Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 280

Thread: Calling it now. Rex is still getting canned.

  1. #121
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,648
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Rex is done. He is a lame duck.
    This.

    I think what we are witnessing here is a Herman Edwards type stare-down.

    If you're Rex Ryan, you know that you are a dead man walking. You can win 10 games next season and still be Lovie Smith under a new GM. You're going to work hard for nothing, your reputation is going to take an even bigger hit, there's nothing you can do about it but stick it out and get the money.

    If you are Woody Johnson, you aren't going to let a malcontent play the 'fire me please' game because then you're going to owe him two years severance for no reason. You could fire him tomorrow and find out that he's wanted by a media desperate team like Jacksonville or San Diego.

    The evidence here is substantial if one looks at it from this perspective. The leaks, the locker room dissension, the story about Rex wanting out, the retraction, Woody Johnson not showing up at the Buffalo game, the canceled press conference, the canned statement from Woody Johnson instead of a joint press conference with his head coach showing support.

    SAR I

  2. #122
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Never happened!

    New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick, left, congratulates New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, right, after the Jets beat the Patriots 28-21 in an NFL divisional playoff football game in Foxborough, Mass., Sunday, Jan. 16, 2011. AP Photo/Charles Krupa


    Yes because that's what we were talking about.

  3. #123
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    This.

    I think what we are witnessing here is a Herman Edwards type stare-down.

    If you're Rex Ryan, you know that you are a dead man walking. You can win 10 games next season and still be Lovie Smith under a new GM. You're going to work hard for nothing, your reputation is going to take an even bigger hit, there's nothing you can do about it but stick it out and get the money.

    If you are Woody Johnson, you aren't going to let a malcontent play the 'fire me please' game because then you're going to owe him two years severance for no reason. You could fire him tomorrow and find out that he's wanted by a media desperate team like Jacksonville or San Diego.

    The evidence here is substantial if one looks at it from this perspective. The leaks, the locker room dissension, the story about Rex wanting out, the retraction, Woody Johnson not showing up at the Buffalo game, the canceled press conference, the canned statement from Woody Johnson instead of a joint press conference with his head coach showing support.

    SAR I
    good post.

    And it fully supports my earlier post that Rex will get fired at some point in the near future or next offseason.

    The bottom line is...he's done. It's just a matter of when it happens.

  4. #124
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Super Insider Triple VIP Island
    Posts
    7,724
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    You don't think Sanchez should've been pulled earlier in the season?

    Christ...I hate Tebow, but he should've been given a chance to step up and earn his paycheck. Same goes for McElroy.

    C'mon...this isn't rocket science.
    Sure, going from the frying pan to the fire. Tebow showed his uselessness in the few snaps he got and McElroy lasted all of one game, a loss. Yeah sure, those would have been great moves.

  5. #125
    Lets get some better talent and give Rex a fair shot.I know we are not going anywhere anyway,but let's see if he can surprise us.Then make the change next year with a top heavy draft and a new coach to set us up.That's my plan.

  6. #126
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Un-Pleasantville
    Posts
    6,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    First of all, let's assume it was said. Telling someone he coached a great game doesn't necessarily translate into "I respect you as a head coach." Even a blind squirrel finds a nut....

    Secondly, I'm still looking for anything on this great interwbz where anyone, coach, GM, FO personnel member, anyone has stated publicly that they respect Rex Ryan as a head coach.

    Please provide me a link to that statement and I won't say another word on that topic.

    Here ya go....

    Coaching giants impressed by Jets' commander

    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...uxXQHusec38J/0

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Sure, going from the frying pan to the fire. Tebow showed his uselessness in the few snaps he got and McElroy lasted all of one game, a loss. Yeah sure, those would have been great moves.
    so the better alternative was to leave Sanchez in there and lose anyway.

    ok.

  8. #128
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,648
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    good post.

    And it fully supports my earlier post that Rex will get fired at some point in the near future or next offseason.

    The bottom line is...he's done. It's just a matter of when it happens.
    Yes.

