Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if we tried this

What if we tried this

Give me some input on this approach. As you all know our window is closing fast, we've been an older team and are also wasting our premier players prime years. So we have to act fast. This is one way I personally think that gives us an opportunity to compete while still rebuilding.

Getting Gamble or Ross is essential. Rather have Gamble but if we don't get him or Ross I would consider it a loss for us.

Getting Norv Turner for OC. Despite what people say he does a good job with develop QBs and probably the next best with that available when you consider how good Reid is with how he develops every QB he drafts and shipping them off for picks.

Signing a veteran QB like Matt Moore to a one year or 2 year deal. He is a great leader and an underrated player. He instantly makes us a competitive team.

I think drafting a QB in this years draft (despite the lack of talent) is essential. Either trading down and gathering more picks and picking up Murray in the 2nd or 3rd round is the way to go. Since he is projected 2nd/3rd round you probably bet your bottom dollar after the combine his stock and his bowl game will rise from 2nd/3rd to probably just 2nd round MAYBE low 1st. I am willing to pick him early on day 2. I think Murray will surprise a lot of people and hope he is with us next year.

Having not necessarily an open battle with Matt and Aaron in camp, but a competitive competition with Matt starting out number 1 on the depth chart. Unless Aaron completely outplays Matt, start Moore. Kind of like the Seattle situation when you had Flynn considered the favorite until Wilson outplayed him significantly.

If this fails and Murray and Moore are failures then we are slated with another top pick and can spend that anyway we want. Either on Teddy, Manziel or Clowney. We will be free to draft a QB on day one early with limited risk because Murray and Moore won't handicap us with their contracts with Murray being a day 2 pick and Moore having a small contract.

I don't know how you guys feel about this approach but I think this is one way I would not totally be against. Obviously this is a lot of what ifs and won't happen but I see a lot of hypotheticals out there and I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. I'm just another internet GM haha.

Quote Originally Posted by N Y J View Post
    Give me some input on this approach. As you all know our window is closing fast, we've been an older team and are also wasting our premier players prime years. So we have to act fast. This is one way I personally think that gives us an opportunity to compete while still rebuilding.

Getting Gamble or Ross is essential. Rather have Gamble but if we don't get him or Ross I would consider it a loss for us.

Getting Norv Turner for OC. Despite what people say he does a good job with develop QBs and probably the next best with that available when you consider how good Reid is with how he develops every QB he drafts and shipping them off for picks.

Signing a veteran QB like Matt Moore to a one year or 2 year deal. He is a great leader and an underrated player. He instantly makes us a competitive team.

I think drafting a QB in this years draft (despite the lack of talent) is essential. Either trading down and gathering more picks and picking up Murray in the 2nd or 3rd round is the way to go. Since he is projected 2nd/3rd round you probably bet your bottom dollar after the combine his stock and his bowl game will rise from 2nd/3rd to probably just 2nd round MAYBE low 1st. I am willing to pick him early on day 2. I think Murray will surprise a lot of people and hope he is with us next year.

Having not necessarily an open battle with Matt and Aaron in camp, but a competitive competition with Matt starting out number 1 on the depth chart. Unless Aaron completely outplays Matt, start Moore. Kind of like the Seattle situation when you had Flynn considered the favorite until Wilson outplayed him significantly.

If this fails and Murray and Moore are failures then we are slated with another top pick and can spend that anyway we want. Either on Teddy, Manziel or Clowney. We will be free to draft a QB on day one early with limited risk because Murray and Moore won't handicap us with their contracts with Murray being a day 2 pick and Moore having a small contract.

I don't know how you guys feel about this approach but I think this is one way I would not totally be against. Obviously this is a lot of what ifs and won't happen but I see a lot of hypotheticals out there and I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. I'm just another internet GM haha.
    It's been reported by the SanDiego Tribune that Norv has no interest in working for the Jets. Could that change? possibly....but i wouldn't get my hopes up.

And I stopped reading after you said drafting a QB in this upcoming draft is essential. It's not. In fact, it's quite the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post
    It's been reported by the SanDiego Tribune that Norv has no interest in working for the Jets. Could that change? possibly....but i wouldn't get my hopes up.

