Thread: Are the Jets trying to hire a GM by Friday?

Veteran

Are the Jets trying to hire a GM by Friday?

Per Cimini (who I do not like)

If the Jets aren't letting Ryan speak, it has to be because they're leaning towards him being fired and want to put the muzzle on him while they try to get a GM to do so. Why else would they put a muzzle on him for 4 days? Maybe Johnson is trying to do something right and wants an NFL person to give a quick review of Ryan and whether they should keep him. If thats the case Johnson has to be leaning towards firing Ryan.

Why not just fire them both at the same time? Have your President make the announcement and be done with it. Doing so would quiet the media and kill the circus noise while they try to find a GM and coach. They can release a statement saying that they're rebuilding the front office and are leaning on the new GM to make football decisions on the roster etc. That would also kill the noise as it pertains to Sanchez.

I have worked in the PR world long enough to understand they route they're taking right now is backfiring.

The Jets still aren't talking.

Neither Rex Ryan nor owner Woody Johnson will address the media Wednesday, according to a team spokesman. No reason was given.

Ryan hasn't addressed the media since Sunday's loss in Buffalo and Johnson has talked publicly since the team was 3-6. Johnson released a five-paragraph statement Monday morning, firing GM Mike Tannenbaum and retaining Ryan.

Clearly, something fishy is going on.

If Ryan doesn't speak by Friday, the Jets will be in violation of the league's media policy. The policy, created in conjunction with the Pro Football Writers of America, states that the head coach and a team official (owner, GM, president, etc.) must be made available to the media during the week after the season ends.

What's going on at One Jets Drive? Two possibilities: Management is muzzling Ryan until a new GM is hired or Ryan is so ticked off at the current situation (Tannenbaum fired, Tony Sparano status, etc.) that he refuses to speak.

What, you thought the circus would end when the games stopped?

As usual, silence provides more info to some people than any real info.

Here is my take. The Jets want to hire the best Gm they can. They do not want to toss any gas onto the fire by having anyone talk. I would also take a wild guess that the firm hired to find the GM has put this forth. The Jets really do not know what the gm prospects will be asking for or talking about and having Rex or Woody speak about the direction of the team before hand would be a bad thing.

I think it is totally the correct thing to do. Keep quiet, do interviews, let the prospective Gm's talk to Rex about team direction. They need to sort out the power structure.

Jets Insider VIP
    Ryan has a two year contract and supposedly has input to the search for a GM. He'sbusy inputting right now and will talk to the media as soon as they get a Rex friendly GM and obviously er-a - ding like dat.

This is about MUZZLES. Nothing more.
    Woody Johnson is tired of the constant security leaks in the organization. He's tired of every little thing he plans on doing gets leaked to the media. The fans know his intentions just as soon as he relays them to the Jets FO.

It wouldn't surprise me if he issued a stern warning to every person in that FO, "If you talk to the press. Anyone at all for any reason, you are GONE!!"

It really is ridiculous how much sh*t gets leaked in that building. And it is likely the biggest reason why everyone perceives the Jets team as a circus. I'm hoping that whoever the sh*thead is that's leaking all this crap gets fired, over and done with. With all of the crap this douchebag has likely already leaked to the press, Woody should already have grounds to fire that person.

Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    Ryan has a two year contract and supposedly has input to the search for a GM. He'sbusy inputting right now and will talk to the media as soon as they get a Rex friendly GM and obviously er-a - ding like dat.
    See, I've heard this but have never been given a link or a source.
    Last edited by McGinley; 01-02-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Has nothing to do with Rex being fired... If Woody was leaning that way, it would have been done already. He wouldn't have done the EXACT OPPOSITE and said that he's staying.

What I think it has to do with is the assistant coaches... Rex doesn't like Sparano for some reason. Can't figure out that exact reason, but there's definitely something. And it's not entirely the performance either.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Woody Johnson is tired of the constant security leaks in the organization. He's tired of every little thing he plans on doing gets leaked to the media. The fans know his intentions just as soon as he relays them to the Jets FO.

It wouldn't surprise me if he issued a stern warning to every person in that FO, "If you talk to the press. Anyone at all for any reason, you are GONE!!"

It really is ridiculous how much sh*t gets leaked in that building. And it is likely the biggest reason why everyone perceives the Jets team as a circus. I'm hoping that whoever the sh*thead is that's leaking all this crap gets fired, over and done with. With all of the crap this douchebag has likely already leaked to the press, Woody should already have grounds to fire that person.
    woody doesnt have the balls to fire anyone.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post
    Official: Tannenbaum Fired,

Rex hasn't spoken to the media because he is helping find a GM. the only person who has been let go was Tanny. They are trying to get a GM as quickly as possible so some real football decisions (Sparano, other coaches, players, etc.) can be made. Then Rex will address the media.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

+1.

On top of that, the press has has basically had their work done for them the last 4 years. Now the Jets go silent for a few days and they act like spoiled kids not getting their way. I remember them acting like this too the first year under Mangini, after getting spoon fed by Herm for years.

Anyhow, I really do hope Rex or the new coach is given the mandate by Woody to STFU and stop talking to these leached in the press.

Veteran
    Again, they have until Friday to come up with what they are going to say.

Friday Rex will confidently stride to the podium and announce.

Jets have reached an agreement with HBO to star on HARD KNOCKS again.
    (Woody's been spending this week buying up shares in HBO)

Rex will continue with his usual hyperbole cue the circus music.

Although I could see them forgetting they're required to speak to the media,
    Until next week just so Goodell can strip them of draft picks

All League
    Maybe the consulting firm Woody hired to search for the new GM is like doing their job and consulting them to not talk during the search? Doesn't seem to be that difficult to figure out.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Nike View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    Seriously.

All League
    I still don't get the big deal with them not speaking to the media yet

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    As usual, silence provides more info to some people than any real info.

Here is my take. The Jets want to hire the best Gm they can. They do not want to toss any gas onto the fire by having anyone talk. I would also take a wild guess that the firm hired to find the GM has put this forth. The Jets really do not know what the gm prospects will be asking for or talking about and having Rex or Woody speak about the direction of the team before hand would be a bad thing.

I think it is totally the correct thing to do. Keep quiet, do interviews, let the prospective Gm's talk to Rex about team direction. They need to sort out the power structure.
    I would agree here. But I don't see why they wouldn't just issue a statement saying something to the effect of them not wanting any personnel addressing the media until they have a suitable gm in place to lead their message regarding the future direction of the team. Kill all speculation. I don't think logical people would kill them for that.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post

It isn't a big deal except to the media loudmouths. If I was Woody I would also tell all my employees not to talk till a new GM is in place who would set the team's agenda. I think they hope to have someone hired by Fri and have a joint presser with him and some of the other team staffers.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    The media is basically whining about not getting any material during this stage.

It's like a kid who's been fed a good food and then the mother takes it away and says no more.