Thread: Tony Paige - Crap WFAN Overnight Guy

Tony Paige - Crap WFAN Overnight Guy

Remember the Glory Days of Boningo complaining about the Mets, Jets, Knicks and Rangers on overnights during the 90's and early 2000's? OMFG when I was in college staying up studying he made it a pleasure. Now we're stuck with this A-hole who does nothing but talk about Manny Pacquiao & obviously could care less about the teams you follow.

WFAN sucks. I get it. Good ol' boys club. Imus got 0 ratings for 20 years on the morning shift of the biggest sports station in the country and not only got away with it it was a big scandal when he finally got canned. But can they PLEASE put an actual fan of the local teams on overnights instead of some fake boxing groupie who knows nothing about the other sports and does the "yeah yeah" crap pretending to care?

Jets Insider VIP
    Are you kidding me? Tony Paige is far better than that troll Mark Malousis.
    I don't get the hate. Plus he seems to actually listen to his callers and treats them with respect.

All League
    One of those butt fumbles a few months ago was talking about the Jets and how Santana Moss was going to have to have a big week if the Jets were to win this week.

Awful.

Jets Insider VIP
    Disagree with just about everything.

Paige is a local guy who grew up in the Bronx and went to Taft HS. He likes boxing..you don't.

As for the glory days of overnight...those ended when the Schmoozer moved to daytime with Salzberg and the unlistenable unfunny and lame Joe from Saddle River moved from caller to host.

Third ..Imus

Well the facts are that FAN and sports radio in NYC were one step away from extinction and going to another format when they moved to 660. Imus generated a significant portion of the ratings and more than 80 % of the revenue that saved this from happening. He individually led FAN from just about gone to the number one billing radio station in America.

I think he is still outrating Boomer and Crapton on both radio and TV simulcasting

Jets Insider VIP
    I barely listen to sports radio anymore...just to little content and way to many commercials.

With that being said, I have to disagree with you. Tony is the man. He seems like one of the only guys on the channel that doesn't think sports is life and death. He also lets the callers talk for more than 15 seconds which is nice.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Remember the Glory Days of Boningo complaining about the Mets, Jets, Knicks and Rangers on overnights during the 90's and early 2000's? OMFG when I was in college staying up studying he made it a pleasure. Now we're stuck with this A-hole who does nothing but talk about Manny Pacquiao & obviously could care less about the teams you follow.

WFAN sucks. I get it. Good ol' boys club. Imus got 0 ratings for 20 years on the morning shift of the biggest sports station in the country and not only got away with it it was a big scandal when he finally got canned. But can they PLEASE put an actual fan of the local teams on overnights instead of some fake boxing groupie who knows nothing about the other sports and does the "yeah yeah" crap pretending to care?
    Imus got 0 ratings???

May want to recheck that statement. Like him or not, he single handedly saved WFAN by bringing in damn nearly all of its revenue. If not for him, FAN would have definitely failed.

I like tony Paige very down to earth. will actually let you finish your statement. Give him a call and rant on your favorite topic.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    Imus got 0 ratings???

May want to recheck that statement. Like him or not, he single handedly saved WFAN by bringing in damn nearly all of its revenue. If not for him, FAN would have definitely failed.
    Imus on WFAN recevied very poor ratings. For example in his last full year on WFAN in 2006 according to the Arbitron while he was nationally syndicated in over 90 cities he had just 1.6 million listeners. In comparison, Howard Stern the previous year had 8.6 million listeners despite getting shut out of major markets like Houston and Chicago by Clear Channel and/or the Religious Right.

Imus even went as far as to make up a lie a that even though he had low ratings the listeners he did have were the wealthiest, most powerful people in the world. That was debunked by the Scarborough Report. Boomer & Carton have more than doubled Imus's ratings and their show is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Are you kidding me? Tony Paige is far better than that troll Mark Malousis.
    They both suck and are unbearable. Paige is just flat out boring and does not care. Malousis is condescending and thinks he knows everything like a mini-Mike Fatcessa.

Yes, I don't like boxing. I'd rather watch the WNBA preseason. I don't like UFC either it looks like two losers in their underwear having sex in missionary position.

