Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling it now. Rex is still getting canned.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Calling it now. Rex is still getting canned.

I know they said he'd be returning for next season already, but the fact that he hasn't been allowed to talk to the media yet is odd. They did the same thing with Schotty last year. They said he was coming back until he was done interviewing for head coaching jobs, then they "parted ways".

I think Woody wants the new GM to know he wants Rex back, but it will be the new GM's decision whether to keep him in the end or not.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll buy a round of drinks for the board if your theory is true.

Woody, there is still time to make this right. Fire Rex, even if it is at the hand of your new GM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are 2 realistic scenarios regarding Rex's employment.

1. The new GM will can him immediately and bring in his own people.

2. Rex will get one more year, watch the offense fail next year (because it's inconceivable they'll fix that mess in 1 offseason) and get canned this time next year.

Either way, he's done. It's just a matter of "when".

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is still a possibility. But I wouldn't read too much into the press conference being cancelled as the reason. Rex has proven time and time again that he simply can't handle them and that going out there yesterday would be a disaster. He wouldn't have any answers for the majority of questions.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suspected that the press conference was cancelled because while they are making this change, they don't want Rex to put his foot in his mouth again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    As long as the GM has the decision I'm ok with whatever that decision is

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Slim to no chance the new GM keeps Rex around as the HC.

I can see Rex being demoted to DC which is the only coaching position he is qualified for.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post

2. Rex will get one more year, watch the offense fail next year (because it's inconceivable they'll fix that mess in 1 offseason) and get canned this time next year.

This is what I don't get. If I were Rex, no way I would coach under these circumstances. It's a no win situation.

In his shoes (a frightening prospect for me), I'd resign and make my money on TV or coaching another team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex has two years left on his contract. Woody has publicly support Rex Ryan. It is obvious Ryan is totally committed to making the Jets a SB team. He doesn't want to coach any place else. The guy will be hear for 2 years minimum IMO.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    This is what I don't get. If I were Rex, no way I would coach under these circumstances. It's a no win situation.

In his shoes (a frightening prospect for me), I'd resign and make my money on TV or coaching another team.
    that's why i don't understand why Rex is sticking around. The writing is on the wall.

He basically has to make the playoffs next year to save his job. And if you looked at our opponents in 2013 (NFC South/AFC North), I see another 4-6 win season with our current QB situation.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

While it's very unlikely, he could essentially prove he's worthy in the New GM's eyes by the team over performing next year, and thus save his job that way.

That's still a less than ideal scenario for Rex, but he doesn't have much else of a chance.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

He won't resign and give up 6million guaranteed, it is possible he may increase his buffoon act in hopes that woody will fire him

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

In his shoes (a frightening prospect for me), I'd resign and make my money on TV or coaching another team
    Maybe that is part of Woody's plan? It gets him out of $6M+

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    He won't resign and give up 6million guaranteed, it is possible he may increase his buffoon act in hopes that woody will fire him
    LOL...Well there is that..And it wouldn't require much doing on his part...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

You would walk out on 6 million??

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's why i don't understand why Rex is sticking around. The writing is on the wall.

He basically has to make the playoffs next year to save his job. And if you looked at our opponents in 2013 (NFC South/AFC North), I see another 4-6 win season with our current QB situation.
    $6M+ reasons.......

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking IS REX GETTING THE FOOT... ER, BOOT.?

--ONE more possiblity- Rex 2013 team is unprepared as usual- we go 0-3. And Rex gets canned after 3 games; our new OC Ken Whisenhunt is named
    acting Head Coach for remainder of season.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

There's Zero chance you (or anyone else on this board) would leave $6MM on the table by resigning.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the media smell blood. this isn't just about Rex Ryan. the Jets Franchise is a bloody carcass.

Negative Headlines, PSL's, Tebow, Sanchez, McElroy, Tannebaum's drafts and contracts, the losing record this year, staff implosions, job status uncertainties

it's almost unfair to put RR out there again. the whole organization has thrown up the white flag. they surrender. they're boycotting the questions that they know are coming.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    --ONE more possiblity- Rex 2013 team is unprepared as usual- we go 0-3. And Rex gets canned after 3 games; our new OC Ken Whisenhunt is named
    acting Head Coach for remainder of season.
    Good lord. There's nothing that derails a season more than firing a HC within a season. I would hope Woody is smart enough to either fire Rex now or let next season ride and see where the team is at in Jan '14. Then make a decision.

As far as Whisenhunt goes, he's still getting HC interest...especially from Buffalo.