Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 96

Thread: Ian O'Connor: Rex Ryan should have gotten the boot too...

  1. #21
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,640
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    How does he or any of us know how much influnce Ryan had on team's signings/hires?

    Tebow and Sparano? It's already been reported Ryan didn't initiate either move, and it was clear he wasn't completely on board with the Tebow move, and BOTH moves were the biggest disasters of this team this year.
    Then if he did not stand up to whoever wanted TEBOW, the shame is on him! Its like when Schotty was "forced" upon him when he became our headcase err headcoach! BS. This guy is the headmaster of our traveling circus. Its time Woody grew a pair and dumped him along with the scapegoat and Sanchez. Crazy is defined as when you keep doing the same BS over and over and expect different results!

    Tannybomb failed to keep the headcase in check and so he is gone! The headcase still thinks Suckchez gives him the best chance to win after 52 turnovers in the past two seasons! 8 and 8 or 7 and 9 here we come!

    Only the Jest! Yes Jest!

  2. #22
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,939
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    And none of us, including the hack media, can qualify exactly who should be at fault. Ryan coaches the players that are provided to him, and I'm pretty sure THAT was the biggest problem this past season, the talent on the field, not the coach coaching it.

    The statement "Ryan's program is out of control" is horse****, and complete media crap. The "circus" atmosphere, mostly created by Tebow and then the media, none of that is on Ryan.

    It's already been proven last year was overblown in terms of the locker room, Schotty lost his offense, Ryan deferred to Schotty with everything the offense was doing. It is debatable whether this is right or not, most defensive coaches shouldn't be involved with the offense, but I would agree, they need to have control over the entire team.

    Sure, Ryan has his warts, and he needs to learn from a season like this last one, and the one before it, most of them do, but there is NO questioning the heart the team CONTINUED to play with despite the talent and mistakes being made on the field by that talent, and players that were perhaps ruined, mostly on offense, by a lacking offensive coaching staff. THAT is not on Ryan.

    All I continue to read is how players will not want to stay on as Jets if Ryan is removed, Ryan very much had the locker room this past year, I don't think this can be disputed, look no further than the comments made by Revis yesterday, who is the most straight forward player there is on the team, he tells it like it is, his comments on Ryan and even wanting to remain with the team were rather telling IMO.
    Ray, I completely disagree with the bolded part. I believe Ryan had a big say on the talent that Tannenbaum provided, as the article states. And the way he handled the Sanchez/Tebow situation was abhorable IMO. Not just in general, but also on the field. You like to hate on the media but I think you blame them for more than they deserve. Probably because you don't like what they say as it doesn't fit your position.

    Of course players want to stay with Ryan. He's loyal, to a fault. Eric Smith is a perfect example. I can't imagine that there is a successful HC out there who is as lax as Ryan is in holding his players accountable. Who publicly declares how great his players are as much as Ryan does? And has that led to better play? He even does this when players are negotaiting new contracts. Tannenbaum must have **** his pants when Ryan was basically declaring Revis a CB amongst Gods while he was re-negotiating a deal with him.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    suggestion


    can the server be filtered to automatically send ANY threads or posts using the five letter word "Tebow" to the JI garbage dump


    thankfully this error has concluded and the worst quarterback in NFL history is safely in the Jets' rear view mirror forever

    so long and good riddance

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,939
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Bingo!

    It's also hilarious to me how a hack journalist tries to make a case for somebody to be fired. This part of journalism disgusts me.
    He's stating facts. What's wrong with that? The facts don't fit your thinking. That's what's wrong with it. What evidence do you have that Ian O'Connor has a motive for wanting Ryan fired? If anything, the media love having Ryan around. He's a sure fire headline on a weekly basis. The stories almost write themselves.

  5. #25
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    29,351
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Little Ian going out on a limb.
    He thinks he has to be chippy; the only time I read this guy's work is regarding amateur athletes. He's trite, cliched and spouts off with a bizarre indignation that seems to dwarf the topic/subject.

    I prefer Bob Glauber; what kind of choice is that?

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,939
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Rex did not get Brett Farve. He had nothing to do with the Pennington years. History demanded that we win now. Rex was a breath of fresh air and took us to a few playoffs. He built us a defense that was very good by getting top FAs. Now the tradeoff is those play makers have aged and lost several steps exponentially.
    We build a probowl OL but when Woody left th OL, Sanchez took a beating and has a lower back injury and shoulder problems. It took too long to get Wayne Hunter replaced. Sanchez became a clutz and skittish as a result.

    Is this all on Rex ? I see the time to make some tweaks but we can't tweak properly because of players favorable contracts. Cap hell they call it.

