Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mark Sanchez cap value for staying on the team is $12,853,125

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    what indication is there that sanchez can be a decent backup? maybe it would be better to cut sanchez keep tebow (he's still on his rookie contract, i think) and get someone else to start or use mcelroy. then tebow is happier and the jets won't have to worry about sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    The one thing you're forgetting is his replacement. we will have to pay another backup somewhere around 2-4m if we want someone halfway respectable. As bad as Sanchez is he is a half decent backup. So if you look at it this way-do you pay 12m for Sanchez to be the backup, or 14-16m for a guy like Campbell to be the backup? Of course we also need to find a starter as well. Man why the hell did Tanny extend him!?!?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    This. While I do think that pulling Mark whenever he and the O got on a roll so that they could run the stupid ass "wildcat" was the dumbest **** in the world, Tebow's acquisition had no effect on Mark's terrible performance. I mean, if Sanchez is such a mentally weak ***** that having one of the worst QBs ever waiting in the wings is what breaks you then you shouldn't be in the NFL.

The problem is, can you remember such moments?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    what indication is there that sanchez can be a decent backup? maybe it would be better to cut sanchez keep tebow (he's still on his rookie contract, i think) and get someone else to start or use mcelroy. then tebow is happier and the jets won't have to worry about sanchez.
    As we saw his year Tebow is not a viable back-up. Not is because of his lack of skills but because he'll require a completely different offensive system than most NFL QB's. which makes the Jes decision sooo bad and why Rex should be let go along with the GM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    No team will inherit this contract...

You only take on Sanchez and his bloated contract, if you actually think he can be your franchise QB. You audition him in 2013. If he's still a TO machine for this other team. Then they would have to cut him to avoid paying him $13.1 mil in 2014. And take a CAP hit of $4.8 mil in dead money to boot!

I can't imagine a single team doing this. The fan outrage for any team foolish to bring Sanchez over with this contract, will cost the GM his job. As it has for Tanny...for putting together this CAP Hell of a deal.

Just cut losses with Sanchez after June 1st, is what the new GM should do. Then move forward from there.

Some other team will sign Sanchez on the cheap, as a backup. With the possibility of him being able to take over as a starter sometime in the future. And the Jets will get a compensatory 3rd round pick for 2014 draft.

IMO...that's the best the Jets can do with this mess.
    Any team that trades for him will not take on the dead money associated with the signing bonus - they'd only be on the hook for his annual salaries and they would almost undoubtedly re-negotiate with him.

So, if:

1. Sanchez agreed to take a reduction in 2013 in salary by $2m;

2. The Jets agreed to convert $3m of his salary into a roster bonus; and

3. Another team agreed to a 2 yr/ $6m contract with Sanchez.....

its a possibility. The Jets would have their cap hit reduced by about $5m and they can spread the dead money (at least some of it) over 2 years.

All it would take would be a low round pick or even a conditional pick to make it happen. Considering the FA market consists of Matt Moore (I'd pay him decent money to be our starter), Jason Campbell and Drew Stanton, Sanchez is a viable option for a team looking for a seasoned backup and who may have the potential for a QB opening if their shaky starter doesn't pan out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Any team that trades for him will not take on the dead money associated with the signing bonus - they'd only be on the hook for his annual salaries and they would almost undoubtedly re-negotiate with him.

So, if:

1. Sanchez agreed to take a reduction in 2013 in salary by $2m;

2. The Jets agreed to convert $3m of his salary into a roster bonus; and

3. Another team agreed to a 2 yr/ $6m contract with Sanchez.....

its a possibility. The Jets would have their cap hit reduced by about $5m and they can spread the dead money (at least some of it) over 2 years.

All it would take would be a low round pick or even a conditional pick to make it happen. Considering the FA market consists of Matt Moore (I'd pay him decent money to be our starter), Jason Campbell and Drew Stanton, Sanchez is a viable option for a team looking for a seasoned backup and who may have the potential for a QB opening if their shaky starter doesn't pan out.
    Crash...if this can happen...this will be what's best for the Jets indeed.

Make it happen new GM...who ever you may be.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad Sanchez won't re structure his contract like Brady and Manning did to stay cap competitive. Ironic that he would have more weapons at his disposal if he did but would likely be cut without the leverage.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Too bad Sanchez won't re structure his contract like Brady and Manning did to stay cap competitive. Ironic that he would have more weapons at his disposal if he did but would likely be cut without the leverage.
    He'd be dumb to do anything in my opinion.

I'd do just what Gomer Pyle did when Harley Earl stuck that Jelly donut in his mouth.

Eat it.

Then I'd flip them all off and retire after the contract was up with a goal to fly around the world and have sex with a woman from every country outside of giant health risk areas.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    How do you know what he'd do? My guess is that he'd cut his salary significantly just to GTFO of Dodge. He's made a boat load of money and will still make a hefty sum this year. If he could take a pay cut of $2m that facilitates a trade to somewhere he'd want to go, rather than be a 3rd stringer and punching bag in NY, my guess is that he'd do it. Getting paid $6m instead of $8m is worth it when he gets to take the next step in his career a year early.

He has to know that his time he is pretty much over and he'd be dead man walking in 2013 if he stayed. Plus, I'm guessing the booing gets to him and if you were at the Cards game, the booing was as loud as I've ever heard a Jets crowd boo its own team. Almost uncomfortable.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    Garbage pop psychology. Jets fans will look to any and every excuse to explain away a poor season. It was Schotty's fault. It was Tebow's fault. It was Sparano's fault. It was because of injuries. Someone or something has to take the fall, because admitting the team sucked simply because they sucked is a reality that is too difficult to handle for some.
    There's a reason for everything. If it was lack of talent (hence the suckiness), then there's a reason for that too (Mike T.). Comprende' Amigo?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Jets will either keep him or cut him. No one will want to trade for him b/c they will either do without, or wait for the Jets to cut him.