Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Calling it now. Rex is still getting canned.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Not for nothing but I am not sure that is a great compliment. At the very least a HC should get his players to play hard.

Herm did that.
    Umm, no he didn't, they quit on him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Umm, no he didn't, they quit on him.
    When? That's simply not true, the players never quit on Herm. The talent on the team may have been garbage, having been ravaged by injuries (save for when they signed Vinny), and his game planning and game day management were sub par, but the team actually always did give him a good effort.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Nobody in their right mind today would publicly come out and say they respect Ryan as a HC. A guy who admitted he lost the pulse of the team last year and followed that up with a season in which it appeared he was no more prepared than he was last year. Cowher's "dysfunctional" comment last week summed up what everyone is thinking. Ryan may have looked the part in January of 2011 but he certainly has taken a major fall from grace since.

Uh huh, we all know Cowher jumped on the media train to call the Jets dysfunctional, it was a shocking turn of events, it was the flavor of the week, we all get it.

You continue to buy into the media rhetoric that drives your agenda

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    When? That's simply not true, the players never quit on Herm. The team on the talent may have been garbage in the last year after the team got ravaged by injuries (save for when they signed Vinny), and Herm's game planning and game day management were sub par, but the team actually always did give him a good effort.
    In Herms last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post

Quote:
    The players were behind Ryan’s return as head coach and they expressed sadness about Tannenbaum getting fired.

Revis went down with a season-ending knee injury the third game* and watched the team unravel from afar as he was rehabbing. He saw the fits and starts, the sputtering offense, the Tebow turmoil. It wasn’t pretty. Still, he is in favor of Ryan returning for next season.

“Yeah. I think Rex is a great coach,’’ Revis said. “Just looking outside in, we just need to evaluate this offseason and try to get some playmakers in here to come out and make plays.’’

Quote:
    Though Tannenbaum was let go after the team's second consecutive season of not making the playoffs, Rex Ryan has been retained, a decision the players supported.

"I always had a feeling Rex would be back, just because of the type of coach he is, the way the guys in this locker room respect him," said defensive lineman Mike DeVito. "He's a great person to be around, and a guy you want to go out and play for. I think everybody kind of recognizes that. That's an intangible quality that's great to have."

"When you have everybody in this locker room buying in and rallying around one guy, it's something that makes for a successful team," DeVito added.
    Stay down.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Joe View Post
    6 million reasons why Rex will be back
    Ah, $6 million reasons why Rex Ryan won't quit. And $6 million reasons why Woody Johnson won't fire him.

Making an employee miserable is a great way to force you to quit. Doing a lousy job is a great way to force a boss to fire you.

This looks, feels, and smells like a Herman Edwards "I want out I won't let you go" situation. We've been here before. Ryan is seemingly begging to be fired, Johnson is seemingly treating him like crap so he quits.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    In Herms last year.
    The team got decimated by injury, and he sucked as a game day coach, but the team never put forth a bad effort, so that's just revisionist history, plain and simple.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Uh huh, we all know Cowher jumped on the media train to call the Jets dysfunctional, it was a shocking turn of events, it was the flavor of the week, we all get it.

You continue to buy into the media rhetoric that drives your agenda
    Uhh. I don't need the media to tell me something I can easily see with my own eyes.

Hearing Cowher say it just confirmed what I already felt.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Ah, $6 million reasons why Rex Ryan won't quit. And $6 million reasons why Woody Johnson won't fire him.

Making an employee miserable is a great way to force you to quit. Doing a lousy job is a great way to force a boss to fire you.

This looks, feels, and smells like a Herman Edwards "I want out I won't let you go" situation. We've been here before.

SAR I

from July 30th, 2010

New York Jets extend Rex Ryan's contract through 2014

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UOPC6Xf4LPA

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetfan16 View Post
    The team got decimated by injury, and he sucked as a game day coach, but the team never put forth a bad effort, so that's just revisionist history, plain and simple.
    No it isn't, Herm's team in his final year was a real dysfunction, on top of that, Herm had no clue of what he was doing. Management of the game, hiring a coach to help him manage the clock, some what to rip Rex and this Jets team for being dysfunctional? Nothing tops Herm's Jets team in his last two years and especially the last year.

What is revisionist history is forgetting all of that, and re-focusing back on Rex.

It is interesting you bring up the injury card. This year's Jets team was much worse, yet, nobody wants to even touch that factor...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    To get rid of Rex and Sanchez with their guaranteed money is about $14 Mil

That's too much to swallow

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uhh. I don't need the media to tell me something I can easily see with my own eyes.

Hearing Cowher say it just confirmed what I already felt.
    Uh huh, sure it did.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway Joe View Post
    from July 30th, 2010

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UOPC6Xf4LPA
    From July 30th, 2010

New York Jets extend Mike Tannenbaum's contract through 2014

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...is-payday-too/

Your point?

