Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Melvin Ingram had 1 Sack This Season

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Somehow Coples managed to get almost 6X as many sacks as the incredible Melvin Ingram. And Coples primary job was occupying blockers as a 3-4 D-lineman.
    5.5 sacks is hardly something to be proud of as a 1st round pick. and his job was to rush the QB not to tie guys up. he's not even a starter. so lets all calm down, this guy isnt exactly jj watt in the making..everybody likes to think that because he's not as bad as gholston was

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    5.5 sacks is hardly something to be proud of as a 1st round pick. and his job was to rush the QB not to tie guys up. he's not even a starter. so lets all calm down, this guy isnt exactly jj watt in the making..everybody likes to think that because he's not as bad as gholston was
    So much pfail in this post, I don't even know where to begin.

Its a shame when posters stick by their stubbornness to discredit a player instead of admitting that their assessment of said player may have been askew.

Jets Insider VIP
    Even more amazing

One NFL team actually drafted the worst NFL.QB in history as a first rounder a few drafts ago...the Broncos I think

Now there is something not to be proud of doing

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Even more amazing

One NFL team actually drafted the worst NFL.QB in history as a first rounder a few drafts ago...the Broncos I think

Now there is something not to be proud of doing
    I was just thinking the same thing, lol.

Practice Squad
    For the record, Watt had 5.5 sacks in his rookie season as well -- same as Coples.

lol, first year watching football?

All Pro
    From a stats standpoint they had similar rookie years .. Not saying Coples is gonna have 20 sacks next year. But he is on the right track

Coples was only off my list because I never thought he would fall out of the top 5. I was on the Bruce Irvin bandwagon. I didn't like Jone. Ingram would have been an OK pick but he wasn't a beast like Coples. As far as DROY Barron was much better then I gave him credit for so I have to say him. The only pick I think we botched was Davis. He looks OK but I still can't believe we didn't take Massie. I would have also passed on Ganaway for Winn. Honestly I can't believe Winn fell that far I had him with a 2-3 round grade.

And this is why I cringe when people say "YOU WOULD TRADE UP FOR A DE IF YOU HAD THE FIRST PICK NEXT YEAR???!!!!" regarding JaDaveon Clowney.

Clowney is so damned good, demanding triple and double teams nearly every play, that Ingram was a first rounder SIMPLY BY PLAYING NEXT TO A FRESHMAN CLOWNEY.

Jets Insider VIP
    Why is there a 3 page thread on a san diego charger player?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Why is there a 3 page thread on a san diego charger player?
    Because last year most Jet fans were screaming for them to draft Ingram, and most were pissed when they chose Coples instead. Only for Coples to severely outplay Ingram.

This is basically an "eat crow" thread.

Jets Insider VIP
    Because last year most Jet fans were screaming for them to draft Ingram, and most were pissed when they chose Coples instead. Only for Coples to severely outplay Ingram.

This is basically an "eat crow" thread.
    Ok. Who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    And this is why I cringe when people say "YOU WOULD TRADE UP FOR A DE IF YOU HAD THE FIRST PICK NEXT YEAR???!!!!" regarding JaDaveon Clowney.

Clowney is so damned good, demanding triple and double teams nearly every play, that Ingram was a first rounder SIMPLY BY PLAYING NEXT TO A FRESHMAN CLOWNEY.
    Well, i think Ingram would have been a very good college player without the presence of Clowney. But yeah, Clowney is a once in a lifetime DE. I have been saying since before the Jets drafted Coples that he would be a stud, but I would trade 2 Coples to get 1 Clowney.

Ok. Who cares.
    Apparantly enough people care since this thread is 3 pages long already.

One reason people wanted to draft Ingram? He's more of an olb prospect than Coples. The Jets still have no one at olb in a system that relies on the position heavily. Coples looked very good and deserved more playing time but if they are going to stick him at 3-4 DE with occasional 4-3 DE/Dt then his total talents are being lessened. (The hazards of the hybrid defense).

The Jets must draft one or more likely two olbs this year. One huge fail of this front office is ignoring a looming need area until it is situation critical (See safety last year).

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Well, i think Ingram would have been a very good college player without the presence of Clowney. But yeah, Clowney is a once in a lifetime DE. I have been saying since before the Jets drafted Coples that he would be a stud, but I would trade 2 Coples to get 1 Clowney.
    4-3 Looks
    LE: Clowney,
    Nose: Ellis
    DT: Wilkerson
    RE: Coples

3-4 Looks:
    LE: Wilkerson
    DT: Ellis
    RE: Coples
    LOLB: Clowney

^ Top 3 defensive line for the next 10 years ^

If this could happen then I would be loving Rex Ryan as our head coach for the next few years. Even if the team itself was awful (which it probably will be until QB gets ironed out,) watching that Defensive line would be worth the price of my tickets.

Did Coples pass Jones in the sack category?

Jets Insider VIP
    Apparantly enough people care since this thread is 3 pages long already.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA. I cant argue with that.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Still mad we passed him up for Quinton Coples?
    To be fair weren't you clamoring to sign Mario Williams to a big contract?

Ok. Who cares.
    It absolutely matters...

Some people spout stuff here like it's a given, and don't want to see or even remember when they were wrong.

I preferred Ingram over Coples because I wasn't sure Coples had the constant effort level. It's clear that Coples has special pass rush abilities. To put up over 5 sacks in your rookie year despite not playing a ton of snaps is pretty impressive.

That said, I think Ingram will put it together. WIll be absolutely shocked if he doesn't turn into a 10 sack guy.