    I want Rex to stay and I want his above average D. Next year is a let's see what happens year. Maybe we keep or sign key players based on next year.
    No one questions that Rex is an excellent defensive coach. No one.

    But that doesn't mean he's an excellent or even a good HC.

    Some people are meant to be coordinators and some people are meant to be HC's. Rex was meant to be a coordinator. And that's okay.

  7. #27
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Naples FL
    Posts
    42,608
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    No one questions that Rex is an excellent defensive coach. No one.

    But that doesn't mean he's an excellent or even a good HC.

    Some people are meant to be coordinators and some people are meant to be HC's. Rex was meant to be a coordinator. And that's okay.
    In what year was BB considered a great HC?? Before or after Brady?? I know with the Browns he wasn't considered Great by any stretch.. In 2000 with Bledsoe he was 5-11.. And I consider both BB and Rex as excellent DC's..

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,118
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    The "circus" atmosphere, mostly created by Tebow and then the media, none of that is on Ryan.
    Ensuing circus from Rex Ryan guaranteeing a Superbowl victory to the media? Also not on Ryan. (That was mostly on Schotty, partially on Tebow.)

  9. #29
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    I want Rex to stay and I want his above average D.
    I agree. People who want to fire everybody seem to just assume with a new coach the defense won't miss a beat and will be just as good. Considering the Jets defense talent level had a linebacking corps completely useless, no Revis, and received no help at all from the offense and special teams all year long, I thought the defense's performance was better than the sum of its parts.

    Sanchez, Tebow, McElroy is one of the worst QB trios in the NFL. Put the best coach in the NFL on the Jets this year and I can''t see them going better than 8-8.

    There is a reason why Tannenbaum got fired. The talent on the roster is mediocre at best and in a QB driven league Tannenbaum never provided Rex with even an adequate, medicore QB in his four years here. (Sanchez, Tebow, Brunell, McElroy, O'Connell, Ainge, Clemens)

    Rex has his flaws and he doesn't get a lifetime pass just because of his first two years here, but he should be here next year.

  10. #30
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    He's stating facts. What's wrong with that?
    Proof? We need proof.

    Article is 90+% opinion, what evidence do YOU have to prove otherwise?

  11. #31
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Morristown NJ
    Posts
    325
    Post Thanks / Like
    O'Connor is just looking for more $$$.... That's it....

    Reporters have done nothing but tried to cash in writing circus stories about the the Jets ridiculous season and here's a tool doing the same again writing radical extreme stories to make people gasp and take a look. Not professional and such a tool...

  12. #32
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    One hour. from MetLife
    Posts
    21,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    No one questions that Rex is an excellent defensive coach. No one.

    But that doesn't mean he's an excellent or even a good HC.

    Some people are meant to be coordinators and some people are meant to be HC's. Rex was meant to be a coordinator. And that's okay.
    Maybe. I see your point though. If you lose Rex you start over on both Offense and Defense. Draft Offense and lets see what happens.

  13. #33
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    830
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    Ensuing circus from Rex Ryan guaranteeing a Superbowl victory to the media? Also not on Ryan. (That was mostly on Schotty, partially on Tebow.)
    If Rex supporters aren't allowed to bring up two consecutive AFC title games without getting blasted with cries of "THAT WAS THE PAST! LOOK AT HIM NOW!", then I say to you with your outdated guarantees,

    That was the past. Look at him now.

    Rex has completely changed his media act. He doesn't boast. He doesn't make predictions. He doesn't make snippy comments at Belichick or the Patriots. And it kills the media because two years ago the stories wrote themselves. Now they have to spin and create stories to stay alive.. like this crap article written by O'Connor.

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Ray, I completely disagree with the bolded part. I believe Ryan had a big say on the talent that Tannenbaum provided, as the article states. And the way he handled the Sanchez/Tebow situation was abhorable IMO. Not just in general, but also on the field. You like to hate on the media but I think you blame them for more than they deserve. Probably because you don't like what they say as it doesn't fit your position.

    Of course players want to stay with Ryan. He's loyal, to a fault. Eric Smith is a perfect example. I can't imagine that there is a successful HC out there who is as lax as Ryan is in holding his players accountable. Who publicly declares how great his players are as much as Ryan does? And has that led to better play? He even does this when players are negotaiting new contracts. Tannenbaum must have **** his pants when Ryan was basically declaring Revis a CB amongst Gods while he was re-negotiating a deal with him.
    I'm not saying, nor can I refute that Ryan didn't have input, I just don't know the extent of that input. The insinuation in this thread and in the article is that Ryan had a lot of input, and I just don't see that.

