Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Person's Plan to Fix this franchise in 24 Months

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

One Person's Plan to Fix this franchise in 24 Months

2013:
    *Choose a General Manager that understands player personnel as well as the salary cap.
    *Have the General Manager choose a head coach that he feels comfortable with; that matches his vision for the type of team he wants going forward.
    *trade out of the 8th position into the 20s and pick up another #1 pick in 2014 in the process (as well as an extra 3rd/4th round pick this season). The team needs so much help that they will still be able to draft players that fill needs in 2013-if they draft correctly.
    *spend the 2013 offseason shedding the absurd contracts that our former cap-genius GM wrote.

The Jets will not be competing for a championship next season whether they try to or not so they can use the 2013 season to set themselves up for the following;

2014:
    *the Jets will be flush with cash to spend.
    *Have two first round draft picks (at least one of which will be very high) in a draft with a few potential franchise players. They very well could have the ammunition to move into a position to draft one of them.

There is some risk involved in this plan and the franchise must be right on the GM hire and head coach. There is also a reasonable chance that they might still not be able to obtain one of the elite prospects in the 2014 draft.

However this plan will put the Jets in a superior cap position going forward and the ability to still be in a favorable position in the draft to choose quality players in 2014. You will also have a GM and coach that will be on the same page as opposed to a GM who wants to think long term trying to coexist with a coach (Ryan) who will be fired if the Jets are not successful in 2013.

That is how you make this franchise successful again and for a long period of time. It takes patience and the ability to tune out the fans to a degree as well as the lap-dog media. I do feel that Ryan's resume should afford him the opportunity of another season but the circumstances of where this franchise is right now does not make him a correct fit. Therefore, sweeping changes need to be made.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-03-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think we have to keep a first round pick this year. I'm willing to trade down in the later first round but that won't fetch us a first round pick next year I don't think. Unless we swap with a 24-30 but I don't see us doing that. I think if we trade down it will be a 15-20 which will get us 2nd 3rd round picks plus swapped first round.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting OP but it still doesn't solve the ONLY real problem the Jets have.

No QB -

I don't follow a lot of college football but from what I hear there isn't a legit franchise QB in this years draft and only one in next years (which will go number 1)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    It takes patience and the ability to tune out the fans to a degree as well as the lap-dog media. I do feel that Ryan's resume should afford him the opportunity of another season but the circumstances of where this franchise is right now does not make him a correct fit. Therefore, sweeping changes need to be made.
    You are right on the money with so many points in your post. Unfortunately this is everything the owner is not. The owner has had much of his fortune handed to him and it seems it is similar to the way he runs his team.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    2013:
    *Choose a General Manager that understands player personnel as well as the salary cap.
    *Have the General Manager choose a head coach that he feels comfortable with; that matches his vision for the type of team he wants going forward.
    *trade out of the 8th position into the 20s and pick up another #1 pick in 2014 in the process (as well as extra 3rd/4th round picks this season). The team needs so much help that they will still be able to draft players that fill needs in 2013-if they draft correctly.
    *spend the 2013 offseason shedding the absurd contracts that our former cap-genius GM wrote.

The Jets will not be competing for a championship next season whether they try to or not so they can use the 2013 season to set themselves up for the following;

2014:
    *the Jets will be flush with cash to spend.
    *Have two first round draft picks (at least one of which will be very high) in a draft with a few potential franchise players. They very well could have the ammunition to move into a position to draft one of them.

There is some risk involved in this plan and the franchise must be right on the GM hire and head coach. There is also a reasonable chance that they might still not be able to obtain one of the elite prospects in the 2014 draft.

However this plan will put the Jets in a superior cap position going forward and the ability to still be in a favorable position in the draft to choose quality players in 2014. You will also have a GM and coach that will be on the same page as opposed to a GM who wants to think long term trying to coexist with a coach (Ryan) who will be fired if the Jets are not successful in 2013.

That is how you make this franchise successful again and for a long period of time. It takes patience and the ability to tune out the fans to a degree as well as the lap-dog media. I do feel that Ryan's resume should afford him the opportunity of another season but the circumstances of where this franchise is right now does not make him a correct fit. Therefore, sweeping changes need to be made.
    My name is Woody Johnson and I dont give a hoot what you think.

I want to bang hookers and sell PSL's.

