Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling it now. Rex is still getting canned.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Be careful.

Girardi was very complimentary.

Girardi is a personal friend of Ryan, invited Mark Sanchez over for sliding lessons.

The Lasorda revelation is that he's alive; I thought he died years ago.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I think since it has been reported by several sources that the Jets have reached out to the following candidates:

Ross (NYG)
    Gamble (SF)
    Caldwell (Atl) and
    Heckert (ex-Cleveland)

That we can assume they are doing their due dilligence to find the best candidate. When you say a "yes man" who would the new GM have to say yes to? Woody knows very little about the football ops and he has never given anyone the impression that he does.

I credit Woody from being proactive. The Leon Hess Jets would have waited for the bottom to drop out (at least one more season) which would have allowed Tanny and Rex to make a number of short-sighted desperate moves setting the organization back another season or two.

Woody has done exactly what he should have done. Hiring the firm to do the search has given Woody at least three of the up and coming hot shot executives that will be GMs either this year or in the near future.

If the Jets come away with Ross, Gamble, or Caldwell I think we will have a bright future and the adversity that the organization will have to go through in 2013 will be a lot easier to deal with.
    I agree in that I do give Johnson credit for taking this step. He's not qualified to make the decision and at least he recognizes that.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I did not say they were synonyms.

What I said was for the purpose of my post you can substitute them bc I believe both of them to be fair opinions. I acknowledge that I said "could" when you said "would".

Stop with the technicalities.
    LOL, ok, I'll stop exposing your response for the agenda riddled stupidity that it was...

Rookie
    Here is a little insite on possible Rex future.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articl...nd-761338.html

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    LOL, ok, I'll stop exposing your response for the agenda riddled stupidity that it was...
    Feel free to expose all you want.

But heed your own advice and read

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Hey, Woody Johnson said "Rex Ryan is my coach." and there's a 90% chance that that's-that and we're stuck with the Circus for another year.

But something smells fishy. Owners go out of their way not to have lame duck head coaches, so setting one up for that (and supposedly someone that he 'loves') makes zero sense.

SAR I
    I agree. Everything is on hold until the GM is hired.

Rookie
    Lets say the new GM fires Rex. Who, in all seriousness do we look at for Head coach. Granted GM would hire, but who would be a great fit for this team.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I agree in that I do give Johnson credit for taking this step. He's not qualified to make the decision and at least he recognizes that.
    I think Woody is just trying to make us on the fence fans happy and interviewing the best folks even though he knows they won't sign here, Hell maybe that's the plan you know a top GM won't accept with Rex so if the top 5 guys refuse Woody can say he tried to get them, but he gets off not having to pay a Top 5 GM

Jets Insider VIP
    Bill Cowher was a baseball manager?

Which team?
    Did you read the same article I did?

Cowher said he's a great defensive mind. I've continually said that Ryan is an excellent defensive coach. Who said they respected him as a head coach? Even then. In January of 2011, Ryan was the toast of the town. My how the mighty have fallen.

What's happened since then to make Bill Cowher say last week that the Jets are completely dysfunctional. He wasn't touting Rex Ryan 2 years later. There's no one out there saying Rex Ryan is a respected head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bongi View Post
    Lets say the new GM fires Rex. Who, in all seriousness do we look at for Head coach. Granted GM would hire, but who would be a great fit for this team.
    It really depends on who ends up being the GM.

He could bring someone over from the current franchise he's with (ie Gamble could bring DL coach Tomusula over...there's a rumor going around they're a pkg deal) or perhaps another candidate he's familiar/friends with.

Did you read the same article I did?

Cowher said he's a great defensive mind. I've continually said that Ryan is an excellent defensive coach. Who said they respected him as a head coach? Even then. In January of 2011, Ryan was the toast of the town. My how the mighty have fallen.

What's happened since then to make Bill Cowher say last week that the Jets are completely dysfunctional. He wasn't touting Rex Ryan 2 years later. There's no one out there saying Rex Ryan is a respected head coach.
    He said that Ryan's greatest strength was how he gets his players to play for him, that was also in the article.

I'm glad you actually read it though past the first page, because until I brought up Cowher, you thought that it only had comments made by baseball managers... You're welcome.

Hall Of Fame
    He said that Ryan's greatest strength was how he gets his players to play for him, that was also in the article.