And I stopped reading after you said drafting a QB in this upcoming draft is essential. It's not. In fact, it's quite the opposite.
    So if there is no reason to draft a QB this year, who do you envision being the QB of the jets in 2013 and more specifically 2014?

Can you give some type of a plan to why drafting and developing a QB is not necessary for the franchise in its current state.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    So if there is no reason to draft a QB this year, who do you envision being the QB of the jets in 2013 and more specifically 2014?

Can you give some type of a plan to why drafting and developing a QB is not necessary for the franchise in its current state.
    Oh, i never said it wasn't necessary. Just not with the 2013 crop of QB garbage in the upcoming draft.

I'd rather watch Sanchez fail one more year, and then go after Teddy Bridgewater or Derek Carr in the 2014 draft.

By that point, Rex will be put out to pasture for the 2013 sh!tfest....and the Jets should be ready to giver in 2014.

Jets Insider VIP
    Why would Miami trade him. I think he starts over Henne.......no?

I think drafting a QB in the first round is not essential, but why not draft a qb in the 2nd or 3rd round? We need to start fresh again with the Sanchez era behind us. Every year teams are turning around their franchises with a young QB and while this years class doesn't compete with last years we really can't waste another year. This class, although no sure fire QBs, is littered with promising Qbs. Murray, Boyd, Bray, Glennon who knows. I do like Murray though a lot.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

The window isn't closing. It closed. Last December actually.

Next idea!

Quote Originally Posted by N Y J View Post
    I think drafting a QB in the first round is not essential, but why not draft a qb in the 2nd or 3rd round? We need to start fresh again with the Sanchez era behind us. Every year teams are turning around their franchises with a young QB and while this years class doesn't compete with last years we really can't waste another year. This class, although no sure fire QBs, is littered with promising Qbs. Murray, Boyd, Bray, Glennon who knows. I do like Murray though a lot.
    If we draft a QB in the 2013 draft, we're screwed for the next 5 years. I'm going on record saying this.

I'll gladly eat crow if i'm wrong, but i know i'm right about that for 2 reasons:

1) There is nobody on the Jets offensive staff that can develop a QB. Until that changes, it won't matter who is drafted at QB.

2) Franchise QBs are required to be successful. Not everybody has a Russell Wilson, and Russell Wilson type players are few and far between. I'd rather go with a potential franchise QB, then some project that may or may not develop.

If we draft a QB in the 2013 draft, we're screwed for the next 5 years. I'm going on record saying this.

I'll gladly eat crow if i'm wrong, but i know i'm right about that for 2 reasons:

1) There is nobody on the Jets offensive staff that can develop a QB. Until that changes, it won't matter who is drafted at QB.

2) Franchise QBs are required to be successful. Not everybody has a Russell Wilson, and Russell Wilson type players are few and far between. I'd rather go with a potential franchise QB, then some project that may or may not develop.
    The point is that no one in the 2012 draft knew that russel wilson was russel wilson....he was a QB who had great intangibles, was accurate and had a strong arm, but had a big red flag that caused him to drop to the 3rd round.

Now in no way do I think we should spend a first round pick on a QB this season, but between Ryan Nassib, Aaron Murray, and Glennon (who will be gone by the end of the first) there are QBs in this draft, with strong arms, good athleticism and 1 red flag holding them back (specifically with Murray his height).

Taking one of these guys in the 2nd or 3rd round, in no way precludes us from taking Teddy #1 next year if 2013 turns into a complete disaster.

Overall though, just because 2014 should have some better QB prospects, doesnt mean we cant make a move this year. We have NO IDEA where we will finish in 2013 and if we will even have a shot at bridgewater.

Personally I think the chips have fallen pretty well for us in this draft. We can get a pass rusher at 9, and then take a shot on a QB with some red flags with our next pick and hopefully hit on it. If not we try again until we get the right guy here....

I'd rather see us trade back in the 1st for an extra 1st in 2014. With two 1st rounders we will have ammo to move up in 2014 and grab a blue chip QB. There are pass rushers galore in this seasons draft. If we can get one in the 20-30 range and still get the extra 2014 1st it would be ideal.

I wouldn't be against more than one trade back this draft either. Once we drop in to the 20's I would look for a second drop to early in the 2nd in exchange for an extra 2nd rounder this year or possible an extra 2nd rounder in 2014.