Go back and get your shine box and give me a plan that does that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who you gonna trade back with to pick up that extra 2014 pick?

Most drafties consider the top end of this draft to be mediocre. I'm sure good teams at the back end of the first round are going to be lining up to trade away future picks to obtain some marginally better player than where they're picking.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    Interesting OP but it still doesn't solve the ONLY real problem the Jets have.

No QB -

I don't follow a lot of college football but from what I hear there isn't a legit franchise QB in this years draft and only one in next years (which will go number 1)
    Anyone who thinks that QB is the Jets' ONLY real problem is delusional.
    We have a crappy O-Line, no feature RB, no receivers that anyone fears, a TE who can catch and a TE who can block but no TE who can do both, no OLBs and a possible need for 2 safeties if Landry and Bell are not resigned.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    Who you gonna trade back with to pick up that extra 2014 pick?

Most drafties consider the top end of this draft to be mediocre. I'm sure good teams at the back end of the first round are going to be lining up to trade away future picks to obtain some marginally better player than where they're picking.
    Come draft day there will be enough buzz surrounding these prospects that someone will fall in love with a player in a position of need and look to come up. There are enough good players in this draft even if there is not a franchise player available. Also, remember that not all the teams are run like the Steelers or Patriots. And don't forget that trading up in the draft has become a lot less cost prohibitive since the new collective bargaining agreement.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-03-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Come draft day there will be enough buzz surrounding these prospects that someone will fall in love with a player in a position of need and look to come up. There are good players available in this draft even if there is not a franchise player available. And not all the teams are run like the Steelers or Patriots. And don't forget that trading up in the draft has become a lot less cost prohibitive since the new collective bargaining agreement.
    Right.

...and those teams are picking up top with us.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right.

...and those teams are picking up top with us.
    well weren't we one of those teams picking in those spots less then 24 months ago?
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-03-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    well weren't we one of those teams picking in those spots less then 24 months ago, no?
    touche'.

So... you're plan is to hope somebody is dumber than the Jets?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    im so glad this hypothetical person won't be running the jets

trading down especially in a weak draft does not insure success.

Teams often burned by trading down

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1541913

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    One fo the great Fan Fallicies, thats is just sooooo easy to trade down and collect a bagful of picks.

Sure, we'll just drop down, collect someones 1st rounder (why would they not want to give that away, doesn't everyone?) and give us a few 3rds to boot! It's win/win!

Sadly, it's just not that easy in the real world. Made much less easy in what is a rather average draft class coming up.

Secondly, assuming we'll be bad, in the day and age of the NFL, is a huge assumption. There is no rebuilding in the NFL now, there is only year to year, and players and Coaches do not "tank" seasons by choice, no matter how much fans may desire it.

Much of the OP is good, alot of it is obvious (I lol'ed at the "select a GM who understands player personnel as well as the salary cap", as if we would cosnciously choose a new GM who doesn't understand players and doesn't even know the league runs a cap, lol).

The ebst point is a simple one, whomever the new GM Is, the Head Coach should be who HE wants, and the 2013 QB should be who he wants. Rex or not. Sanchez or not. Thats whay he's the GM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    touche'.

So... you're plan is to hope somebody is as dumb as the Jets?

LOL,

Yes.....and there are a lot of candidates out there drafting behind us with a recent history of poor drafting.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    During the Draft you sometimes need to make quick decisions on deals; however, we should go into this draft with intentions of improving our Offense and replacing Bart Scott.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    During the Draft you sometimes need to make quick decisions on deals; however, we should go into this draft with intentions of improving our Offense and replacing Bart Scott.
    Replace Bart Scott with a decent lunchpail guy in FA or with DeMario Davis. We do not need to be drafting his replacement in early rounds. That's the thing, the money and picks on this team should be spent on offense, especially if Ryan is still the coach. Ryan is supposed to be a defensive genius, so why the hell do we need to keep investing high draft picks on defensive players? There is no reason this defense can't be successful with McIntyre, Davis, Harris, and a lunchpail replacement for Pace. Especially if both Revis and Cro are still here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    One fo the great Fan Fallicies, thats is just sooooo easy to trade down and collect a bagful of picks.

Sure, we'll just drop down, collect someones 1st rounder (why would they not want to give that away, doesn't everyone?) and give us a few 3rds to boot! It's win/win!

