Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Gamble is the leading target for GM

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Gamble is the leading target for GM

Per GGN:

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/...ors-tom-gamble

If so this would be a major upgrade in our front office. No matter if he chooses to keep Ryan or whether Johnson mandates he stay for at least this year, I would love this addition.

The New York Jets are reportedly high on San Francisco 49ers executive Tom Gamble as the team searches for a new general manager, Albert Breer of the NFL Network reported Tuesday. Per @AlbertBreer

Also sounds like, early on, 49ers personnel man Tom Gamble is atop the Jets' list. Bill Polian apparently went to bat for him big-time w/NY.

The Jets fired general manager Mike Tannebaum on Monday after missing the playoffs for the second consecutive year and have begun their search immediately.

Gamble is the director of player personnel for the 49ers and has spent the past seven years with San Francisco. He was originally hired as the director of pro personnel and was promoted in February of 2011. He has spent 24 years working in the NFL.

Gamble worked for the Jets earlier in his career for two years, in 1995 and 1996, when he was a quality-control defensive assistant.

While the Jets maintain a high level of interest, the Jaguars are also interested in Gamble filling their open GM spot and have requested permission to speak with him as well.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    how would a blogger know that Tom Gamble is the leading candidate?

Gamble hasn't even been interviewed yet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dustykeller View Post

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The blog is quoting NFL source/insider Albert Breer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

You are something else.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    You are something else.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good post, it's a short article but the source makes it pretty credible, plus it's pretty sensible that he would be the #1 candidate even before interview. Everyone knows what he did in SF and even the "talent evaluators" on this site all seem to be into him as the #1 lol...nice to finally be on the same page with the FO for once.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you read this part yet?

The blog is quoting NFL source/insider Albert Breer.

yeah. Albert Breer is not a "BLOGGER".... Next!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    My fear is that the top candidates will find better situations and thus we will be forced to "settle". Try to put yourselves in their shoes-----

1. No QB
    2. Circus ring master not Head Coach
    3. Huge cap problems that might take a couple of years to fix
    4. New York media's constant attacks

Now if Rex were gone, and Johnson gave the GM total control and five years to accomplish his goals, the story might be different.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm PRAYING that Gamble is our man because he would bring so much STABILITY to the GM position, especially being a REAL FOOTBALL GUY(not an accountant), rex.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    My fear is that the top candidates will find better situations and thus we will be forced to "settle". Try to put yourselves in their shoes-----

1. No QB

Now if Rex were gone, and Johnson gave the GM total control and five years to accomplish his goals, the story might be different.
    By almost all account ONLY Jacksonville has asked to speak with him - and is the Jacksonville job more attractive?

They're about to GET Tebow!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the tweet from yesterday and it is interesting on 2 levels:

Albert Breer
    @AlbertBreer Also sounds like, early on, 49ers personnel man Tom Gamble is atop the Jets' list. Bill Polian apparently went to bat for him big-time w/NY.
    So yes, an NFL reporter is saying that Gamble is atop the Jets list. Also, it sheds a little light on the Polian-Jets story.

We saw posted before that the Jets contacted Polian and he told them he wasn't interested. But apparently that wasn't the end of the story. Based on what we know how things go, the Jets apparantely picked Polian's brain to get his idea on people, at least one of them being Gamble.

Gamble is a known commodity, but it is still good to get established NFL guys' imput on candidates like him. At least that's my take.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

1. No QB

this is my biggest fear during this whole process.

Woody better be the best car salesman he can be, because as it stands right now, this job isn't very attractive for the upper tier candidates for the exact reasons you mentioned in your post.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

1. No QB

This argument is certainly valid, but I think the argument misses the huge related significance of points 2 and 3.

If the Jets have cap problems and have to rebuild, why would the new GM want to bring in a new HC into a losing situation?

This new HC is going to be tainted somewhat by a losing season and then is going to have more pressure on him in 2014 to show improvement. We've seen this on more than one occassion.

By bringing in a new HC for 2013 in a rebuilding season, he and the Jets run the risk of having to fire him after the 2014 if the team hasn't improved enough.

Having Rex back on a rebuilding year is the best course IMO because the team has the easy out in firing him after what should be the worst of the rebuilding years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    By almost all account ONLY Jacksonville has asked to speak with him - and is the Jacksonville job more attractive?

They're about to GET Tebow!!!!
    Actually, Jacksonville might be a good job---Smaller market, owner who is willing to spend.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post

So yes, an NFL reporter is saying that Gamble is atop the Jets list. Also, it sheds a little light on the Polian-Jets story.

We saw posted before that the Jets contacted Polian and he told them he wasn't interested. But apparently that wasn't the end of the story. Based on what we know how things go, the Jets apparantely picked Polian's brain to get his idea on people, at least one of them being Gamble.

Gamble is a known commodity, but it is still good to get established NFL guys' imput on candidates like him. At least that's my take.
    Wait, so let me understand; the New York print media failed to get an accurate depiction of a story by going to print without getting all the facts?

Say it ain't so

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This argument is certainly valid, but I think the argument misses the huge related significance of points 2 and 3.

If the Jets have cap problems and have to rebuild, why would the new GM want to bring in a new HC into a losing situation?

This new HC is going to be tainted somewhat by a losing season and then is going to have more pressure on him in 2014 to show improvement. We've seen this on more than one occassion.

By bringing in a new HC for 2013 in a rebuilding season, he and the Jets run the risk of having to fire him after the 2014 if the team hasn't improved enough.

Having Rex back on a rebuilding year is the best course IMO because the team has the easy out in firing him after what should be the worst of the rebuilding years.
    Good point. I'm thinking more about changing the culture of the franchise. Which I think is necessary in order to move forward.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Good for Woody on this one if that is the case, I posted in another thread that I was leery about the exec talent search team will lead to a "business"
    GM and not a "football" guy. this story should make jet fans more comfortable. Spanos tapped Wolf, so maybe Woody is asking for polian's consel.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is my biggest fear during this whole process.

Woody better be the best car salesman he can be, because as it stands right now, this job isn't very attractive for the upper tier candidates for the exact reasons you mentioned in your post.
    The jets GM job might not be the most desireable but take a look at the openings around the league. All the negatives being said about the Jets ie no qb questionable management at the top etc can be said about almost all the other teams. I can't look at Cleveland, Jax, Arizona etc and confidently say that these are well run organizations that gm's will be dying to go to.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, Jacksonville might be a good job---Smaller market, owner who is willing to spend.
    There's a salary cap - spend on what?

Has Woody been unwilling to spend?

and now smaller markets are better?