Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Sanchez cap value for staying on the team is $12,853,125

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    You really might aswell remove 'trade' as a viable solution to the Mark Sanchez problem.

Not one team in the NFL is going to want to saddle themselves with such an expensive, and so obviously broken, QB.

Sure the guys in Az are horrible, but at least they are young and relatively cheap.

I would imagine a Hasselbeck-type cheap vet being brought in next year to compete with Sanchez - which will be Sanchez' last on the roster.

Unfortunately the Jets are just going to have to eat the cap hit and wasted roster spot - at least its going to be in a 2014 season that is doomed to failure long before it begins.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSuzy View Post
    Thank you, Magnus! Jesus Effing Chr*st am I tired of Tebow getting blamed for Sanchez's poor play. Sanchez's piss-poor play started last season. And stop making Sanchez sound like an effing delicate flower crybaby. It's BS that having Tebow riding the pine for all but 3-5 snaps a game broke Sanchez. If Tebow wasn't here the fans would have been chanting for Stanton or McElroy; it's just what happens when you play with the big boys in the NFL.

On a lighter note, I see that the guy who was fired is getting blamed for everything now. Revisionist history at work again that it was Tanny who wanted Tebow. In case you have short-term memory loss, maybe you should check the posts from 12/31 and 1/1/13 that already debunked that myth. I guess it's just like any other job - everybody blames their mistakes on the guy who was fired, whether the job is at McDonald's or the NFL.
    This. While I do think that pulling Mark whenever he and the O got on a roll so that they could run the stupid ass "wildcat" was the dumbest **** in the world, Tebow's acquisition had no effect on Mark's terrible performance. I mean, if Sanchez is such a mentally weak ***** that having one of the worst QBs ever waiting in the wings is what breaks you then you shouldn't be in the NFL.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about a possible Sanchez to Seattle for "backup" Matt Flynn deal?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall Street Superstar View Post
    Isn't Flynn making about as much as Mark? Money-wise, it's feasible, but I doubt Carroll would want Mark's awful play on the roster even as a backup.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Sanchez is worst value QB in the NFL - why would any team want him?

His current contract is hugely prohibitive.

The reasons that Jets fanbase are so desperate to see the back of him, are the very same reasons that no other team will touch him with a barge-pole longer than Mike Glennons neck.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    http://nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

Why does everyone talk about the monster cap hit for cutting Sanchez when he also has a monster cap hit for staying on the team?

If he is a June 1 cut I read they can prorate the 17million cap hit for cutting him into 12.35mill this year and 4.8mill next year. Guess what if we keep Sanchez it costs us 12.8mill this year and then an additional 4.8mill of dead money if we get rid of him the next year.

So in essence cutting Sanchez after June 1 will cost us the same amount of money as keeping him. The only difference is if we cut him we can get a supplemental draft pick, an extra roster spot, and not have the very real risk of Rex sticking with Sanchez to hell or high water just in case a miracle happens and he won't be so wrong for picking him in the draft.
    BINGO! This is exactly the right math. Dumping Sanchez costs an
    extra $4.8M on top of what you spend anyhow. Other posters are
    right that there are tricky ways to lower the numbers that MUST be
    pursued. However assuming none of that works out, the correct choice is:

• Do you want to pay Sanchez the extra $4.8M this year to leave now?
    • Do you want to pay Sanchez the extra $4.8M next year to leave then?

My answer is leave now. Not just because of the extra roster spot
    and supplemental draft pick, but to clear the air and get past this mistake.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    There is no doubt that Sanchez has more ability then anything that Arizona has thrown out there the past 2 years. I believe a team like that could say that if they surrounded Sanchez with weapons (Fitzgerald, Floyd) that he could play better then what he has shown the past 2 seasons with the Jets. And I don't necessarily disagree with that idea. That's why one of those teams may take a shot and offer us a low round draft pick for him and hope he develops with better weapons and nicer weather.
    Why do you think Sanchez is better than Kolb? You guys harp on the jets oline but it is light years better than Arizona and Greene is better at rb than what they have there also.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Why do you think Sanchez is better than Kolb? You guys harp on the jets oline but it is light years better than Arizona and Greene is better at rb than what they have there also.
    Greene is as run of the mill as it gets, I'd take any teams #1 back over him

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Garbage pop psychology. Jets fans will look to any and every excuse to explain away a poor season. It was Schotty's fault. It was Tebow's fault. It was Sparano's fault. It was because of injuries. Someone or something has to take the fall, because admitting the team sucked simply because they sucked is a reality that is too difficult to handle for some.
    This...at least when it comes to Sanchez. There are tons of reasons why Sanchez's growth was inhibited. Some of them may even have some merit. At the end of the day though, if he couldn't produce on the field, its his own fault. If his psyche is so fragile, if his talent is so narrow, he's not a quality QB. Cavanaugh, Shotty, Sparano, Tebow, etc. may not have done him any favors. But a good QB overcomes adversity - doesn't use it as an excuse.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that trade will happen, especially if turner is our OC.And i think our new GM, with Woody's blessing will do whatever he has to to get it done. No way a new GM, is gonna keep Sanchez on the roster next year.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody is tradable, but if your trading garbage, your going to have to take garbage back. Problem is there isnt a contract that smells worse than dirty sanchez..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeek View Post
    BINGO! This is exactly the right math. Dumping Sanchez costs an
    extra $4.8M on top of what you spend anyhow. Other posters are
    right that there are tricky ways to lower the numbers that MUST be
    pursued. However assuming none of that works out, the correct choice is:

• Do you want to pay Sanchez the extra $4.8M this year to leave now?
    • Do you want to pay Sanchez the extra $4.8M next year to leave then?

