Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

Thread: How to keep Cromartie and Revis

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,249

    How to keep Cromartie and Revis

    -Extend Cromartie 3 years past his current contract. 3 yrs $33 million $14.5 guaranteed $5 million signing bonus. Spread over the remaining 5 years of his contract would be $1 million pro-rated bonus from 2013-2017.

    -Turn Cromartie's 2013 $7 million base salary into a bonus and spread it over the remaining 5 years. $1.4 million pro-rated bonus from 2013-2017.

    -His pro-rated bonus of $2.3 million from his first contract here would still hit in 2013 and 2014.

    His cap hit for 2013 would be $4.7 million, saving $4.8 million on the cap.

    -Extend Revis for 6 years $78 million, $40 million guaranteed ($13 million annually would be tops in the NFL for CB). $30 million signing bonus. Spread over the life of the contract is $4.28 million per year from 2013-2019.

    -His cap hit for 2013 would rise by $4.28 million.

    -Making all of those moves would basically allow the Jets to keep both for the next 5 years and not take any more of a cap hit in 2013 by doing so.

    Anyway, that's my theory.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,732
    Not to rain on your parade here, but it just doesn't make sense to keep them both. Not with the rest of the team so depleted.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Not to rain on your parade here, but it just doesn't make sense to keep them both. Not with the rest of the team so depleted.
    I get it, I'm more in favor of trading Cromartie to get more assets that could be used on other areas of need whether it's draft picks or players. One thing that Revis being out has done is shown that we don't need two top CB's to have a top 10 defense. I was merely showing how having them both on the team could be worked financially without impacting next years cap. You could trade Cromartie and extend Revis and actually save more money then extending both of them and that would be my first choice. Revis' value has taken a hit with the injury no doubt and Cromartie's will never be higher then it is now. You always sell high.

  4. #4
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I get it, I'm more in favor of trading Cromartie to get more assets that could be used on other areas of need whether it's draft picks or players. One thing that Revis being out has done is shown that we don't need two top CB's to have a top 10 defense. I was merely showing how having them both on the team could be worked financially without impacting next years cap. You could trade Cromartie and extend Revis and actually save more money then extending both of them and that would be my first choice. Revis' value has taken a hit with the injury no doubt and Cromartie's will never be higher then it is now. You always sell high.
    Great points.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,974
    Im on the trade Revis bandwagon. He's one of the greatest talents ever to wear the green and white, but no CB should be making the money he's asking for. Cro can provide top 5 CB play at a reasonable contract. Keeping Revis and Cro simply isn't a luxury that we can afford at this point given all of the holes in our roster.

  6. #6
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,598
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    -Extend Cromartie 3 years past his current contract. 3 yrs $33 million $14.5 guaranteed $5 million signing bonus. Spread over the remaining 5 years of his contract would be $1 million pro-rated bonus from 2013-2017.

    -Turn Cromartie's 2013 $7 million base salary into a bonus and spread it over the remaining 5 years. $1.4 million pro-rated bonus from 2013-2017.

    -His pro-rated bonus of $2.3 million from his first contract here would still hit in 2013 and 2014.

    His cap hit for 2013 would be $4.7 million, saving $4.8 million on the cap.

    -Extend Revis for 6 years $78 million, $40 million guaranteed ($13 million annually would be tops in the NFL for CB). $30 million signing bonus. Spread over the life of the contract is $4.28 million per year from 2013-2019.

    -His cap hit for 2013 would rise by $4.28 million.

    -Making all of those moves would basically allow the Jets to keep both for the next 5 years and not take any more of a cap hit in 2013 by doing so.

    Anyway, that's my theory.
    I think the Jets might be looking for a new cap guy.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Getting rid of Holmes is also one way to clear up some long term cash.

    I would love to keep both of these guys because having 2 great CB gives the front 7 a lot of flexibility.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Im on the trade Revis bandwagon. He's one of the greatest talents ever to wear the green and white, but no CB should be making the money he's asking for. Cro can provide top 5 CB play at a reasonable contract. Keeping Revis and Cro simply isn't a luxury that we can afford at this point given all of the holes in our roster.
    You're really not going to overpay for him. I doubt he will be looking for more then $13 million a year. And that's about $1 million more then Asomough and about $2 million a year more then what Cromartie would command if he hit the open market. The huge difference and the deciding factor for me is that you are going to pay for consistency. With Cromartie you never know what you're going to get from year to year. With Revis you know what you're going to get and at some point I think that is more important. Couple that with the fact that Revis' value is down b/c he's coming off an injury and I think if you're going to trade one right now you may be able to get more for Cro. His value is sky high and his contract demands won't be what Revis' are.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    You're really not going to overpay for him. I doubt he will be looking for more then $13 million a year. And that's about $1 million more then Asomough and about $2 million a year more then what Cromartie would command if he hit the open market. The huge difference and the deciding factor for me is that you are going to pay for consistency. With Cromartie you never know what you're going to get from year to year. With Revis you know what you're going to get and at some point I think that is more important. Couple that with the fact that Revis' value is down b/c he's coming off an injury and I think if you're going to trade one right now you may be able to get more for Cro. His value is sky high and his contract demands won't be what Revis' are.
    His current contract was written with the intent of making more than Aso's Raider contract, which is 16.25 a year. What makes you think he's gonna drop down to 13m? Dude is going to want 17m a year and he'll be willing to sit out to get it as he has shown in the past.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Getting rid of Holmes is also one way to clear up some long term cash.

