Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Former Cleveland Browns GM Tom Heckert pursued by Jets

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Shad Khan also wants Tebow. He's a meddling son of a *****, and I'm sure Gamble doesn't want that.
    That's the block from going to Jacksonville. The GM/HC is going to have to be a Tebowite.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    That's the block from going to Jacksonville. The GM/HC is going to have to be a Tebowite.
    Precisely. Ironically, the first time Tebow contributed to the team would be after the season is over. lol.
    Last edited by McGinley; 01-02-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/1/...-tomsula-49ers

Shad Khan is telling GM candidates they can bring their own coach with them. Tom Gamble's guy seems to be Jim Tomsula.
    So, would those that want Rex out, want it done at all costs if it involves a guy that's been a coach since 98?

Tomsula has "only" been coaching since 1998, but something about him strikes me as head coaching material. He commands the respect of players, and with the right staff supporting him, I have a hunch he could be an excellent head coach. And of course, he has a 1-0 career record as an NFL head coach, so there's always that!
    Maybe this guy is the next Belichick, but that is his resume, that's the guy SOJF who want Rex gone would be ok with?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good grief, Heckert even looks like Tanny. Bad sign.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by N Y J View Post
    Former Cleveland Browns GM Tom Heckert pursued by Jets* wow I botched that title. is it possible to fix this title?
    done.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So basically the open jobs are carolina, jets, chargers, arizona and jacksonville.

Candidates are gamble, ross, heckert, caldwell and ???

I dont see it happening, but i honestly would be ok with heckert...he built a strong locker room in Cleveland and found some mid round talent in mitchell schwartz and specifically jabaal sheard.

If Ross goes with carolina and heckert to Arizona with Reid, then that leaves Caldwell and Gamble for us. Going to get dicey if one of these guys gets scooped up by jacks or SD.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shad Khan also wants Tebow. He's a meddling son of a *****, and I'm sure Gamble doesn't want that. Also, isn't Gamble from NY? Could be enticing to come back home.
    Gamble's from PA and spent a lot of time in Europe.

I'd take Gamble and Tomsula over some slouch and Rex.

As for Heckert, his problem in Cleveland isn't their draft history, but rather their free agent pursuing. They have had a top 10 defense the last few years, alongside the best LT and a top five C and now Richardson, but they've never had anything at WR until this season, or at QB, and Weeden is still a question mark that is now, without Schumur, blowing in the wind. That team wasn't far off this season. Even though they went 5-11 I believe they lost 6 or 7 games by a touchdown or less.

Then again, Heckert's also the guy who passed on RGIII and Julio Jones, who could have had this Cleveland team at 11-5.
    Last edited by 124; 01-02-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    We're all homers on some level. lol

The Chargers are a threat to land Gamble...he wouldn't have to uproot his family and he'd have the opportunity to bring in his own guy to be the HC.
    I don't know about that. Its not like he's an UDFA not sure if he'll stick with the team and will spend the season in a hotel room. A GM has a minimum stint of 3 years and probably more. I doubt he'd move over 500 miles down to SD and not take his family with him.

Its almost the same as saying Marc Ross wouldn't have to uproot his family if he went to the Panthers except that SD and SF happen to be in the same state.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a product of bad coaching. Brought in the likes of Gordon, Richardson, Haden, and etc. He wouldn't be a bad hire with decent cap space.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by N Y J View Post
    while they have a decent team, it's no question that I'd rather have Ross. They consistently hit on picks all while drafting from the bottom of drafts. Imagine what he'd do with higher picks. Seems like every player they draft contributes.
    Oh really? seems to me they hit on a few here and there just like the Jets. The Giants just don't have Mark Sanchez leading their offense. Coughlin is a better coach than Rex but he has had way more time to get to this point also.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Gamble's from PA and spent a lot of time in Europe.

I'd take Gamble and Tomsula over some slouch and Rex.

As for Heckert, his problem in Cleveland isn't their draft history, but rather their free agent pursuing. They have had a top 10 defense the last few years, alongside the best LT and a top five C and now Richardson, but they've never had anything at WR until this season, or at QB, and Weeden is still a question mark that is now, without Schumur, blowing in the wind. That team wasn't far off this season. Even though they went 5-11 I believe they lost 6 or 7 games by a touchdown or less.

Then again, Heckert's also the guy who passed on RGIII and Julio Jones, who could have had this Cleveland team at 11-5.
    He tried getting RG3 by offering their two first round picks last year and a second. And 11-5 in the AFC North with RG3? With those defenses? He wouldn't survive the experience I suspect.

I still think the Rams got the better end of that deal; time will tell.

Edit: there was article in Cleveland that alluded to the fact that the previous owner didn't want them spending big money on free agents so the books were relatively clean for whoever he sold the team to.
    Last edited by Schadenfreude; 01-02-2013 at 12:49 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ross sucks... Look at those drafts. People are just so blind to results and ignore the fact that Ross lucked into having Eli at QB.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, because Cleveland has really been stock-piling talent over the years. Smart move.
    I know, right?

Hey, Matt Millen is available. If you want the Jets to draft a WR for Sanchez, he's your guy!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wepnx View Post
    Oh really? seems to me they hit on a few here and there just like the Jets. The Giants just don't have Mark Sanchez leading their offense. Coughlin is a better coach than Rex but he has had way more time to get to this point also.
    You're not looking at all the role players they bring in. Every draft every player is used. Hell three of our picks were released before the season started this year. That's not good drafting

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Heckert on Jets GM list RT @RapSheet Andy Reid telling Chiefs owner Clark Hunt he will bring ex-Browns GM Tom Heckert with him to KC #nyj