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No it isn't, Herm's team in his final year was a real dysfunction, on top of that, Herm had no clue of what he was doing. Management of the game, hiring a coach to help him manage the clock, some what to rip Rex and this Jets team for being dysfunctional? Nothing tops Herm's Jets team in his last two years and especially the last year.

What is revisionist history is forgetting all of that, and re-focusing back on Rex.
    Herm's inability as a gameplanner and the fact that he was a god awful game day coach have no correlation with how hard they played for him. Separate the two. Overall, Herm was a horrible head coach, but he always seemed to get a good effort...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    From July 30th, 2010

New York Jets extend Mike Tannenbaum's contract through 2014

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...is-payday-too/

Your point?

SAR I

wrong link above - should have been the link below

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UOPExHf4LPA

IMO
    To get rid of Rex and Sanchez with their guaranteed money is about $14 Mil

That's too much to swallow
    Last edited by Broadway Joe; 01-02-2013 at 12:26 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Herm's team in his final year was a real dysfunction, on top of that, Herm had no clue of what he was doing.
    HA HA HA HA HA! HO HO HO HO HO!

Now you've done it. Now I've got to dig up all your Rah Rah Herm posts from January 2006 where in no way, shape, or form did you call your beloved leader, Herman Edwards "dysfunctional" or "clueless".

This is going to be gooooooood. You're going to wish you took that 1 year ban for the 12 game promise.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    HA HA HA HA HA! HO HO HO HO HO!

Now you've done it. Now I've got to dig up all your Rah Rah Herm posts from January 2006 where in no way, shape, or form did you call your beloved leader, Herman Edwards "dysfunctional" or "clueless".

This is going to be gooooooood. You're going to wish you took that 1 year ban for the 12 game promise.

SAR I
    Are you declaring SARwar on Ray Ray?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So your argument is that his own players respect him.

The guys he rarely holds accountable, shows puzzling loyalty towards, and gloats about publicly.

In other news, the sun will rise in the East tomorrow.
    Oh, my bad.

I should've known you were referring to media personalities that never played for or worked with Rex.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex Ryan was brought here to be the anti-Mangini. A guy who is open and honest to the media and the fans.

When we want him to shut up, he can't help himself, won't stop talking.

Now that we need our leadership to speak to us and tell us what's what after a very long and frustrating season, dead silence.

There are 12 teams in the playoffs whose seasons are continuing.

There are 19 teams that aren't going to the playoffs and they all had their head coaches and owners give final press conferences, sum up their seasons, explain their future direction, answer questions that fans deserve answers to.

There is 1 team that isn't going to the playoffs and hasn't said anything.

You may not find that odd. I do.

SAR I
    Patience.

Maybe after the recent leaks and distorted facts Woody feels like starving the blood-thirsty NY media.

Maybe they're burned out, emotionally drained.

You make it sound like Woody and Rex have something to celebrate after tanking the last 3 and finishing 6-10.

Chill out.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pcola View Post
    I think since it has been reported by several sources that the Jets have reached out to the following candidates:

Ross (NYG)
    Gamble (SF)
    Caldwell (Atl) and
    Heckert (ex-Cleveland)

That we can assume they are doing their due dilligence to find the best candidate. When you say a "yes man" who would the new GM have to say yes to? Woody knows very little about the football ops and he has never given anyone the impression that he does.

I credit Woody from being proactive. The Leon Hess Jets would have waited for the bottom to drop out (at least one more season) which would have allowed Tanny and Rex to make a number of short-sighted desperate moves setting the organization back another season or two.

Woody has done exactly what he should have done. Hiring the firm to do the search has given Woody at least three of the up and coming hot shot executives that will be GMs either this year or in the near future.

If the Jets come away with Ross, Gamble, or Caldwell I think we will have a bright future and the adversity that the organization will have to go through in 2013 will be a lot easier to deal with.
    I agree - Woody's doing exactly what he should be doing as an owner. He's just a fan, like we are, but with more money. And maybe he knows as much about football as some of the best posters on our forum. Regardless, he's not an expert, and when you're not an expert the smartest thing you can do is to hire someone who is to advise you.

I'm sure Woody doesn't want a Yes Man as GM or HC. He'd want someone who will give him an honest and impartial assessment. If Woody says to the GM "Hey, Let's Sign Bret Favre", any good GM or HC would tell him the pros and cons ... especially the cons ... and advise Woody on the best decision for the team. Frankly, I wouldn't hire a GM or HC who is too timid to tell me the truth or stop me from making a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    I'm not advocating Tebow, but saying the alternative isn't any better without the chance being given is incredibly ignorant.
    +100000000, especially when it wouldn't have hurt the season for him to start the last 1 or 2 games. Since a bunch of people are about to say "but there was no time to redo the offense for Tebow", let me stop you right there. He could've been thrown into the traditional offense - sink or swim.

After all, that's why Ryan had him active as the only backup QB for most of the season. In "Ribgate 2: The Sequel", Rex explained that he had Tebow active instead of McElroy because Tebow knew the plays and had the reps that week, while McElroy had not. Rex said that Tebow would have played the "traditional offense".