Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Post crucifies Rex

The Post crucifies Rex

The article this morning in the Post takes aim squarely at Ryan and while the media gets paid to create stories this one is suggests that Ryan is inept.

First let's be clear, the time for excuses and pointing the fingers at someone else are coming to a swift end. Schotty was shown the door, Tanny was fired and most likely Sporano will also be asked to leave. Ryan is a passionate coach and players like playing for him but being passionate does not always get it done. Just look at the Patriots who are as methodical as an executioner and just go about their business. They routinely let players go who are do for big paydays, except Brady.

The needs for this team are so huge right now that I doubt they can have a winning season next year. 2013 will be a transition year but the fact of the matter is that Jet fans are sick of loosing and if they have another year like this one they will demand something be done and in all liklihood that will mean goodbye Rex.

I personally like Rex but I am sick and tired of the bravado and the lack of transparency from this organization. I want players who are hungry for a ring and I want a team that has the personality of a winner not a laughing stock. As for the Post article ? I don't give it too much because the author has never played the game professionally. Maybe if writers knew more about what goes on within the org than he would be more understanding but in the NFL you're paid to win and in New York that light burns brighter than ever. The Post is right about one thing; the time for excuses and finger pointing is coming to an end for Ryan and he is on borrowed time.

Hall Of Fame
    The media is starting to turn on him.

Buh-bye.

As of now we have a lame duck coach. Hopefully Woody comes to his senses. Let's get a real GM in here and let him decide.

After 4 years of drama and comedy, pardoned Jets coach now in danger of Rextinction

By STEVE SERBY

The final Buttfumble comes from Rex Ryan, who postponed his year-end press conference — brilliantly scheduled for seven hours before the start of 2013 — to hide under his desk on the day general manager’s Mike Tannenbaum’s head rolled past him.

So for Jets fans who needed to hear his fearless vision for a better tomorrow, his thoughts on Life After Tanny and Life After Tony (Sparano), here’s what you got from the humbled face of the franchise:

Happy New Rear!

Perhaps Ryan was distraught owner Woody Johnson gave him this stay of Rexecution with $6 million left on his contract with so many tempting new head-coach openings in the wake of Black Monday.

Perhaps he was having a knockdown, drag-out fistfight with Tim Tebow.

Perhaps he wants to think further about whether it makes sense to essentially be a lame duck with a barren offensive cupboard who could find himself victimized by a hostile front office takeover led by a new GM who inevitably will seek to hire his own man.

He’s next, and he knows it. Knows the next time Johnson and the new GM (the 49ers’ Tom Gamble?) come looking for a scapegoat, it will be him.

Knows he is Dead Coach Walking.

Ryan’s mandate is to get Johnson to the first New York Super Bowl with his third offensive coordinator (Norv Turner?) in three years and without a clue as to the identity of the quarterback (Alex Smith?) who can get him there. And a new special-teams coach and quite possibly a new defensive coordinator. While trapped in salary cap hell. That’s Lindsay Lohan-level stability.

He is Last Man Standing, in grave danger of drowning off a place Darrelle Revis might call Ryan Island.

He is Rex Ryan, head coach of the New York Buttfumblers.

Ryan’s crowning achievement, in a season when he and his team were the Super Bowl champs of clowning achievements, was that he didn’t lose the locker room. Hooray for Rex!

It is one thing to keep the inmates from running the asylum, quite another when would-be free agents can see you are still running an asylum.

Because it wasn’t only Mark Sanchez who regressed at an alarming rate, Ryan did as well. It wasn’t only Sanchez who gave us a Buttfumble of a season, Ryan did as well.

“I believe that he has the passion, the talent and the desire to successfully lead our team,” Johnson said in a statement.

What likely saved Ryan was the support of his players, because most successful organizations do not saddle an incoming GM with a head coach not of his choosing.

But these are Johnson’s New York Buttfumblers.

Why clean house? What’s the rush?

Now, should the incoming GM that Johnson covets change his mind about Ryan, all bets could be off.

Once Tannenbaum read the players a heartfelt farewell letter he had written and exited stage right, Ryan allayed their fears that he might be next.

“I’m gonna be the coach next year,” he said.

When you are a no-show on the day after a season without reason ends, you begin to wonder whether he may have taken his stay of Rexecution more as a death sentence than a reason to start Tebowing excitedly at the owner’s feet.

I don’t believe Ryan wants out ... just wonder how much he still wants in.

“I know he has the passion, I know he has the drive to take us where we want to be,” Sanchez said.

