Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 50

Thread: Mark Sanchez cap value for staying on the team is $12,853,125

  1. #1

    Mark Sanchez cap value for staying on the team is $12,853,125

    http://nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

    Why does everyone talk about the monster cap hit for cutting Sanchez when he also has a monster cap hit for staying on the team?

    If he is a June 1 cut I read they can prorate the 17million cap hit for cutting him into 12.35mill this year and 4.8mill next year. Guess what if we keep Sanchez it costs us 12.8mill this year and then an additional 4.8mill of dead money if we get rid of him the next year.

    So in essence cutting Sanchez after June 1 will cost us the same amount of money as keeping him. The only difference is if we cut him we can get a supplemental draft pick, an extra roster spot, and not have the very real risk of Rex sticking with Sanchez to hell or high water just in case a miracle happens and he won't be so wrong for picking him in the draft.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    http://nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

    Why does everyone talk about the monster cap hit for cutting Sanchez when he also has a monster cap hit for staying on the team?

    If he is a June 1 cut I read they can prorate the 17million cap hit for cutting him into 12.35mill this year and 4.8mill next year. Guess what if we keep Sanchez it costs us 12.8mill this year and then an additional 4.8mill of dead money if we get rid of him the next year.

    So in essence cutting Sanchez after June 1 will cost us the same amount of money as keeping him. The only difference is if we cut him we can get a supplemental draft pick, an extra roster spot, and not have the very real risk of Rex sticking with Sanchez to hell or high water just in case a miracle happens and he won't be so wrong for picking him in the draft.
    I think there are 2 scenarios that the Jets will look at:

    1. Attempting to trade Sanchez. If they turn half of his base salary into a bonus that will make his base salary around $4 million for next year and therefore making him more appealing to a team who is looking for a guy to compete for a starting QB job or for a backup. Henne got paid $3.375 per year to be the backup in Jacksonville so paying $4 million for Sanchez is not out of the realm of possibililty. And contrary to popular belief Sanchez does have trade value at the $4 million price range. It may not be anything more then a 5th or 6th but somebody will take a shot with him if the Jets pursue a deal. Arz, KC, Jax are all teams that may be willing to bring a guy in who has had success in this league and who is better then what they have now. And the positive for the Jets, beyond what they may get for him is that they break out even on the cap in 2013 and would have no dead money in 2014.

    2. Like you said in your post above, releasing Sanchez after June 1st is the 2nd possibility. Yes there is a dead money hit in 2014 but getting him off the team and moving forward is the most important thing. Plus the cap is supposed to jump quite a bit in 2014 due to the new TV contracts starting up so eating $4 million will be more palatable.

    A new GM will want a fresh start and moving Tebow and Sanchez will be his first priority. Move on from the old drama and look to the future. That's what I would do anyway.

  3. #3
    The best case is a trade for a very late-round pick to a team in need of a veteran backup who might think they can rehabilitate Sanchez.

    Lets pray such a team and Coach exists.

  4. #4
    If what you gents are saying is true there should be no question at all that he should be traded or cut this year. I am much less optomisitic that we can trade him though. Sanchez has been garbage for two years and a team with QB problems like Zona is not going to want to replace their garbage with ours.

  5. #5
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    http://nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

    Why does everyone talk about the monster cap hit for cutting Sanchez when he also has a monster cap hit for staying on the team?

    If he is a June 1 cut I read they can prorate the 17million cap hit for cutting him into 12.35mill this year and 4.8mill next year. Guess what if we keep Sanchez it costs us 12.8mill this year and then an additional 4.8mill of dead money if we get rid of him the next year.

    So in essence cutting Sanchez after June 1 will cost us the same amount of money as keeping him. The only difference is if we cut him we can get a supplemental draft pick, an extra roster spot, and not have the very real risk of Rex sticking with Sanchez to hell or high water just in case a miracle happens and he won't be so wrong for picking him in the draft.
    I think we can utilize this in a better way

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    http://nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

    Why does everyone talk about the monster cap hit for cutting Sanchez when he also has a monster cap hit for staying on the team?