    Rex is a dead man, he's already "fired", his ghost is just wandering the halls of Florham Park. No new GM is going to want Rex Ryan for a number of reasons, the two biggest are blatantly obvious:

    1. Horrible Strategy - you can't win in today's NFL with the '59 Packers offense and the '85 Bears defense as your template.

    2. Nurturing Mentor - a rebuilding team needs young talent to thrive and a head coach to get them to play beyond their abilities.

    I could go on and on about the circus stuff but that's already been covered to death. A new GM won't want any part of that nonsense soiling his own reputation.

    If Rex does indeed coach next season, it's a sign that the Jets are so beyond hope that it doesn't matter who our head coach is. Means that like this year, next year is a waste, just a way to jettison dead contracts and lousy players and get ready for 2014 as Year 1 of the 3 year rebuild.

    SAR I

  9. #129
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Here ya go....

    Coaching giants impressed by Jets' commander

    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...uxXQHusec38J/0
    Ouch.

    Pacquiao'd


  10. #130
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Rex Ryan WILL be the HC of the NYJ in 2013. He's not only the best candidate for the job, but he's an established, accomplished HC on top of that.

    Anyone who is capable of looking at the big picture and not being stuck on stupid, irrelevant sh*t like foot fetishes knows that Rex Ryan deserves another season to try and get things straightened out.
    Rex Ryan is GONE.

    If what you say is true, if Woody Johnson is a huge Rex Ryan fan, he'd have had a joint press conference emphatically showing support for his head coach, telling us all how he is looking forward to Rex participating in the GM search.

    Instead, Woody cancels Rex Ryan's presser, puts out a canned statement, and puts a gag order on him.

    If Rex Ryan is our coach next year, it's not a sign that he's a great coach who's right for the job. Instead, its a sign that 2013 is a wasted year, a year of cleaning up dead cap money and terrible players, a year of letting our GM focus all his time on player acquisition and none of his time on the 2-14 mess of a team. Rex Ryan gets to have his reputation pushed even further under ground, the new GM gets a year to strategize, a new coach is announced a year from today.

    Rex is GONE. It's already happened. Hopefully Woody's game forces Rex to resign so we don't have to pay him- though it'll be fun to watch him tortured for a year as punishment for what he did to our team.

    SAR I

  11. #131
    Woody's doing the right thing, for once.

    He's gonna let his new GM have final say on the coaching staff, Rex included.

  12. #132
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,941
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Instead, its a sign that 2013 is a wasted year.....a year of letting our GM focus all his time on player acquisition and none of his time on the 2-14 mess of a team.
    Nice to see you making a formal prediction in advance SAR.

    2-14 if Rex stays for 2013, per SAR I.

    Got it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Woody's doing the right thing, for once.

    He's gonna let his new GM have final say on the coaching staff, Rex included.
    Exactly. As it should be.

    New GM wants Rex, great, he stays. If he doesn't, fine, he's gone. Thats how it works in the NFL.

  13. #133
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,928
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    This.

    I think what we are witnessing here is a Herman Edwards type stare-down.

    If you're Rex Ryan, you know that you are a dead man walking. You can win 10 games next season and still be Lovie Smith under a new GM. You're going to work hard for nothing, your reputation is going to take an even bigger hit, there's nothing you can do about it but stick it out and get the money.

    If you are Woody Johnson, you aren't going to let a malcontent play the 'fire me please' game because then you're going to owe him two years severance for no reason. You could fire him tomorrow and find out that he's wanted by a media desperate team like Jacksonville or San Diego.

    The evidence here is substantial if one looks at it from this perspective. The leaks, the locker room dissension, the story about Rex wanting out, the retraction, Woody Johnson not showing up at the Buffalo game, the canceled press conference, the canned statement from Woody Johnson instead of a joint press conference with his head coach showing support.

    SAR I
    To steal Adam Schein's line, Rex has been neutered. He will have all new coordinators, new GM, and a team that is in a cap clearing rebuilding mode. For him to have next year to "prove" himself is basically just a one year babysitting job for Rex. He will get paid very well to be a care taker for the next HC. Woody can then say, "I gave him 2 GMs, 3 offensive coordinators, 2 defensive coordinators and 5 years". Plenty of time and resources for a HC in the NFL.