But after four years on the job, you still get the feeling Ryan thinks the Buttfumble is part of the offensive playbook.

Say whatever you want about Tannenbaum — “Vernon Gholston” and “Vladimir Ducasse” come to mind — but Ryan wanted Sanchez as his franchise quarterback every bit as much as the former GM did. If Ryan didn’t believe in Sanchez, Tannenbaum would not have given him that albatross contract extension last offseason.

If Ryan didn’t want Tebow, he (and Tannenbaum) had every opportunity to convince the hyperventilating owner. It was Ryan who wanted Sparano to coordinate his leather-helmet offense. It was Ryan and Sparano and offensive line coach Dave DeGuglielmo who swore by Wayne Hunter. It was Ryan who thought he could ride a Ground & Pound tractor in a league of quarterback-driven Indy 500 race cars.

So there is plenty of blood on Ryan’s hands here. He all but placed Tebow on ankle-bracelet house arrest, drove the guy mad, seemed to be obsessed with obeying some imaginary law that made it a felony to yank Sanchez.

It is past time for Ryan to wake up and realize that loose lips sink ships, and only one voice, his voice, will be heard from now on.

“He’s a great leader,” Mike DeVito said.

Great leaders make the necessary changes. Jets fans want a football coach. Not a drama king or circus ringmaster. They want a football team.

Not the soap opera “As The World Turns Your Stomach.”

Johnson’s worst nightmare is Eli Manning vs. Tom Brady III in the New York Super Bowl next winter. He isn’t interested in selling hot dogs at that one.

He bought the New York Jets, not the New York Buttfumblers.

And there is a Rexpiration date on novelty acts once they stop winning.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...w8xbdIgGPs4xpI

GM fall guy for woes while Ryan keeps job

By BRIAN COSTELLO

This is one move Mike Tannenbaum could not talk Jets owner Woody Johnson out of making.

Johnson fired Tannenbaum as the team’s general manager yesterday morning after seven years on the job and nearly 16 with the organization.

“Our 2012 season was a disappointment to all of us,” Johnson said in a statement. “My goal every year as owner is to build a team that wins consistently. This year, we failed to achieve that goal.”

While Tannenbaum was shown the door, Johnson announced head coach Rex Ryan will remain. Tannenbaum had been on shaky ground for a while.

Much of the blame for the team’s 6-10 season was placed on him because a lack of talent was seen as the biggest flaw. After Sunday’s 28-9 season-ending loss in Buffalo, there was speculation Ryan might be fired as well.

Instead, he will have a new boss next year.

“I believe that he has the passion, the talent and the drive to successfully lead our team,” Johnson said of Ryan.

The Jets have hired Jed Hughes of the search firm Korn/Ferry International to lead the hunt for a new GM. Hughes previously led the search for the Seahawks GM.

The Jets already have begun contacting candidates. They requested, and were granted, permission to interview Giants director of college scouting Marc Ross and 49ers director of player personnel Tom Gamble, according to sources.

Both Ross and Gamble are considered hot candidates for several GM openings, so the Jets will have competition. Ross has overseen the Giants’ drafts since 2008.

Gamble was once a Jets assistant coach under Rich Kotite. He has helped build the 49ers into one of the best teams in football.

USA Today reported the Jets reached out to former Bills, Panthers and Colts GM Bill Polian last month to gauge his interest. The 70-year-old told them he had no interest, according to the report. Ravens assistant GM Eric DeCosta released a statement yesterday saying he wants to remain in Baltimore.

The 43-year-old Tannenbaum joined the team in 1997 and quickly became a favorite of coach Bill Parcells for his salary-cap expertise. He ascended to general manager in 2006 and his tenure included three trips to the playoffs, two AFC Championship Games and several splashy moves. He drafted stars Darrelle Revis, D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold and made the huge trade for Brett Favre in 2008. He missed on other moves like drafting Vernon Gholston at No. 6 overall in 2008 and trading for Tim Tebow this spring.

“While of course it is disappointing to not achieve the ultimate goal of winning a championship, I am incredibly proud of our overall winning record and success,” Tannenbaum said in a statement. “There are champions on this team that haven’t been crowned yet.”

Tannenbaum lost on several recent gambles, including the Tebow trade, giving Mark Sanchez a contract extension and re-signing Santonio Holmes to a huge deal. He had two years remaining on his contract.

At yesterday’s meeting, an emotional Tannenbaum read a letter to the team and said goodbye. The players clapped for him when he finished.