    If he is a June 1 cut I read they can prorate the 17million cap hit for cutting him into 12.35mill this year and 4.8mill next year. Guess what if we keep Sanchez it costs us 12.8mill this year and then an additional 4.8mill of dead money if we get rid of him the next year.

    So in essence cutting Sanchez after June 1 will cost us the same amount of money as keeping him. The only difference is if we cut him we can get a supplemental draft pick, an extra roster spot, and not have the very real risk of Rex sticking with Sanchez to hell or high water just in case a miracle happens and he won't be so wrong for picking him in the draft.
    The one thing you're forgetting is his replacement. we will have to pay another backup somewhere around 2-4m if we want someone halfway respectable. As bad as Sanchez is he is a half decent backup. So if you look at it this way-do you pay 12m for Sanchez to be the backup, or 14-16m for a guy like Campbell to be the backup? Of course we also need to find a starter as well. Man why the hell did Tanny extend him!?!?

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    14,138
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    The one thing you're forgetting is his replacement. we will have to pay another backup somewhere around 2-4m if we want someone halfway respectable. As bad as Sanchez is he is a half decent backup. So if you look at it this way-do you pay 12m for Sanchez to be the backup, or 14-16m for a guy like Campbell to be the backup? Of course we also need to find a starter as well. Man why the hell did Tanny extend him!?!?
    Thats a good point. The bottom line is this, whether traded, cut or retained Mark will still cost at least 12.8 million against the cap.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    The one thing you're forgetting is his replacement. we will have to pay another backup somewhere around 2-4m if we want someone halfway respectable. As bad as Sanchez is he is a half decent backup. So if you look at it this way-do you pay 12m for Sanchez to be the backup, or 14-16m for a guy like Campbell to be the backup? Of course we also need to find a starter as well. Man why the hell did Tanny extend him!?!?
    Your points are great but the way I feel and I think the way the new GM will feel is that having Sanchez on the team will just perpetuate the drama we saw this year. Plus I feel like they will bring in a veteran as you suggested and draft a guy in the mid rounds of this draft. Let them compete and the best man wins the job. I would pay $4 million this year to have Sanchez gone. I think having him Tebow gone will be good for the psyche of this team and Rex.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    Your points are great but the way I feel and I think the way the new GM will feel is that having Sanchez on the team will just perpetuate the drama we saw this year. Plus I feel like they will bring in a veteran as you suggested and draft a guy in the mid rounds of this draft. Let them compete and the best man wins the job. I would pay $4 million this year to have Sanchez gone. I think having him Tebow gone will be good for the psyche of this team and Rex.
    I agree, I just thought I'd point that out.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Jets Land
    Posts
    1,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If what you gents are saying is true there should be no question at all that he should be traded or cut this year. I am much less optomisitic that we can trade him though. Sanchez has been garbage for two years and a team with QB problems like Zona is not going to want to replace their garbage with ours.
    There is no doubt that Sanchez has more ability then anything that Arizona has thrown out there the past 2 years. I believe a team like that could say that if they surrounded Sanchez with weapons (Fitzgerald, Floyd) that he could play better then what he has shown the past 2 seasons with the Jets. And I don't necessarily disagree with that idea. That's why one of those teams may take a shot and offer us a low round draft pick for him and hope he develops with better weapons and nicer weather.

  11. #11
    If the franchise has any hope of winning in 2013, Sanchez will be a designated June 1 release. If he's kept around, get ready for another 6-10 campaign in 2013.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    http://nyjetscap.com/salary13.html

    Why does everyone talk about the monster cap hit for cutting Sanchez when he also has a monster cap hit for staying on the team?

    If he is a June 1 cut I read they can prorate the 17million cap hit for cutting him into 12.35mill this year and 4.8mill next year. Guess what if we keep Sanchez it costs us 12.8mill this year and then an additional 4.8mill of dead money if we get rid of him the next year.

    So in essence cutting Sanchez after June 1 will cost us the same amount of money as keeping him. The only difference is if we cut him we can get a supplemental draft pick, an extra roster spot, and not have the very real risk of Rex sticking with Sanchez to hell or high water just in case a miracle happens and he won't be so wrong for picking him in the draft.
    Rex Ryan didn't select Mark Sanchez, Mike Tannenbaum did.

