix this offense from the inside out. Start with repairing the foundation. Find a future QB over the next two drafts and then get him weapons.
    This. A team in the process of rebuilding can't afford flashy and fancy. Before we add the icing, we have to bake the cake.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The Jets need a #1. Holmes has proven he is not one, and is certainly no lock to remain past next years guaranteed contract.

Hill has not proven anything except that he is fast and has trouble holding on to the ball.

Braylon has not been able to stay on the field and may not even re-sign.

Kerley is an asset as a in the slot pass catcher

But to me WR is the 5th biggest need on the Jets offense

1. QB
    1B. Oline
    2. RB
    3. TE
    4. WR

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It always starts with the O-Line.
    We need to replace both guards and upgrade RT.
    Clearly we need a new QB. But Sanchez isnt going anywhere so we need a guy who can legitimately challenge him for the starting job.
    If Braylon resigns, i think we are ok at WR.
    We need a TE who can block and be a receiver.
    We need a shifty RB who complements the power runners we have.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    The Jets need a #1. Holmes has proven he is not one, and is certainly no lock to remain past next years guaranteed contract.

Hill has not proven anything except that he is fast and has trouble holding on to the ball.

1. QB
    1B. Oline
    2. RB
    3. TE
    4. WR
    Exactly. Dump Sanchez now for cap room in 2014.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

1. QB
    1B. Oline
    2. RB
    3. TE
    4. WR

QB is a big problem but I just don't see who's out there that can be named an immediate starter without a camp competition with Sanchez. Vick perhaps... but Vick needs major protection too because he's so injury prone plus he would cost big dollars I would think.

More than likely it will be someone like Jason Campbell unless the Jets can somehow miraculously dump Sanchez on Seattle and take Matt Flynn in return.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB is a big problem but I just don't see who's out there that can be named an immediate starter without a camp competition with Sanchez. Vick perhaps... but Vick needs major protection too because he's so injury prone plus he would cost big dollars I would think.

More than likely it will be someone like Jason Campbell unless the Jets can somehow miraculously dump Sanchez on Seattle and take Matt Flynn in return.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    It always starts with the O-Line.
    We need to replace both guards and upgrade RT.
    Clearly we need a new QB. But Sanchez isnt going anywhere so we need a guy who can legitimately challenge him for the starting job.
    If Braylon resigns, i think we are ok at WR.
    We need a TE who can block and be a receiver.
    We need a shifty RB who complements the power runners we have.
    We need to get some monsters in the trenches with a TE that can pick up blitzes and a RB that is blitz conscious and doesn't have hands of stone.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason I say Jason Campbell is: He's 6-5/230 lbs, has a career completion percentage over 60%, a career QB rating of 82.5, has throw for almost 15,000 yards, can be gotten for a very reasonable price, and provides a real starting threat to Sanchez rather than a publicity stunt to sell PSL's.

Why would you go with a rookie when you can sign an experienced player for the same price who has actually won games in the NFL? He also lead Oakland to a 4-2 record before the Raiders signed Palmer, which turned out to be a collasal mistake.
    Last edited by billygreen; 01-01-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason I say Jason Campbell is: He's 6-5/230 lbs, has a career completion percentage over 60%, a career QB rating of 82.5, has throw for almost 15,000 yards, can be gotten for a very reasonable price, and provides a real starting threat to Sanchez rather than a publicity stunt to sell PSL's.
    Bro, Larry knows bad QBs. You gonna go against Larry's advice, bro?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanchez can in no way be the QB of this team next year. As a back up I can live with him - but there can't even be a competition.

Did you watch him this year???? There is no QB worse than him.