I'm glad you actually read it though past the first page, because until I brought up Cowher, you thought that it only had comments made by baseball managers... You're welcome.
    Not for nothing but I am not sure that is a great compliment. At the very least a HC should get his players to play hard.

Herm did that.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

Woody Johnson's actions speak volumes if you bother to listen. Name me one other head coach who was treated so disdainfully by his owner at the end of a season like this. Can you imagine another owner doing this to a coach he supposedly loves? Something's up.

SAR I
    Bah.

What's up is Woody's avoiding the media to avoid the media, not Rex.

Woody canceled the presser to stifle the writers and leave them nothing to distort and stir more sh!t.

Who can blame him?

Jets Insider VIP

Nobody in their right mind today would publicly come out and say they respect Ryan as a HC. A guy who admitted he lost the pulse of the team last year and followed that up with a season in which it appeared he was no more prepared than he was last year. Cowher's "dysfunctional" comment last week summed up what everyone is thinking. Ryan may have looked the part in January of 2011 but he certainly has taken a major fall from grace since.

All League
    Nobody in their right mind today would publicly come out and say they respect Ryan as a HC. A guy who admitted he lost the pulse of the team last year and followed that up with a season in which it appeared he was no more prepared than he was last year. Cowher's "dysfunctional" comment last week summed up what everyone is thinking. Ryan may have looked the part in January of 2011 but he certainly has taken a major fall from grace since.
    The players were behind Ryan’s return as head coach and they expressed sadness about Tannenbaum getting fired.

Revis went down with a season-ending knee injury the third game* and watched the team unravel from afar as he was rehabbing. He saw the fits and starts, the sputtering offense, the Tebow turmoil. It wasn’t pretty. Still, he is in favor of Ryan returning for next season.

“Yeah. I think Rex is a great coach,’’ Revis said. “Just looking outside in, we just need to evaluate this offseason and try to get some playmakers in here to come out and make plays.’’

Though Tannenbaum was let go after the team's second consecutive season of not making the playoffs, Rex Ryan has been retained, a decision the players supported.

"I always had a feeling Rex would be back, just because of the type of coach he is, the way the guys in this locker room respect him," said defensive lineman Mike DeVito. "He's a great person to be around, and a guy you want to go out and play for. I think everybody kind of recognizes that. That's an intangible quality that's great to have."

"When you have everybody in this locker room buying in and rallying around one guy, it's something that makes for a successful team," DeVito added.

All League

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bongi View Post
    I don't think of it as "who is a great fit for this team" because about 80% percent of the current roster will be gone 18 months from now. I think if you look at each candidate, there are different possibilities.

If its Gamble, it could be Roman or the SF DC.

Caldwell: Koetter or Mike Nolan

Ross: Perry Fewell or at least someone who is a disciplined hard ass like Todd Haley orperhaps even Mike Nolan

If its Heckert, it could be Shurmur.

Of course there seems to be an increasing trend that ST coaches have better potential as HCs because they are used to working with many different players at various positions. Look at how successful Harbaugh has been in Balt.

Plus, look at some of the interview requests from Chi. I think they have contacted three teams to speak to their ST coaches.

Any of these could be possibilities next week or a year from now.

Banned
    I agree with the OP. I think the new GM will evaluate Rex and determine his fate. That's why Rex has not been allowed to address the media.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 01-02-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post

So your argument is that his own players respect him.

The guys he rarely holds accountable, shows puzzling loyalty towards, and gloats about publicly.

In other news, the sun will rise in the East tomorrow.

6 million reasons why Rex will be back

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Bah.

What's up is Woody's avoiding the media to avoid the media, not Rex.

Woody canceled the presser to stifle the writers and leave them nothing to distort and stir more sh!t.

Who can blame him?
    Rex Ryan was brought here to be the anti-Mangini. A guy who is open and honest to the media and the fans.

When we want him to shut up, he can't help himself, won't stop talking.

Now that we need our leadership to speak to us and tell us what's what after a very long and frustrating season, dead silence.

There are 12 teams in the playoffs whose seasons are continuing.

There are 19 teams that aren't going to the playoffs and they all had their head coaches and owners give final press conferences, sum up their seasons, explain their future direction, answer questions that fans deserve answers to.

There is 1 team that isn't going to the playoffs and hasn't said anything.

You may not find that odd. I do.

SAR I