Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: What are the Jets real offensive needs?

  1. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Bro, Larry knows bad QBs. You gonna go against Larry's advice, bro?
    Let me put it this way, Campbell is as big as Ben Roethlisberger and a full 3 inches taller than Mark Sanchez (maybe no more batted down balls at the line?).

    He would instantly threaten Sanchez for the starting job, and Sanchez would either lift his play or die. Plus we can get him for less money than we were paying Tebow to do nothing. I can't see a downside here.

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Let me put it this way, Campbell is as big as Ben Roethlisberger and a full 3 inches taller than Mark Sanchez (maybe no more batted down balls at the line?).

    He would instantly threaten Sanchez for the starting job, and Sanchez would either lift his play or die. Plus we can get him for less money than we were paying Tebow to do nothing. I can't see a downside here.
    Tis' true. You just better hope our OLine doesn't play like the Bears OLine next season, should we end up with Campbell. Campbell Soup showed just how bad he can be behind such a line this year.

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,701
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets need to shore up the Oline & get a RB with some speed.
    They have 7 picks in the draft

    #1 should be OLB or Best Olineman available
    #2 Oline
    #3 RB or TE
    #4 BPA
    #5 BPA
    #6 BPA
    #7 BPA

    4 through 7 it doesn't even matter, when you are rebuilding you just go BPA & let the chips fall where they may.
    Maybe with a new GM that has a clue we get lucky & are able to upgrade a position & trade the guy who gets beat out.
    Other than Cro- Revis- Wilk- Coples- Mangold- Dbrick- Hill- Kerley
    Not any other player on this team should be considered a lock to keep their job
    Open competition at every position!

  4. #24
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Tis' true. You just better hope our OLine doesn't play like the Bears OLine next season, should we end up with Campbell. Campbell Soup showed just how bad he can be behind such a line this year.
    Well that's the beauty of it, Campbell won't impact our cap that much, so we'll be killing two birds with one stone: Providing real competition to Sanchez while still having enough cash to shore up our O-line so no matter who the starter is they'll get decent protection.

  5. #25
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Well that's the beauty of it, Campbell won't impact our cap that much, so we'll be killing two birds with one stone: Providing real competition to Sanchez while still having enough cash to shore up our O-line so no matter who the starter is they'll get decent protection.
    Hmm. I still don't know. I guess he was decent in Oakland before all the injuries destroyed him and the team.

  6. #26
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Two words re: 2013 NYJ starting QB for reasonable price


    MATT MOORE

  7. #27
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,389
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a very simple one......every position BUT LT and C. Oh, and how about a damn punt returner that won't break the fair catch record again?

  8. #28
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,444
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    Let me put it this way, Campbell is as big as Ben Roethlisberger and a full 3 inches taller than Mark Sanchez (maybe no more batted down balls at the line?).

    He would instantly threaten Sanchez for the starting job, and Sanchez would either lift his play or die. Plus we can get him for less money than we were paying Tebow to do nothing. I can't see a downside here.
    +1

  9. #29
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,694
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Jets need to shore up the Oline & get a RB with some speed.
    They have 7 picks in the draft

    #1 should be OLB or Best Olineman available
    #2 Oline
    #3 RB or TE
    #4 BPA
    #5 BPA
    #6 BPA
    #7 BPA

    4 through 7 it doesn't even matter, when you are rebuilding you just go BPA & let the chips fall where they may.
    Maybe with a new GM that has a clue we get lucky & are able to upgrade a position & trade the guy who gets beat out.
    Other than Cro- Revis- Wilk- Coples- Mangold- Dbrick- Hill- Kerley
    Not any other player on this team should be considered a lock to keep their job
    Open competition at every position!
    That's pretty much what the Steelers did last year when they took DeCastro (OG) in the 1st and Mike Adams (OT) in the 2nd. They knew what their immediate needs were and went right after it in the draft. Decastro was hurt in like Week 1 I believe, so that hurt them, but their draft needs in the last draft were the same as the Jets draft needs are now.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    14,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    That's pretty much what the Steelers did last year when they took DeCastro (OG) in the 1st and Mike Adams (OT) in the 2nd. They knew what their immediate needs were and went right after it in the draft. Decastro was hurt in like Week 1 I believe, so that hurt them, but their draft needs in the last draft were the same as the Jets draft needs are now.
    I think he went down against the Bills in preseason, actually. Either way, you are correct.

    This draft isn't going to be flashy or anything. We need to build up a strong foundation for which future skill players can stand upon.

  11. #31
    All League
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    East Windsor NJ, Brooklyn born & raised
    Posts
    4,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want a 1200 yard rusher who can make a defender miss, an accurate QB, and receivers that can get separation for said accurate QB to complete a high percentage of 8-15 yard passes.

    Priority: (IMO)
    1) QB
    2) OL (2 new starters)
    3/4) WR/RB

  12. #32
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,628
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by billygreen View Post
    QB is a big problem but I just don't see who's out there that can be named an immediate starter without a camp competition with Sanchez. Vick perhaps... but Vick needs major protection too because he's so injury prone plus he would cost big dollars I would think.

    More than likely it will be someone like Jason Campbell unless the Jets can somehow miraculously dump Sanchez on Seattle and take Matt Flynn in return.
    Well you didn't ask what positions were easiest to fill. No team no matter how well constructed will win with Sanchez ala 2012.

    If I owned the jets, I would sign Hoyer and Garrard and sit Sanchez.
    I would RFA Tag Howard and sign Moore to a 1 year deal and trade down multiple times and pick up extra picks in the draft and totaly rebuild that oline with 3 of the first 5 picks.

    So that when a young qb is brought in the line will be there for him and whatever RB is on the roster.

  13. #33
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holmes is at best a number two. Edwards, at best a number three. We need a highly skilled number one who can stretch the field. We also need two new offensive lineman, a new tight end and perhaps an explosive third down back.

    Of course, this all revolves around getting a real QB.

  14. #34
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,910
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB
    RB
    QB
    TE
    QB
    RT
    QB

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Fr:NYC to Mid Ga.
    Posts
    8,838
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets need a QB dang it!

  16. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    a qb changes everything and everyone.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us