Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quinton Coples - Year 1 review

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quinton Coples - Year 1 review

What are your thoughts on Q's rookie season? 5.5 sacks, and didn't even play a ton. Im excited.. him and Mo....

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    What are your thoughts on Q's rookie season? 5.5 sacks, and didn't even play a ton. Im excited.. him and Mo....
    With all the OLBs still left on the board when we picked, I was like WTF? Now, after his first season I like this pick.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The kid has real talent and stepped up his game as the light went on. It would be good if he could add some quality weight perhaps 10 - 15 lbs to aid his stoutness against the run.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Liked his first year a lot, still think he's being held back by not being in a 4-3.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    agree ^^^

solid player who will improve with playing time.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the upside with Coples, add a serviceable pass-rushing OLB in the draft this year and more depth at LB/OLB and our front 7 will look really good

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far so good. Needs to be able to play every down to reach full potential. But he has to earn that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's only going to be a good player for us if he gets the chance to play. That did not happen this season. Sometimes I wonder if Rex believes in the theory that the best players should play? He seems caught up with respecting and having loyalty toward players who are dropping off.

He must learn from this season or else he won't be here.

The best players should play and that means anyone whether they are rookie UDFA's or established and highly paid veterans.

With that said, I believe Coples will be a starter this season. Lets see what he can do with a full season of snaps.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    He's only going to be a good player for us if he gets the chance to play. That did not happen this season. Sometimes I wonder if Rex believes in the theory that the best players should play? He seems caught up with respecting and having loyalty toward players who are dropping off.

He must learn from this season or else he won't be here.

The best players should play and that means anyone whether they are rookie UDFA's or established and highly paid veterans.

With that said, I believe Coples will be a starter this season. Lets see what he can do with a full season of snaps.
    Well DeVito is going, so I would think that he would fill his spot. With the loss of Scott, Pace and Thomas the defense is going to be very young next year

Veteran
    Clark University, by way of West Orange, NJ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very happy with the pick. One thing that I really like about him is that he's incredibly strong. When he gets his hands on a running back, they go down at the point of contact. He doesn't get dragged. He got his sacks and pass pressures without any real pass rushing moves; he just relied on natural ability. If he can learn one or two moves, he can turn in to a great pass rusher.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    In limited playing time, Coples had 5.5 sacks and 8 TFL.

Some guys have a special ability to beat their man and make a living in the backfield. Quinton Coples is one of those guys.

Also, having Karl Dunbar develop him is the right way to do things. Great pick and he's gotten the right coaching so far.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He got better and better as the year went on and he got more time. Excited in the progression he and mo made this year. Pouha and Ellis in the middle rotation and we are looking good on the d line

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by njherdfan View Post
    Very happy with the pick. One thing that I really like about him is that he's incredibly strong. When he gets his hands on a running back, they go down at the point of contact. He doesn't get dragged. He got his sacks and pass pressures without any real pass rushing moves; he just relied on natural ability. If he can learn one or two moves, he can turn in to a great pass rusher.
    +1

Strong as an ox. There's no need for him to bulk up and lose quickness. At his size, he has a huge quickness advantage over OL. He's also crazy country boy strong, so he doesn't get overpowered by OL.

The best play I saw from a Jet player this year is when he grabbed Gore behind the LOS with ONE hand and slammed Gore to the ground. Gore was stopped dead in his tracks and went down hard. That's the kind of freak **** you can't teach.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Well DeVito is going, so I would think that he would fill his spot. With the loss of Scott, Pace and Thomas the defense is going to be very young next year
    And I see no reason why that is necessary? I agree Devito is likely wearing a Patsy jersey next season and haunting us, but WHY should that happen?

Devito is homegrown talent that isn't asking for top dollar. He could easily be signed for lesser money and be a great second string player for us. He'd be a great part of our DL rotation.

The fact is, as much as I like Mike Devito, Coples has surpassed him and is more deserving of starting, but I will never be able to see the logic in letting Devito go to our most hated rival, especially when Devito is still a very good player in his own right.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.GangGreen28 View Post
    I really like the upside with Coples, add a serviceable pass-rushing OLB in the draft this year and more depth at LB/OLB and our front 7 will look really good
    Mingo, Jordan or Ansah should be there at 9, Jets will finally get that ace pass rusher since Abe.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AceBoy View Post
    Mingo, Jordan or Ansah should be there at 9, Jets will finally get that ace pass rusher since Abe.
    you like the word Ace, eh?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    you like the word Ace, eh?
    Yes.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's going to improve, just like Wilkerson did. Couple of solid pieces on the d line and it will be great. This will help our next coming of younger linebackers.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    The best play I saw from a Jet player this year is when he grabbed Gore behind the LOS with ONE hand and slammed Gore to the ground. Gore was stopped dead in his tracks and went down hard. That's the kind of freak **** you can't teach.
    That was awesome, sadly it was lost in the mix of that crapshow of a game.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Jetlifer on the bulking up. He's young and his body has a little more weight to put on.