Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ian O'Connor: Rex Ryan should have gotten the boot too...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by w0mbat View Post
    I agree. People who want to fire everybody seem to just assume with a new coach the defense won't miss a beat and will be just as good. Considering the Jets defense talent level had a linebacking corps completely useless, no Revis, and received no help at all from the offense and special teams all year long, I thought the defense's performance was better than the sum of its parts.

Sanchez, Tebow, McElroy is one of the worst QB trios in the NFL. Put the best coach in the NFL on the Jets this year and I can''t see them going better than 8-8.

There is a reason why Tannenbaum got fired. The talent on the roster is mediocre at best and in a QB driven league Tannenbaum never provided Rex with even an adequate, medicore QB in his four years here. (Sanchez, Tebow, Brunell, McElroy, O'Connell, Ainge, Clemens)

Rex has his flaws and he doesn't get a lifetime pass just because of his first two years here, but he should be here next year.

Another good post!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    Ensuing circus from Rex Ryan guaranteeing a Superbowl victory to the media? Also not on Ryan. (That was mostly on Schotty, partially on Tebow.)
    I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    In what year was BB considered a great HC?? Before or after Brady?? I know with the Browns he wasn't considered Great by any stretch.. In 2000 with Bledsoe he was 5-11.. And I consider both BB and Rex as excellent DC's..
    Another very simple perspective that so many on here don't have.

Everybody wants a name coach, the coach who has had success, but they forget that ALL coaches, no matter WHO they are, went through ups and downs. All coaches had to "learn" to become very good coaches. Some took years to finally get a ring.

But every fan wants the next guy, then the next guy is here, and he's crap in 3 years, on to the next guy.

Obviously, a Rich Kotite type of coach will expose himself right away.

In Ryan, the team has had success, his mantra works, especially on defense. His teams play hard for him, he's an emotional coach that gets it on a lot of levels. And yes, of course, he DOES have to learn, and improve in areas.

Name for me ONE coach in the history of football that didn't have to do this to become good or great, or who didn't go through ups and downs?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by w0mbat View Post
    I agree. People who want to fire everybody seem to just assume with a new coach the defense won't miss a beat and will be just as good. Considering the Jets defense talent level had a linebacking corps completely useless, no Revis, and received no help at all from the offense and special teams all year long, I thought the defense's performance was better than the sum of its parts.

Sanchez, Tebow, McElroy is one of the worst QB trios in the NFL. Put the best coach in the NFL on the Jets this year and I can''t see them going better than 8-8.

There is a reason why Tannenbaum got fired. The talent on the roster is mediocre at best and in a QB driven league Tannenbaum never provided Rex with even an adequate, medicore QB in his four years here. (Sanchez, Tebow, Brunell, McElroy, O'Connell, Ainge, Clemens)

Rex has his flaws and he doesn't get a lifetime pass just because of his first two years here, but he should be here next year.
    From accounts, Ryan forced Sanchez on Tannenbaum as well as other players. That's not all on Tannenbaum.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    From accounts, Ryan forced Sanchez on Tannenbaum as well as other players. That's not all on Tannenbaum.
    Exactly. Sanchez is what has sunk the franchise. Sparano and Tebow are child's play compared to Sanchez. Rex got to pick his QB. They were wrong. All three need to go.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Bottom line. Is anybody truly willing to bet that Rex is the HC in 2014?

So what's the point of keeping him now?
    Why not?

The point in keeping him now is that he's shown a body of work and has had some success at a high level.

The point in keeping him is tell me what other coach out there YOU or anybody thinks we should go after at his expense, and why?

Why is it Rex cannot learn from his mistakes, and why is he not afforded the opportunity to through the downs, he's only had one down year, this past year, much of which was derailed due to player injuries and so many other reasons that weren't his doing?

It is fans like you that make no sense, always want the "next guy" just because, and you have no real reason to justify it.

If Rex has two average seasons his first two years, I can't argue anybody against wanting the guy back, but those two AFCCG's did something for this franchise that no other coach achieved in its history, yet nobody wants to give him the benefit of the doubt, nobody wants to give Rex the proper credit.

NO coach is flawless, head coaches that become very good or great have to go through the ups and downs. There is no fan on this board or anywhere that can convince me, or should be able to convince anybody that Rex is worth firing just because, because there is somebody else out there WORTH firing Rex right now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Another very simple perspective that so many on here don't have.