    I would love to keep both of these guys because having 2 great CB gives the front 7 a lot of flexibility.
    You can't really move Holmes this year b/c he has a big contract so no other team will touch that. You can cut him to save $1.25 million but now you're really weakening the WR core fro 2013 and for not much in savings. I think the Jets roll with him in 2013 hoping he performs how they thought he would and also so they don't create a depth problem worse then they had in 2012. If they saved $8 million this year by cutting him then I could see them doing that b/c they could use that $8 million to replace him but with only saving $1.25 million it's not worth it. In 2014 you can cut him and save $8.25 million and I think that is what the Jets will do.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    -Extend Cromartie 3 years past his current contract. 3 yrs $33 million $14.5 guaranteed $5 million signing bonus. Spread over the remaining 5 years of his contract would be $1 million pro-rated bonus from 2013-2017.

    -Turn Cromartie's 2013 $7 million base salary into a bonus and spread it over the remaining 5 years. $1.4 million pro-rated bonus from 2013-2017.

    -His pro-rated bonus of $2.3 million from his first contract here would still hit in 2013 and 2014.

    His cap hit for 2013 would be $4.7 million, saving $4.8 million on the cap.

    -Extend Revis for 6 years $78 million, $40 million guaranteed ($13 million annually would be tops in the NFL for CB). $30 million signing bonus. Spread over the life of the contract is $4.28 million per year from 2013-2019.

    -His cap hit for 2013 would rise by $4.28 million.

    -Making all of those moves would basically allow the Jets to keep both for the next 5 years and not take any more of a cap hit in 2013 by doing so.

    Anyway, that's my theory.
    Shouldn't you be preparing your résumé Mr Tannenbaum?:

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    You can't really move Holmes this year b/c he has a big contract so no other team will touch that. You can cut him to save $1.25 million but now you're really weakening the WR core fro 2013 and for not much in savings. I think the Jets roll with him in 2013 hoping he performs how they thought he would and also so they don't create a depth problem worse then they had in 2012. If they saved $8 million this year by cutting him then I could see them doing that b/c they could use that $8 million to replace him but with only saving $1.25 million it's not worth it. In 2014 you can cut him and save $8.25 million and I think that is what the Jets will do.
    It not just about this years cap hit. He is a bad teammate and will continue to be a problem in the locker room, especially if the Jets are as bad as we expect them to be.

    Going into 2013 with Edwards, Kerley, Hill, a cheap FA, and a rookie is fine by me. They don't need Holmes and most certainly don't need the baggage that comes with him.

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    His current contract was written with the intent of making more than Aso's Raider contract, which is 16.25 a year. What makes you think he's gonna drop down to 13m? Dude is going to want 17m a year and he'll be willing to sit out to get it as he has shown in the past.
    No that's not true. His current contract is 4 yr $46 million ($11.5 million per year) $27 million guaranteed and $18 million signing bonus with 3 option years at $3 million a piece. Aso got a 5 yr $60 million deal with the Eagles the year after Revis got his deal. So Aso took a $4.25 million pay cut per year. Why would he do that when he was regarded as the 1st or 2nd best CB in the league? He did it b/c the Raiders contract was an aberration. Way above market value for a CB. He eventually took a deal that was fair market value for him at that time. Also, why would Revis have had accepted $11.5 over a 4 yr contract if he was looking for $17 million back then? That makes no sense. Revis will accept a deal that calls for around $13 million annually b/c that is what the market value is for the top CB in the league. And if he attempts to hold out, then you trade him. You could always do that but I don't think he would leave $78 million on the table. Take a look at Aso now, if he was a FA after this past season he probably wouldn't see more then $6 million over a short term contract. Revis knows there is a lot of risk in turning down that much money when one wrong step can end your career.
    Last edited by Choon328; 01-01-2013 at 06:32 PM.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    It not just about this years cap hit. He is a bad teammate and will continue to be a problem in the locker room, especially if the Jets are as bad as we expect them to be.

    Going into 2013 with Edwards, Kerley, Hill, a cheap FA, and a rookie is fine by me. They don't need Holmes and most certainly don't need the baggage that comes with him.
    I get that and the new GM might just clean all of the baggage off of the Jets. Bye bye Holmes, Tebow, Sanchez and others. That is a possibility. I actually hope that happens but I have a feeling Woody will have a hard time eating that much money b/c you still have to replace him.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    7,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I get that and the new GM might just clean all of the baggage off of the Jets. Bye bye Holmes, Tebow, Sanchez and others. That is a possibility. I actually hope that happens but I have a feeling Woody will have a hard time eating that much money b/c you still have to replace him.
    You and I agree.