New England has done stuff like that for years. Its time we follow a successful format for drafting. 2013 is likely going to be a down year regardless. We still end up with a full slate of 2013 picks, with the 2 2nd round picks and our third we can grab an OLB, RB, and project QB. Fill out the rest of the draft with an OL, 2nd LB and S. Then when 2014 comes we are loaded with picks and ammo to move up for a blue chip QB if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    The window isn't closing. It closed. Last December actually.

Next idea!
    Lol, I thought this thread was bumped from a year ago.

All League
    Love Murray. Not sure he comes out though. Also not sure he'll last to our pick in the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Why would Miami trade him. I think he starts over Henne.......no?
    chad henne is the jacksonville jaguars starting qb he is no longer a miami dolphin hasnt been since the beginning of the 2012 season.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    chad henne is the jacksonville jaguars starting qb he is no longer a miami dolphin hasnt been since the beginning of the 2012 season.
    Maybe he missed the Jet/Jag game when Henne was the Jags QB??

Undrafted Free Agent
    Im still hoping for the old Sanchez/Flynn trade rumor to somehow happen. I have no interest in any QBs in the draft besides Geno Smith BUT he would need an amazing QB coach and OC to develop him. This Glennon kid and all of these 3rd round QBs and such seem like wastes of picks to me.

Undrafted Free Agent

+1

The thing is though, taking a Aaron Murray or a quarterback like him on day 2 is a medium to low risk. We will not be hurting our franchise for 5 years not even in the slightest. See that's the difference between taking a player top 10, you are stuck with him for at least 3-4 years. Take a guy in the 2nd round and you can just wash your hands with him after a year or two. Not much of a loss and start fresh again. It's definitely worth the gamble on Murray or whoever at that low risk.

And also, yes, there is no one on this staff that can develop a QB, nor will he be set up to succeed without a better line, rbs, and wide receivers. However, if we bring in a capable OC and some talent (I believe a core of Kerley, Holmes, Hill, Braylong and hopefully we find a RB and TE in the draft) is a good core that any young QB can succeed with. And certainly Moore could operate an offense with this group.

All League
    Here's what I'd like to see:

1. Cut Scott and Pace. Davis replaces Scott and draft a LB high to replace Pace. Worst case McIntyre starts.
    2. Re-sign Landry.
    3. Re-sign Braylon. Cut ties with Schilens and the Miami turd, whatever his name is.
    4. Sign Steven Jackson or try to get MJD, preferably Jackson. A stud rb covers up for a lot of weaknesses.
    5. Re-sign Keller short term if he is willing to be reasonable.
    6. Try to find a LG to replace Slauson.
    7. Lock up Malone. I think the Jets finally have a punter again.

Do not go crazy for free agents. Use the draft and keep as many quality in-house free agents as possible and let the junk go.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombo View Post
    Here's what I'd like to see:

1. Cut Scott and Pace. Davis replaces Scott and draft a LB high to replace Pace. Worst case McIntyre starts.
    2. Re-sign Landry.
    3. Re-sign Braylon. Cut ties with Schilens and the Miami turd, whatever his name is.
    4. Sign Steven Jackson or try to get MJD, preferably Jackson. A stud rb covers up for a lot of weaknesses.
    5. Re-sign Keller short term if he is willing to be reasonable.
    6. Try to find a LG to replace Slauson.
    7. Lock up Malone. I think the Jets finally have a punter again.

Do not go crazy for free agents. Use the draft and keep as many quality in-house free agents as possible and let the junk go.
    I bolded what I want and think will happen. I would also like to resign Slauson because I do not think we will find a better replacement without taking on risk. Slauson is slightly an above average guard and serviceable plus would come cheaper than most replacements. I think I'm ready to move on from Keller. He's completely one dimensional and he is barely ever healthy. Cumberland can play in his position and although not as quick can at least be a mildly adequate replacement until we find someone better.

Edit:

Also, I originally bolded 'sign Steven Jackson' but I'd rather have a cheaper RB like Felix Jones. Although he wouldn't be a full time starter like Steven likely would, he's younger and faster and would be a nice compliment to Powell. I do understand his health risk though.
    Last edited by N Y J; 01-03-2013 at 03:37 PM.