Sadly, it's just not that easy in the real world. Made much less easy in what is a rather average draft class coming up.

Secondly, assuming we'll be bad, in the day and age of the NFL, is a huge assumption. There is no rebuilding in the NFL now, there is only year to year, and players and Coaches do not "tank" seasons by choice, no matter how much fans may desire it.

Much of the OP is good, alot of it is obvious (I lol'ed at the "select a GM who understands player personnel as well as the salary cap", as if we would cosnciously choose a new GM who doesn't understand players and doesn't even know the league runs a cap, lol).

The ebst point is a simple one, whomever the new GM Is, the Head Coach should be who HE wants, and the 2013 QB should be who he wants. Rex or not. Sanchez or not. Thats whay he's the GM.
    I never said it was soooooooo easy to trade down but it is doable especially after the last collective bargaining agreement. Here is some proof from last year;

All told, teams that held six of the first seven draft slots this year traded out of them, in a flurry of activity that eventually encompassed nine of the first 15 spots in the first round, and 14 of 32 slots overall. In other words, nearly half of the round made a move.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2GvsrsrV6

Also, I did not intimate that I was expecting to net "a bag full" of picks by trading down. Going down from 8 to 22 (as an example) to pick up a 1 next season and a 3rd/4th this season is not out of the realm of possibility. The draft is void of franchise players but by most accounts that I have read, there is good talent to be had (please do not forget the juniors that declare).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...uld-go-in-rd-1

As for my solution being obvious; in sports, as in life, its often the simplest answers that are usually the right ones. You would think it would be obvious to employee a general manager with experience in personnel and salary cap management. Obvious, except to the Jets who failed to do that very thing with our last general manager hire.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-03-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Anyone who thinks that QB is the Jets' ONLY real problem is delusional.
    We have a crappy O-Line, no feature RB, no receivers that anyone fears, a TE who can catch and a TE who can block but no TE who can do both, no OLBs and a possible need for 2 safeties if Landry and Bell are not resigned.
    It may not be our only problem, but it is our biggest one and its not even close. There are other flaws on this team, but if we could guarantee QB play of a bit above competent, we would contend for the playoffs.

If we luck into a QB this draft in the 2nd - 4th round, a major part of our problems are over.

You can revamp a roster at most any position in one year. Finding a decent QB, however, is a crap shoot and can take years.
    Last edited by crasherino; 01-03-2013 at 12:20 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    im so glad this hypothetical person won't be running the jets

trading down especially in a weak draft does not insure success.

Teams often burned by trading down

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1541913
    right because getting out of salary cap hell and building the roster through the draft is awful. Its also ridiculous to desire that our GM and head coach be on the same page.

http://commonsense.com/ShouldBObvious
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 01-03-2013 at 12:23 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never said it was soooooooo easy to trade down but it is doable especially after the last collective bargaining agreement. Here is some proof from last year;

All told, teams that held six of the first seven draft slots this year traded out of them, in a flurry of activity that eventually encompassed nine of the first 15 spots in the first round, and 14 of 32 slots overall. In other words, nearly half of the round made a move.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2GvsrsrV6

Also, I did not intimate that I was expecting to net "a bag full" of picks by trading down. Going down from 8 to 22 (as an example) to pick up a 1 next season and a 3rd/4th this season is not out of the realm of possibility. The draft is void of franchise players but by most accounts that I have read, there is good talent to be had (please do not forget the juniors that declare).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...uld-go-in-rd-1

As for my solution being obvious; in sports, as in life, its often the simplest answers that are usually the right ones. You would think it would be obvious to employee a general manager with experience in personnel and salary cap management. Obvious, except to the Jets who failed to do that very thing with our last general manager hire.
    If the new GM came in with a plan (See Donnie Walsh and the Knicks) which basically assumes the 2013 season to be a down one then anything is possible. People say that coaches wont tank a season. They are correct. But a savvy GM can dump a bunch of contracts, take the cap hit in 2013, make some trade backs in the draft that net extra picks in 2014, and potentially set the team up for a decade of success. The key is to use the extra picks to get the elusive franchise QB.

Our GM will have cover to make these kinds of moves. Tanny did not have that luxury. If in 2014 he feels that Rex can't get the job done they can start fresh with a new staff.