    The best thing to do is just blow it up and take he hit for one year, ready to emerge in 2014. That's way better than drawing this rebuild out over 3 years.

    That was an awful contract/decision to begin with.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    6,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    You're really not going to overpay for him. I doubt he will be looking for more then $13 million a year. And that's about $1 million more then Asomough and about $2 million a year more then what Cromartie would command if he hit the open market. The huge difference and the deciding factor for me is that you are going to pay for consistency. With Cromartie you never know what you're going to get from year to year. With Revis you know what you're going to get and at some point I think that is more important. Couple that with the fact that Revis' value is down b/c he's coming off an injury and I think if you're going to trade one right now you may be able to get more for Cro. His value is sky high and his contract demands won't be what Revis' are.
    If that's his asking price that's one thing, but all other reports indicate that he will be asking for more than that, almost into QB territory. No CB is not worth that amount of money, they do not effect the game as much as a QB does.

  17. #17
    Choon, walk me thru this.

    Revis is already signed thru 2016 with a 3mill proration to the cap every year
    these numbers are per jason's cap page That is why even if he opts out after the 2013 season you still have to account for 9 mill in cap charges as
    he already received the 18mill bonus in 2011.


    year Salary Cap Number Dead Money if Cut Cap Savings if Cut

    2012 $11,503,616 $22,003,616 ($10,500,000)
    2013 $9,000,000 $12,000,000 ( $3,000,000)
    2014 $6,000,000 $9,000,000 ($3,000,000)
    2015 $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0
    2016 $6,000,000 $3,000,000 $3,000,000

    Are you now talking about adding 6 more years to 2012? I don't think so.
    So with my understanding of how the cap works. I understand you want to extend him in 2013-14-15-16-17 and 18. you propose to do this by giving him a 30 mill bonus over those 6 years. That will require the jets to amoritize that 30mill in 6 installments of 5mill for each of the 2013-2018 years. that means even before his salary is added he has a cap charge of 8 mill for years 2013-2016 (5mill new amortization and 3mill old amortization) then you need to add the salaries for each year to arrive at the cap charge for that year..

  18. #18
    I vote we let the new GM handle these problems. The new GM coming in should have a short and long term plan and he will execute that plan. He should already have some idea coming in how he wants to handle these types of issues because these types of issues determine the whole direction of the team. If the new GM coming in doesn't have a plan then the Jets got it wrong again which is highly possible.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    It not just about this years cap hit. He is a bad teammate and will continue to be a problem in the locker room, especially if the Jets are as bad as we expect them to be.

    Going into 2013 with Edwards, Kerley, Hill, a cheap FA, and a rookie is fine by me. They don't need Holmes and most certainly don't need the baggage that comes with him.
    Agreed we need to unload Holmes he is a cancer who is in decline after this injury. Hill should be better next year with a season under his belt Kerley looks good too. I think the Jets could find a decent WR in the mid rounds. The fans on this board need to stop the man crush on these players this team is decimated holding onto players like Revis and Holmes is only holding this franchise back. These players are sucking up serious cap space and this team is 2 years from competing again.Both these players were not missed I dont see this offense being any better if Holmes didnt get hurt and the defense didnt miss Revis. So why hold onto either of them so fans can brag about having the best players.

  20. #20
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Choon, walk me thru this.

    Revis is already signed thru 2016 with a 3mill proration to the cap every year
    these numbers are per jason's cap page That is why even if he opts out after the 2013 season you still have to account for 9 mill in cap charges as
    he already received the 18mill bonus in 2011.


    year Salary Cap Number Dead Money if Cut Cap Savings if Cut

    2012 $11,503,616 $22,003,616 ($10,500,000)
    2013 $9,000,000 $12,000,000 ( $3,000,000)
    2014 $6,000,000 $9,000,000 ($3,000,000)
    2015 $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0
    2016 $6,000,000 $3,000,000 $3,000,000

    Are you now talking about adding 6 more years to 2012? I don't think so.
    So with my understanding of how the cap works. I understand you want to extend him in 2013-14-15-16-17 and 18. you propose to do this by giving him a 30 mill bonus over those 6 years. That will require the jets to amoritize that 30mill in 6 installments of 5mill for each of the 2013-2018 years. that means even before his salary is added he has a cap charge of 8 mill for years 2013-2016 (5mill new amortization and 3mill old amortization) then you need to add the salaries for each year to arrive at the cap charge for that year..
    No, I'm talking about adding 6 years after the 2013 season b/c Revis will agree to waive those years in order to get a new contract starting in 2014, so the extension is from 2014-2019. So the only difference in his 2013 contract would be the signing bonus that gets spread out from 2013-2019. Even though the signing bonus is for 2014 and beyond, it still gets spread out starting in 2013. So that would be $30 million over 7 years. $4.28 million per year. His 2013 contract does not get touched. He still would have a base salary of $3 million, pro-rated bonus of $3 million from his last contract and $3 million of additional bonuses that he is scheduled to receive in 2013. Then add the $4.28 million portion of his new contracts bonus. So his contract for 2013 would cost $4.28 million more then it is now but with the savings on Cromartie's contract it's a wash.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us