“Everybody gets evaluated,” Revis said. “In this business we get evaluated every week. It’s just the business side of it. He did great things here for us the last couple of years. I don’t know. It’s really sad.”

Ryan is now in a tenuous position. He has two years left on his deal, but will be on the hot seat in 2013 working for a new boss who did not hire him.

Ryan’s scheduled press conference was canceled yesterday, fueling speculation that more changes on the coaching staff could be coming. Offensive coordinator Tony Sparano is expected to be fired, but no announcement was made.

The Jets players were happy Ryan will be back for a fifth season. His message to the team yesterday was it is on each individual to improve for next season.

“I know he has the passion and I know he has the drive to take us where we want to be and to get us into the postseason and make another run at the Super Bowl,” Sanchez said. “He’s my head coach. We’ve had a lot of wins together and I know there’s plenty more to come.”

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...xItOdhKAlgsL5I

All Pro
    I wonder how this incompetent fool ever got to two championship games in his first two years on the job.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Not too much of an agenda

What a joke

Jets Insider VIP
    figured it had to be Serby

the chameleon who writes a column every year before game one predicting that the Giants and the Jets will meet in that year's Superbowl

and then writes a column demanding that everyone be fired at the end of every season

Richard Todd didn't push that moron into the locker hard enough IMO

NYDN Tim Smith: Jets owner Woody Johnson should fire Rex Ryan in addition to GM

Nothing that happened this year stuck to Ryan, who vowed to be more involved in the offense this season and proclaimed this the best team he had ever coached.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

That huge sigh of relief you heard on Monday morning was emanating from Florham Park and it came from Rex Ryan. On Black Monday around the NFL, Ryan was not singing the same blues as seven of his other coaching brethren from around the league.

Nearly a fourth of all the head coaches in the NFL were fired at the end of the season and Ryan was left standing. As of Monday afternoon, Ryan appears to have survived for at least another season as Woody Johnson decided to fire GM Mike Tannenbaum, who will serve as this year’s scapegoat for the team’s failings.
    WHO STAYS, AND WHO GOES? PLAY JETS KEEP 'EM OR DUMP 'EM

There was no announcement on the fate of offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, but he will take the fall for the offense — from the ineffectiveness and regression of Mark Sanchez to the inability to utilize Tim Tebow — as surely as Tannenbaum took the hit for the whole mess.

Nothing that happened this year stuck to Ryan, who vowed to be more involved in the offense this season and proclaimed this the best team he had ever coached. So what role did Ryan play in the 6-10 debacle? His fingerprints were all over this season and he and Tannenbaum were partners in this thing up until the time it came for one of them to get fired. They were both supposed to be accountable, and Johnson should have swept them both out. Ryan should have gone, too.

There were no answers on Monday. Johnson released a statement saying that Tannenbaum had been fired and Ryan had been retained because “he has the passion, the talent and the drive to lead the team.’’

Ryan was supposed to speak to the media on Monday afternoon, but the press conference was canceled shortly after reporters arrived at the training facility on Monday morning.

On a day that begged for answers from Jets officials regarding the franchise’s future there were none available. The few players who drifted into the locker room to clean out their cubicles were left to put the season and the Tannenbaum firing into perspective.

“We have to evaluate everybody from the top to the bottom and build this team up to have a winning team for next season,’’ said Darrelle Revis. “Right now we’re in the stages of making changes. Whatever those changes are you have to accept them.’’

Mark Sanchez was waiting for the next cleat to drop.

“Everybody is just kind of looking around and waiting on the next piece of news and move on from there,’’ Sanchez said. “I’m confident that Rex can take us where we need to go. He can inspire this team and bring us back from where we are now.’’

Ryan sold that to Johnson to save his job. He did a better sales job than Tannenbaum, who was a goner from the time unidentified sources within the organization started ripping Tebow and the lack of talent on the team.

One of them said high school teams had better receivers. That is a damning comment on the lack of talent for an NFL team with playoff aspirations.

You could see the lines being drawn and the sides — coaches and the personnel department — taking aim at each other for the wreckage that was coming.

Ultimately Johnson came down on the side of Ryan and the coaches, believing Tannenbaum had let the cupboard get bare of talent. Ryan was able to lay off all the losses on Tannenbaum and possibly Sparano.

The players were behind Ryan’s return as the coach and they expressed sadness about Tannenbaum getting fired.