Jets Insider VIP
    From Wiki:

In 2005, Imus in the Morning was carried by about 90 radio stations across the United States,[2] although at the time of its 2007 CBS Radio/MSNBC cancellation it was carried by 61 stations.[3] Arbitron analysis put the program among the most listened to radio talk shows in the United States,[4] with about 1.6 million radio listeners per week.[5]
    In an April 26, 2005 article, David Kiley wrote in Business Week magazine that Imus in the Morning commanded higher advertising rates compared to competing talk shows with larger audiences, because the Imus show was less politically partisan and its demographics were "affluent, educated and influential men". Kiley also quoted former CBS News anchor and Face the Nation moderator Bob Schieffer as saying, "I donít know anyone in Washington who doesnít listen to Imus or watch him on TV. I get more feedback off my spots on Imus than from my own shows."[6] (This included the former Howard Stern terrestrial radio broadcast. In comparison, Stern attracted more than 8.25 million listeners on half as many stations and Rush Limbaugh attracts 13.5 million listeners).

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    From Wiki:

In 2005, Imus in the Morning was carried by about 90 radio stations across the United States,[2] although at the time of its 2007 CBS Radio/MSNBC cancellation it was carried by 61 stations.[3] Arbitron analysis put the program among the most listened to radio talk shows in the United States,[4] with about 1.6 million radio listeners per week.[5]
    In an April 26, 2005 article, David Kiley wrote in Business Week magazine that Imus in the Morning commanded higher advertising rates compared to competing talk shows with larger audiences, because the Imus show was less politically partisan and its demographics were "affluent, educated and influential men". Kiley also quoted former CBS News anchor and Face the Nation moderator Bob Schieffer as saying, "I don’t know anyone in Washington who doesn’t listen to Imus or watch him on TV. I get more feedback off my spots on Imus than from my own shows."[6] (This included the former Howard Stern terrestrial radio broadcast. In comparison, Stern attracted more than 8.25 million listeners on half as many stations and Rush Limbaugh attracts 13.5 million listeners).
    Read your own article you post. 1.6 million listeners in over 90 markets is not even close to good. Stern had 8.25 million listeners and he wasn't even allowed to air in Chicago and Houston the #3 and #4 markets in the country. Rush Limbaugh literally has almost 10X the listeners Imus ever had.

Boomer and Carton have tripled Imus's ratings in NY and that show completely sucks.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 01-02-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    I don't know much about the radio business to be honest but the founder of WFAN, Jeff Smulyan, said Imus helped save the station, and likely the sports talk format.

And Francesa is quoted saying this to Imus:

“There wouldn’t be a “Mike and the Mad Dog” without you. You carried us for a very long time before we figured it out.”

From Wiki:

At the time of its 2007 MSNBC cancellation, Imus in the Morning averaged 361,000 viewers in the first quarter of 2007 and was up 39 percent over the previous year, ranking third among cable morning news programs in the Nielsen ratings, compared to 769,000 viewers of Fox and Friends on Fox News Channel and 372,000 viewers of CNN's American Morning.[7] The program was reported to generate $20 million in annual revenue for WFAN, representing approximately 25 percent of the New York anchor station's revenue. Total revenue, including affiliate advertising and MSNBC, was said to be $50 million.[8] MSNBC is said to have paid CBS $4 million annually in simulcast fees and to have averaged $500,000 per year in production expenses.[5][/B]
    Last edited by crossfire; 01-02-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    By the way, I don't listen to Imus but I have heard his show plenty of times. I also don't listen to Boomer and Carton. I have heard their show plenty of times and it's unlistenable.

But it's not all about listeners, it's about revenue and with 25% of WFAN's revenue coming from his show in his final year, Imus May not have been the most listened to guy on talk radio but he certainly was listened to a lot and generated a load of money for the station.

Jets Insider VIP
    Tony Paige does not talk about boxing all night. Granted he's normally doing the graveyard shift so cut the guy a break.

Then stop listening to them or stop complaining.

Tony fits the overnight vibe perfectly. He's relaxed, he's calm; it's a laid-back show.

I don't want to listen to a guy ranting and raving about sports at 3 o'clock in the morning.

Jets Insider VIP
    Paige makes fun of the jets alot now. Hes a Bucs fan from the bronx....really? I like anyone but him.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJet View Post
    Paige makes fun of the jets alot now. Hes a Bucs fan from the bronx....really? I like anyone but him.
    We make fun of the Jets...but a Bucs fan from the Bronx cant?

Anyone up that late expecting the premier FAN line-up is getting what they deserve. He doesnt bother me.

-

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyJet View Post
    Paige only cares about boxing. I think he just picked some random team like the Bucs just to have fun with it and be unique. He probably can't name 5 players on the team yet he gets paid to talk sports.

All League
    You can always change the station, you know. There are other sports radio options.