Everybody wants a name coach, the coach who has had success, but they forget that ALL coaches, no matter WHO they are, went through ups and downs. All coaches had to "learn" to become very good coaches. Some took years to finally get a ring.

But every fan wants the next guy, then the next guy is here, and he's crap in 3 years, on to the next guy.

Obviously, a Rich Kotite type of coach will expose himself right away.

In Ryan, the team has had success, his mantra works, especially on defense. His teams play hard for him, he's an emotional coach that gets it on a lot of levels. And yes, of course, he DOES have to learn, and improve in areas.

Name for me ONE coach in the history of football that didn't have to do this to become good or great, or who didn't go through ups and downs?
    Yet thanks to the team Buddy Ryan left him Kotite with the Eagles was 10-6,11-5 before falling to 8-8 and fired..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What accounts?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not saying, nor can I refute that Ryan didn't have input, I just don't know the extent of that input. The insinuation in this thread and in the article is that Ryan had a lot of input, and I just don't see that.

Not sure what you mean by my position with respect to the scumbags in the media and their agenda, I have no position, I'm just as pissed off as any other Jets fan on here, I want answers too, but I am NOT going to be influenced by the complete garbage that the media puts out, and I think this is a great fault for many fans here and everywhere. Too many allow the media influence their position as to what goes on with the team, I try to think further. Too much of what the media puts out doesn't add up, then of course, there is a fair share that they probably hit on, or make sense on. That's what I try to do, make sense of it all, the media has an agenda, I don't, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, so be it, it still has to make sense to me.

Putting credence into a hack like O'Connor calling for the firing of Rex, is flat out disgusting, and his points are purely sensationalism. I also think he's wrong with how much influence Rex had on Tannenbaum's job. Tannenbaum fired his own friend in Eric Mangini, how much power could Rex have obtained over the guy who fired his friend to hire him?

Sparano's addition to the staff because of Tannenbaum makes sense to me, Sparano is a Parcells guy, Parcells and Tannenbaum remain close, but too many want to blame Rex. See, blaming Rex doesn't make sense. Did Rex approve, did he vouch for Sparano? Of course he did, partly because its his job to do so, but also because he needed to buy in, and initially, he probably did. But he also didn't realize that Sparano at the time, just wasn't a good fit for this team, and whether it was Sparano or Cavanaugh, they both proceed to contribute to ruining Sanchez this year, on TOP of all the injuries, which ONCE again, TO ME, was the biggest reason for the season failure this year.

The list goes on.
    How do we know that what the media puts out is complete garbage?

Some of it is yes.

But there comes a point that when you have a half dozen or so guys basically saying the same things that you have to stop and think that there's some truth to what's being said.

Why would these guys want Rex Ryan fired? He's a goldmine for them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of it is yes.

But there comes a point that when you have a half dozen or so guys basically saying the same things that you have to stop and think that there's some truth to what's being said.

For the same reasons the same NY hacks all complained that Ryan wasn't made available to the media yesterday. Kill the Jets, extend the circus mantra and way overplayed agenda, only to realize the team is probably waking up and they realize the media is the enemy, and they need to do all that they can to abide by the rules of the NFL and NOTHING more!

They are too stupid to realize their own crap can hurt them sometimes.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    What accounts?
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/footba...baum-1.4387676

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Bottom line. Is anybody truly willing to bet that Rex is the HC in 2014?

So what's the point of keeping him now?
    I feel Rex is a good HC.

However, I also agree with the idea that a new GM should be able to hire his own HC. I have heard on WFAN from Peter Schwartz that if the GM candidate the Jets really prefer won't accept the position unless he can replace Rex, Woody would NOT LET that prevent him for hiring him. That is why I believe Rex did not address the media on Monday or that Sporano has not been fired yet. Nothing will happen until the new GM is chosen. While it is probable, I don't think it is a slam dunk Rex will be back.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the same reasons the same NY hacks all complained that Ryan wasn't made available to the media yesterday. Kill the Jets, extend the circus mantra and way overplayed agenda, only to realize the team is probably waking up and they realize the media is the enemy, and they need to do all that they can to abide by the rules of the NFL and NOTHING more!

They are too stupid to realize their own crap can hurt them sometimes.
    You think that will be the MO going forward if Ryan stays on as HC? I doubt it. He'll go on being Rex Ryan, the media darling they love to quote.