My answer is leave now. Not just because of the extra roster spot
    and supplemental draft pick, but to clear the air and get past this mistake.
    You don't get supplemental picks for guys you trade or cut - only for those whose contracts expire and who go elsewhere.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there are 2 scenarios that the Jets will look at:

1. Attempting to trade Sanchez. If they turn half of his base salary into a bonus that will make his base salary around $4 million for next year and therefore making him more appealing to a team who is looking for a guy to compete for a starting QB job or for a backup. Henne got paid $3.375 per year to be the backup in Jacksonville so paying $4 million for Sanchez is not out of the realm of possibililty. And contrary to popular belief Sanchez does have trade value at the $4 million price range. It may not be anything more then a 5th or 6th but somebody will take a shot with him if the Jets pursue a deal. Arz, KC, Jax are all teams that may be willing to bring a guy in who has had success in this league and who is better then what they have now. And the positive for the Jets, beyond what they may get for him is that they break out even on the cap in 2013 and would have no dead money in 2014.

2. Like you said in your post above, releasing Sanchez after June 1st is the 2nd possibility. Yes there is a dead money hit in 2014 but getting him off the team and moving forward is the most important thing. Plus the cap is supposed to jump quite a bit in 2014 due to the new TV contracts starting up so eating $4 million will be more palatable.

A new GM will want a fresh start and moving Tebow and Sanchez will be his first priority. Move on from the old drama and look to the future. That's what I would do anyway.
    How funny would it be if Jax ended up with both Sanchez and Tebow?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    No one is dumb enough to trade for Sanchez. Definitely the worst player in the NFL this year who started 10+ games.

I am so perplexed as to why Rex stood by this clown for so long. I think Rex is a great defensive coach, but his standing by Sanchez while Sanchez torpedoed our season is going to hurt Rex going forward and how owners may percieve him as a guy who can make the correct personnel decision.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Kolb has Larry Fitzgerald a top 3 WR and Andre Roberts is a pretty good #2 WR. Sanchez has Schilens and Marty Gilyard. Think before you post.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wall Street Superstar View Post
    There's a better chance of me having a threesome with Whitney Cummings and Jessica Biel. Seattle would never pay $8 mil to Sanchez to be Wilson's backup. Yes, they are paying Flynn $2 mil but that's way less money and they are going to use Flynn to fleece picks off another team this off-season.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    There's a better chance of me having a threesome with Whitney Cummings and Jessica Biel. Seattle would never pay $8 mil to Sanchez to be Wilson's backup. Yes, they are paying Flynn $2 mil but that's way less money and they are going to use Flynn to fleece picks off another team this off-season.
    Flynn is making $5.25 million in 2013 and $6.25 million in 2014.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4949/matt-flynn

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    No one is dumb enough to trade for Sanchez. Definitely the worst player in the NFL this year who started 10+ games.
    Let's face it.

The only team dumb enough to put Sanchez on their roster already has him on their roster.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flynn is making $5.25 million in 2013 and $6.25 million in 2014.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4949/matt-flynn
    And Seattle would still have to pay Sanchez $3 million more next season even if the Jets take the cap hit -Seahawks are still paying the bill. Why would Seattle pay that kind of money for a backup qb when they can trade Flynn to another team for draft picks that cost a fraction of the price? Not to mention Sanchez would be a distraction in their lockeroom and he's not better than a Henne or Garrard who can be signed for the vet minimum.

Like I said, me, Whitney Cummings and Jessica Biel on a king sized is a better possiblity of happening.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    And Seattle would still have to pay Sanchez $3 million more next season even if the Jets take the cap hit -Seahawks are still paying the bill. Why would Seattle pay that kind of money for a backup qb when they can trade Flynn to another team for draft picks that cost a fraction of the price? Not to mention Sanchez would be a distraction in their lockeroom and he's not better than a Henne or Garrard who can be signed for the vet minimum.

Like I said, me, Whitney Cummings and Jessica Biel on a king sized is a better possiblity of happening.
    No team will inherit this contract...

You only take on Sanchez and his bloated contract, if you actually think he can be your franchise QB. You audition him in 2013. If he's still a TO machine for this other team. Then they would have to cut him to avoid paying him $13.1 mil in 2014. And take a CAP hit of $4.8 mil in dead money to boot!

I can't imagine a single team doing this. The fan outrage for any team foolish to bring Sanchez over with this contract, will cost the GM his job. As it has for Tanny...for putting together this CAP Hell of a deal.

Just cut losses with Sanchez after June 1st, is what the new GM should do. Then move forward from there.

Some other team will sign Sanchez on the cheap, as a backup. With the possibility of him being able to take over as a starter sometime in the future. And the Jets will get a compensatory 3rd round pick for 2014 draft.

IMO...that's the best the Jets can do with this mess.
    Last edited by GreenReaper; 01-03-2013 at 02:34 AM.