Thread: Pete Carmichael should be on our OC list

Pete Carmichael should be on our OC list

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Contracts of Saints OC Pete Carmichael and former interim HC Aaron Kromer both expired after this season, making them coaching free agents.
    I wouldn't mind having Carmichael as our OC.

I mean the offense has been marvelous down in NO. If he could bring a fraction of that over to NY, we'd be in a very good position.

It's marvelous, because the Saints have one of the top 3 QBs in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    This. Lets bring in the OC for the Pats, Broncos and Packers while we are at it.

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post

I mean the offense has been marvelous down in NO. If he could bring a fraction of that over to NY, we'd be in a very good position.
    I'd sign up for that if we also get Chase Daniel from the Saints to compete for the starting QB job. He already knows the Offense.

Brees didn't look like an elite QB in SD.

No doubt he's great, but the system elevated him to some extent

Brees didn't look like an elite QB in SD.

No doubt he's great, but the system elevated him to some extent
    It's Sean Payton's system, he calls the plays when he's not coordinating bounties.

Carmichael is just a "yes man", much like Pettine is for Rex.

Getting a HC interview with the Bears. I posted an article in yesterday's Tweets thread about an overview of his play calling this yr with Payton out.

It's Sean Payton's system, he calls the plays when he's not coordinating bounties.

Carmichael runs show

It was assumed Payton would resume calling plays for the Saints' high-powered offense when his broken leg mended and he returned to the sideline in mid-November. Payton, after all, is widely regarded as one of the game's foremost offensive wizards, and he had called every play during his first six seasons with the Saints.

But the Saints surged offensively in Payton's absence, and to his credit, he selflessly ceded the duties to Carmichael for the good of continuity.

Payton continues to have final say and remains heavily involved during games, offering suggestions on almost every series, as do Kromer and quarterbacks coach Joe Lombardi. But it's Carmichael's voice that's in Drew Brees' ear. And it's Carmichael's mind that is cataloguing and creating the on-field rhythm.

"We're on a roll, and obviously he's doing a great job -- not just a good job, he's doing a great job," Brees said. "I think we all feel comfortable with the way the dynamics have been here the last 10 weeks."

What's not to like?

The Saints' offense shattered several NFL records this season, including the league mark for most yards in a season. They set a club record with 617 yards in their regular season finale against the Panthers. A week later they set an NFL postseason record with 626 yards against the Lions. They'll enter Saturday's NFC divisional playoff game against the San Francisco 49ers with a streak of four games with at least 40 or more points.

In a results-oriented business, those accomplishments are hard to ignore. NFL general managers surely have taken notice.
    http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf...ay-caller.html

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I'd sign up for that if we also get Chase Daniel from the Saints to compete for the starting QB job. He already knows the Offense.
    Chase is like 5'2". he can wallow down in New Orleans and then go up to Canada and play for the Alouettes.

You know that Carmichael took over the team last year when Payton was hurt and has been in charge of the plays this year with Payton out. And the offense hasn't really missed a beat.

He may not be the genius that Payton is, but he's no slouch when it comes to playcalling.

It's like Joe Philbin. We all know Mike McCarthy was calling the plays in GB, but Philbin knows offense as well

You know that Carmichael took over the team last year when Payton was hurt and has been in charge of the plays this year with Payton out. And the offense hasn't really missed a beat.

He may not be the genius that Payton is, but he's no slouch when it comes to playcalling.

It's like Joe Philbin. We all know Mike McCarthy was calling the plays in GB, but Philbin knows offense as well

Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    Chase is like 5'2". he can wallow down in New Orleans and then go up to Canada and play for the Alouettes.
    listed as 6'0", probably 5'10.5". We're not talking about a franchise QB, we're just talking about someone capable of reading a D and making (positive) plays.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by I against I View Post
    He went to the same HS as Greg McElroy. It'll be a reunion!

Why would carmichael take a lateral move to be our OC....especially when he might get a HC offer?

Exactly.. It's amazing how many suckers want to hire these coaches with hall of fame QB's running their offense.

Get the guy that has ordinary players playing above their head.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Why would carmichael take a lateral move to be our OC....especially when he might get a HC offer?
    Same reason Pettine will be leaving. That isn't Carmichael's offense. It's Payton's.