    Not sure what you mean by my position with respect to the scumbags in the media and their agenda, I have no position, I'm just as pissed off as any other Jets fan on here, I want answers too, but I am NOT going to be influenced by the complete garbage that the media puts out, and I think this is a great fault for many fans here and everywhere. Too many allow the media influence their position as to what goes on with the team, I try to think further. Too much of what the media puts out doesn't add up, then of course, there is a fair share that they probably hit on, or make sense on. That's what I try to do, make sense of it all, the media has an agenda, I don't, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, so be it, it still has to make sense to me.

    Putting credence into a hack like O'Connor calling for the firing of Rex, is flat out disgusting, and his points are purely sensationalism. I also think he's wrong with how much influence Rex had on Tannenbaum's job. Tannenbaum fired his own friend in Eric Mangini, how much power could Rex have obtained over the guy who fired his friend to hire him?

    Sparano's addition to the staff because of Tannenbaum makes sense to me, Sparano is a Parcells guy, Parcells and Tannenbaum remain close, but too many want to blame Rex. See, blaming Rex doesn't make sense. Did Rex approve, did he vouch for Sparano? Of course he did, partly because its his job to do so, but also because he needed to buy in, and initially, he probably did. But he also didn't realize that Sparano at the time, just wasn't a good fit for this team, and whether it was Sparano or Cavanaugh, they both proceed to contribute to ruining Sanchez this year, on TOP of all the injuries, which ONCE again, TO ME, was the biggest reason for the season failure this year.

    The list goes on.

  15. #35
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B2 Bomber View Post
    O'Connor is just looking for more $$$.... That's it....

    Reporters have done nothing but tried to cash in writing circus stories about the the Jets ridiculous season and here's a tool doing the same again writing radical extreme stories to make people gasp and take a look. Not professional and such a tool...
    BINGO!!!

    This is EXACTLY my perspective!


  16. #36
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,752
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at a stretch the Almighty Bill Cowher went through before winning the Super Bowl in his 14th year of coaching. Included in this was 7-17 run. Should he have been fired?

    PIT 1998 7 9 0 .438 3rd in AFC Central
    PIT 1999 6 10 0 .375 4th in AFC Central

  17. #37
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    Ensuing circus from Rex Ryan guaranteeing a Superbowl victory to the media? Also not on Ryan. (That was mostly on Schotty, partially on Tebow.)
    The whole "Rex and his guarantees" to me is pure coach speak through the media to motivate his team, media hacks and some fans have taken Ryan to task on this for all the wrong reasons.

    Should Ryan conceal some of this, yeah, ok, sure, it created unneccessary pressure on the team, but that is what Ryan initially intended to prevent, and that was take pressure away from his locker room and put it on himself.

    I had NO problem with Rex on this topic, NONE.

    Media hacks love to cash in on this crap, and drive their weekly articles with the opponent and season, it was a goldmine for the bi-focal wearing dorks, so in that sense, Ryan needed to learn from that.

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,176
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Look at a stretch the Almighty Bill Cowher went through before winning the Super Bowl in his 14th year of coaching. Included in this was 7-17 run. Should he have been fired?

    PIT 1998 7 9 0 .438 3rd in AFC Central
    PIT 1999 6 10 0 .375 4th in AFC Central
    Cowher is a great example

    Another, John Fox

    I had a fan on here tell me making any comparisons with Fox and Ryan is an insult to Fox.

    Oh really?

    Obviously, that fan had no clue of Fox' up and down career in Carolina, Fox wouldn't last 4 years with the Jets and this market, or this fan base.

    Sure, Fox made it to the Superbowl, but they he'd have a 5-11 season, it was a roller coaster ride during his entire tenure.

    Last year, he lead a very average 8-8 Bronco team that was ironically saved by the heroics of Tebowmania, but it was clear that run would never last. DOes anybody think that team would have been better than .500 this year if Tebow was running the team? Of course not.

  19. #39
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,666
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bottom line. Is anybody truly willing to bet that Rex is the HC in 2014?

    So what's the point of keeping him now?

  20. #40
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Funkytown
    Posts
    24,939
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    In what year was BB considered a great HC?? Before or after Brady?? I know with the Browns he wasn't considered Great by any stretch.. In 2000 with Bledsoe he was 5-11.. And I consider both BB and Rex as excellent DC's..
    I think what happened with BB is that he evolved and became more aware of the offensive side of the ball. Brady, obviously, accelerated that process for him.

    As for Ryan, I'm not convinced he would ever be able to do that short of getting a Tom Brady. Even then, I'm not so sure he could do it. I think BB's football IQ is far superior to Ryan's and made that transition easier.

    I believe stubborness is also one of Ryan's bad traits.

    Can Ryan become what BB is? I don't know. I don't think so. But even so, how long are we willing to wait? How long can we afford to wait?

    JMO.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us