  13. #13
    Arizona please take him

  14. #14
    If the Jets hadnt botched playing him so badly there would be a trade market for him. There probably is one now but its going to be harder. I think Seattle would have interest. Arizona might but Reid going there scares me. He comes from an organization that would never touch a guy like Sanchez.

    It also may be a situation where the Jets are forced to keep him and make him 3rd string if he is that bad. Id anticipate reworking his deal to balance out those 2013 and 2014 cap charges if they opt for that option.

    http://www.nyjetscap.com/2012_Articl...ezoptions.html

  15. #15
    Hey don't look at me. I wanted to cut Sanchez last off-season so we could sign Mario Williams and the entire site laughed at me.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Arizona please take him
    We are still on the hook for $9 mil IF anyone is willing to take Sanchez in a trade. Woody and Tanny screwed us good. I still stand by the opinion that he'd still be an ok qb if we never traded for Tebow.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    We are still on the hook for $9 mil IF anyone is willing to take Sanchez in a trade. Woody and Tanny screwed us good. I still stand by the opinion that he'd still be an ok qb if we never traded for Tebow.
    He had 18 interceptions the year before Tebow showed up. He had 20 interceptions his first year and in his second year he had 13 interceptions with an additional 15 droped interceptions that pro football focus determined was the most ever. This from a system that wants to ground and pound and doesn't throw as much as most other teams. Yea he has always been an extremely bad QB with or without Tebow.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    He had 18 interceptions the year before Tebow showed up. He had 20 interceptions his first year and in his second year he had 13 interceptions with an additional 15 droped interceptions that pro football focus determined was the most ever. This from a system that wants to ground and pound and doesn't throw as much as most other teams. Yea he has always been an extremely bad QB with or without Tebow.
    He wasn't extremely bad he was Jay Fielder. What killed Sanchez particular this year was 1) no pass catching RB or TE who could be a safety valve in the flats (he had that in Tom and Keller from 2009-2011) and 2) having to constantly look over his shoulder b/c America's Golden Boy Tebow was on the sideline or having to come in every other play.


    Basically any QB would have looked horrible in this offense this year. Sanchez was mediocre and not having a RB or TE in the flats who could make a play made him awful.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    He had 18 interceptions the year before Tebow showed up. He had 20 interceptions his first year and in his second year he had 13 interceptions with an additional 15 dropped interceptions that pro football focus determined was the most ever. This from a system that wants to ground and pound and doesn't throw as much as most other teams. Yea he has always been an extremely bad QB with or without Tebow.
    Thank you, Magnus! Jesus Effing Chr*st am I tired of Tebow getting blamed for Sanchez's poor play. Sanchez's piss-poor play started last season. And stop making Sanchez sound like an effing delicate flower crybaby. It's BS that having Tebow riding the pine for all but 3-5 snaps a game broke Sanchez. If Tebow wasn't here the fans would have been chanting for Stanton or McElroy; it's just what happens when you play with the big boys in the NFL.

    On a lighter note, I see that the guy who was fired is getting blamed for everything now. Revisionist history at work again that it was Tanny who wanted Tebow. In case you have short-term memory loss, maybe you should check the posts from 12/31 and 1/1/13 that already debunked that myth. I guess it's just like any other job - everybody blames their mistakes on the guy who was fired, whether the job is at McDonald's or the NFL.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    He wasn't extremely bad he was Jay Fielder. What killed Sanchez particular this year was 1) no pass catching RB or TE who could be a safety valve in the flats (he had that in Tom and Keller from 2009-2011) and 2) having to constantly look over his shoulder b/c America's Golden Boy Tebow was on the sideline or having to come in every other play.


    Basically any QB would have looked horrible in this offense this year. Sanchez was mediocre and not having a RB or TE in the flats who could make a play made him awful.
    Garbage pop psychology. Jets fans will look to any and every excuse to explain away a poor season. It was Schotty's fault. It was Tebow's fault. It was Sparano's fault. It was because of injuries. Someone or something has to take the fall, because admitting the team sucked simply because they sucked is a reality that is too difficult to handle for some.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us