“It’s just the business side of it. He did great things here the last couple of years. It’s really sad,’’ said Revis. “You don’t want to see anybody get fired or released in this manner. He had a great speech that he wrote (and read in the team meeting). Guys clapped after and felt sad for him.’’

Revis went down with a season-ending knee injury the third game and watched the team unravel from afar as he was rehabbing. He saw the fits and starts, the sputtering offense, the Tebow turmoil. It wasn’t pretty. Still, he is in favor of Ryan returning for next season.

“Yeah. I think Rex is a great coach,’’ Revis said. “Just looking outside in, we just need to evaluate this offseason and try to get some playmakers in here to come out and make plays.’’

After failing to make the playoffs in 2011, Ryan and Tannenbaum threw offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer under the bus. After this year’s circus — the Tebow fiasco, Sanchez and his butt fumble, and a monumental team collapse down the stretch — Ryan pointed the finger at Tannenbaum, who is now out.

There are no more scapegoats left for Ryan. When the new GM takes over and hires a new offensive coordinator, Ryan will have to be accountable for the end result that is on the field next season. If it doesn’t work out, Ryan, who has two years left on his contract, could be crying the blues next Black Monday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1230787

Hall Of Fame
    It's over for Rex. The media killed Mangini and he was no where near as exposed as Rex is. Rex can't protect himself by all of a sudden going dark.

Woody needs to put him out of his misery. Next year will be brutal for Rex. You are basically asking him to coach for his job with a roster/cap situation that leaves little room for improvement.

Just cut bait and do a proper rebuild.

I despise the New York press. They will turn on anybody, if they think it can improve there profile and sell newspapers. Say what you want about Ryan, he's been more than accommodating to them, and friendly despite of the wife stories and clown suit stuff. I hope Rex sticks it to them next year and becomes a BB< AT PRESSERS>Tell them nothing, because if you do, they'll twist it, for there own benefit

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I wonder how this incompetent fool ever got to two championship games in his first two years on the job.
    To which fool are you referring to? Some would say we have a few. lol

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    It's over for Rex. The media killed Mangini and he was no where near as exposed as Rex is.

Woody needs to put him out of his misery. Next year will be brutal for Rex. You are basically asking him to coach for his job with a roster/cap situation that leaves little room for improvement.

Yep...Blood is in the water..Tannenbaum is gone...Next up, Rex.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    I despise the New York press. They will turn on anybody, if they think it can improve there profile and sell newspapers. Say what you want about Ryan, he's been more than accommodating to them, and friendly despite of the wife stories and clown suit stuff. I hope Rex sticks it to them next year and becomes a BB< AT PRESSERS>Tell them nothing, because if you do, they'll twist it, for there own benefit
    I agree. But you have to understand that going in. Rex is now an easy target.

Barring a miracle, he is toast after next year. That is why it is best to let him go now.

Practice Squad
    All I heard on the radio, ESPN in particular, is why didn't the Jets have a Press Conf. They owe it to the fans, etc...
    They don't care to sheets about the fans. The media wanted to hammer someone, especially Rex. If Rex gets fired thats fine, but the media is just another elitist club of bloodsuckers.
    Last edited by ken shroy; 01-01-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Good comments thank you guys, personally I hope that the Jets have a great season next year so Rex can tell them all to go fart on themselves. You're right these guys turn on anyone in a heartbeat

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Yep...Blood is in the water..Tannenbaum is gone...Next up, Rex.
    We have all seen this movie before. We know how it ends.

Rex made his bed and he should be held accountable. But there is no need to put him and the fans through the mill next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    a good season next year

and the same jacka$$ jackals will be promoting Rex for Coach of the Year

hopefully the cancellation of the press conference is a prelude to the Jets working with Rex to adopt the Belichick formula for questions from the media next season...

sorry guys, I'm not the doctor so I have no injury updates

we have to look at the film and work on that

any more questions.... no.... thank you guys

Are steelers fans calling for tomlins head. He brought in Todd Haley who tried to change the way Big Ben plays his position. Didn't work, did it

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    It's over for Rex. The media killed Mangini and he was no where near as exposed as Rex is. Rex can't protect himself by all of a sudden going dark.

No premium candidate wants to come to this mess this off season. Let Rex deal with it and give the new guy a clean slate next year.

Are steelers fans calling for tomlins head. He brought in Todd Haley who tried to change the way Big Ben plays his position. Didn't work, did it
    Some probably are...But when you win 2 SBs in 5 yrs, and don't act like a clueless buffoon, you get a mulligan...