I think Ryan's PC was canceled because WJ was advised to do so. I think Ryan's status is up in the air and they didn't want him saying anything that would jeapordize their search for a new GM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So on a day after the Jets finally terminated Tannenbaum, a move you and so many others have been begging for for several weeks, you now want to buy into an article that suggests Tannenbaum was the good guy that applauds his smarts, and his worth ethic, while Ryan was the bad guy?

You can't make this stuff up.

Sorry, it's just yet another hack writer's opinion, and spin.

My intepretation of the article is that Rex and Tannenbaum were a good fit, but I don't see how Rex forced Sanchez on Tannenbaum, that is just bull****. Did Rex work Sanchez out, along with the rest of the coaching staff, sure, did Rex force Tannenbaum's hand? Hell no, nobody did. Again, how could Rex, a guy that Tannenbaum hired to replace his friend in Mangini, suddenly gain that much power? It just doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 01-01-2013 at 03:02 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post

However, I also agree with the idea that a new GM should be able to hire his own HC. I have heard on WFAN from Peter Schwartz that if the GM candidate the Jets really prefer won't accept the position unless he can replace Rex, Woody would NOT LET that prevent him for hiring him. That is why I believe Rex did not address the media on Monday or that Sporano has not been fired yet. Nothing will happen until the new GM is chosen. While it is probable, I don't think it is a slam dunk Rex will be back.
    That sounds completely plausible.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Some of it is yes.

The sports media are like sharks with blood in the water they go into a feeding frenzy.. Anyone remember Dick Young's column's that forced Tom Seaver out of NY??

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    So on a day after the Jets finally terminated Tannenbaum, a move you and so many others have been begging for for several weeks, you now want to buy into an article that suggests Tannenbaum was the good guy that applauds his smarts, and his worth ethic, while Ryan was the bad guy?

You can't make this stuff up.
    That article was written before the Buffalo game and obviously before Tannenbaum was fired.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not?

The point in keeping him now is that he's shown a body of work and has had some success at a high level.

The point in keeping him is tell me what other coach out there YOU or anybody thinks we should go after at his expense, and why?

Why is it Rex cannot learn from his mistakes, and why is he not afforded the opportunity to through the downs, he's only had one down year, this past year, much of which was derailed due to player injuries and so many other reasons that weren't his doing?

It is fans like you that make no sense, always want the "next guy" just because, and you have no real reason to justify it.

If Rex has two average seasons his first two years, I can't argue anybody against wanting the guy back, but those two AFCCG's did something for this franchise that no other coach achieved in its history, yet nobody wants to give him the benefit of the doubt, nobody wants to give Rex the proper credit.

NO coach is flawless, head coaches that become very good or great have to go through the ups and downs. There is no fan on this board or anywhere that can convince me, or should be able to convince anybody that Rex is worth firing just because, because there is somebody else out there WORTH firing Rex right now.
    Rex has had 4 years to learn from his mistakes. He has not. He has grown at the same rate Sanchez has. He went into a game this year with one healthy QB. He has had proof of his DC leaking to the press for over a year and not only brings him back he also offers him an extension.

The team is consistently unprepared. He has shown no willingness to get involved in the offense. He allowed his team to come out flat in Pitt AFCCG after allowing the NE victory to be their SB.

He's not a HC. He's not a CEO. He is a DC. His heart is in being a DC. That is where his passion is. He is not the first coach with this problem.

And this team is not turning things around next year. Barring a miracle where we find a QB. He is coaching for his job with no way of getting better. The cap situation and roster are awful. The media will be relentless. The Giants will be better. And Woody will pull the plug. It is what it is.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You think that will be the MO going forward if Ryan stays on as HC? I doubt it. He'll go on being Rex Ryan, the media darling they love to quote.

I think Ryan's PC was canceled because WJ was advised to do so. I think Ryan's status is up in the air and they didn't want him saying anything that would jeapordize their search for a new GM.
    I think Ryan needs to be himself, but needs to tweak the things that he does, starting with his relationship and willingness to be open with the media, I think he will harden up quite a bit going forward, I think he'll learn from this past season when it was the media that helped to derail the season.

I think the PC was cancelled because the team has to be on the same page, and they need a few days to get things in order as the GM search continues.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    I feel Rex is a good HC.

Yeah, I can buy this.