  14. #134
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,941
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Woody can then say, "I gave him 2 GMs, 3 offensive coordinators, 2 defensive coordinators and 5 years". Plenty of time and resources for a HC in the NFL.
    Missing the one vital piece every winner needs.....a QB.

    If Mark Sanchez is the #1 QB, it won't matter who the Head Coach or GM is. Mark Sanchez is the worst QB of the past 4 years, and there is no evidence to inspire faith he can be anything better.

    It'll suck to see Rex fired, some new name brought in, and lose just the same with Sanchez leading the league again in turnovers.

    If we're to clean house, clean it all. No Tanny. No Rex. Sure as **** better be no ****ing Sanchez either.

  15. #135
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,928
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Missing the one vital piece every winner needs.....a QB.

    If Mark Sanchez is the #1 QB, it won't matter who the Head Coach or GM is. Mark Sanchez is the worst QB of the past 4 years, and there is no evidence to inspire faith he can be anything better.

    It'll suck to see Rex fired, some new name brought in, and lose just the same with Sanchez leading the league again in turnovers.

    If we're to clean house, clean it all. No Tanny. No Rex. Sure as **** better be no ****ing Sanchez either.
    Sanchez may be gone next year, but he will definitely be gone in 2014. So in essence the new GM got a year head start on the new HC and QB.

  16. #136
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    39,648
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Nice to see you making a formal prediction in advance SAR.

    2-14 if Rex stays for 2013, per SAR I.

    Got it.
    There once was a quality poster named Warfish who was popular because he posted good information and well-thought opinions.

    He became a mod, and a very fair and rational one too.

    Then he disappeared for two years.

    Then he re-appeared as a nasty, angry curmudgeon hiding in the Hangar cave.

    Now he is attempting to re-join Jets Insider society on the Landing Strip but instead of contributing some of that good-ol' well-thought opinions he engages in personal attacks, poster critiques, logic traps, straw-manning, and spell checking for reasons unknown.

    SAR would like no part of any of these Warfishes. SAR never liked Sybil. SAR would appreciate the current Angry Warfish use the 'ignore' button just like Mod Warfish would have recommended years ago when he was a good person.

    SAR I

  17. #137
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    624
    We are in cap hell so it's time to gamble. If you nay sayers are right and Rex is babysitting for 2013 then in order to give him a fighting chance we should:

    1. Go all skill players in the draft 1-3 rounds.

    2. Move back to mid-late 1st and take Murray with the extra 2nd.

    Murray can't be worse than the 2012 Sanchez and will give us hope at QB w/o a crippling cap hit.

  18. #138
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    There once was a quality poster named Warfish who was popular because he posted good information and well-thought opinions.

    He became a mod, and a very fair and rational one too.

    Then he disappeared for two years.

    Then he re-appeared as a nasty, angry curmudgeon hiding in the Hangar cave.

    Now he is attempting to re-join Jets Insider society on the Landing Strip but instead of contributing some of that good-ol' well-thought opinions he engages in personal attacks, poster critiques, logic traps, straw-manning, and spell checking for reasons unknown.

    SAR would like no part of any of these Warfishes. SAR never liked Sybil. SAR would appreciate the current Angry Warfish use the 'ignore' button just like Mod Warfish would have recommended years ago when he was a good person.

    SAR I

  19. #139
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    It just doesn't make any sense to go through all of this trouble finding a new GM, hiring a consulting firm and everything, if you're just going to make the most important decision for him.

    Allow the GM to select his own staff and players. If that guy wants to keep Rex, that's fine with me. But let the guy make the football decisions -- that's what he's being hired for.

    I don't think Woody is stupid, so he has to recognize this is the right thing to do.

  20. #140
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    Here ya go....

    Coaching giants impressed by Jets' commander

    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/...uxXQHusec38J/0
    Wonder what they would say now.

    And not for nothing but those are some of the most generic compliments one can give.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us