Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tom Gamble is the leading target for GM

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Actually, Jacksonville might be a good job---Smaller market, owner who is willing to spend.
    Lol Jax is hands down the worst franchise in football if not all of pro sports.

All League
    Actually, Jacksonville might be a good job---Smaller market, owner who is willing to spend.
    woody isn't willing to spend???? Wtf team u been following!!!!

Second if ur gm candidate is "afraid" of the big lights and media he is going to be doing his job in....do u really want him??? F*+* NO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Here is the tweet from yesterday and it is interesting on 2 levels:

So yes, an NFL reporter is saying that Gamble is atop the Jets list. Also, it sheds a little light on the Polian-Jets story.

We saw posted before that the Jets contacted Polian and he told them he wasn't interested. But apparently that wasn't the end of the story. Based on what we know how things go, the Jets apparantely picked Polian's brain to get his idea on people, at least one of them being Gamble.

Gamble is a known commodity, but it is still good to get established NFL guys' imput on candidates like him. At least that's my take.
    My guess is that Polian wasn't turning down the Jets like the media made it sound. If I had to put money on what happened it would be that the guy is what 70? I just think he's perfectly fine with his gig on ESPN and isn't really up to the idea of being a GM again. Instead, he went to bat for a guy that he thinks will a great GM, is up to the task and helped the Jets get an idea of who he his.

This argument is certainly valid, but I think the argument misses the huge related significance of points 2 and 3.

If the Jets have cap problems and have to rebuild, why would the new GM want to bring in a new HC into a losing situation?

This new HC is going to be tainted somewhat by a losing season and then is going to have more pressure on him in 2014 to show improvement. We've seen this on more than one occassion.

By bringing in a new HC for 2013 in a rebuilding season, he and the Jets run the risk of having to fire him after the 2014 if the team hasn't improved enough.

Having Rex back on a rebuilding year is the best course IMO because the team has the easy out in firing him after what should be the worst of the rebuilding years.
    Excellent analysis. #3 is easily the trickiest to deal with, but I think everything you say is spot on. I hope you are involved in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    The jets GM job might not be the most desireable but take a look at the openings around the league. All the negatives being said about the Jets ie no qb questionable management at the top etc can be said about almost all the other teams. I can't look at Cleveland, Jax, Arizona etc and confidently say that these are well run organizations that gm's will be dying to go to.
    Right, that further emphasizes the point i made about Woody being a good car salesman. He has to out-pitch the other teams like Cle/Jax/Ari because they're in no better shape than us roster wise.

But having said that, in Cle/Jax/Ari you won't have the media scrutiny as bad as you would have here. Jax/Ari are nicer climates. Tangible bullsh!t like that will be taken into consideration too.

So when will these interviews begin?

I wanna get this over with already.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Wait, so let me understand; the New York print media failed to get an accurate depiction of a story by going to print without getting all the facts?

Say it ain't so
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Good for Woody on this one if that is the case, I posted in another thread that I was leery about the exec talent search team will lead to a "business"
    GM and not a "football" guy. this story should make jet fans more comfortable. Spanos tapped Wolf, so maybe Woody is asking for polian's consel.
    I think the media is too shortsighted in all this. Polian is 70 yrs old and likely likes working in a cushy TV gig. Plus, these old guys love their connections. They're not going to blow off any team by essentially going, "Not interested. Bye." Then hanging up.

In all likelihood, the standard NFL convo went like this:

Jets call Polian and ask him if he is interested.

Polian: "Thanks for considering me, but I'm happy at ESPN."
    Jets: "Okay. We're having a list put together of some candidates and I wonder if you don't mind giving us your thoughts on them."
    Polian: "Sure, shoot."
    Jets: "One of the guys we're seriously looking at is Tom Gamble. Any thoughts?"
    Polian: "Yeah, I know Tom. Really smart guy. Football lifer ..."

Just based on what I've read over the years, conversations like this happen all the time.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I think the media is too shortsighted in all this. Polian is 70 yrs old and likely likes working in a cushy TV gig. Plus, these old guys love their connections. They're not going to blow off any team by essentially going, "Not interested. Bye." Then hanging up.

In all likelihood, the standard NFL convo went like this:

Jets call Polian and ask him if he is interested.

Polian: "Thanks for considering me, but I'm happy at ESPN."
    Jets: "Okay. We're having a list put together of some candidates and I wonder if you don't mind giving us your thoughts on them."
    Polian: "Sure, shoot."
    Jets: "One of the guys we're seriously looking at is Tom Gamble. Any thoughts?"
    Polian: "Yeah, I know Tom. Really smart guy. Football lifer ..."

Just based on what I've read over the years, conversations like this happen all the time.
    Or the Jets specifically skipped the initial conversation and started with "Bill, we're likely looking for a GM and we'd love your take on some of the up and comers in the league."

JMO, that seems more likely. Its unlikely to me that the Jets would be wanting to retain a 70 yr old Polian. That's a very short term acquisition.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    The jets GM job might not be the most desireable but take a look at the openings around the league. All the negatives being said about the Jets ie no qb questionable management at the top etc can be said about almost all the other teams. I can't look at Cleveland, Jax, Arizona etc and confidently say that these are well run organizations that gm's will be dying to go to.
    This.

GM and HC openings are there for a reason. There is no perfect situation.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    My fear is that the top candidates will find better situations and thus we will be forced to "settle".
    Who are these "better situations" and why would you define them as better?

How many GM openings are there currently? Jets, Jags....who else?

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Or the Jets specifically skipped the initial conversation and started with "Bill, we're likely looking for a GM and we'd love your take on some of the up and comers in the league."

JMO, that seems more likely. Its unlikely to me that the Jets would be wanting to retain a 70 yr old Polian. That's a very short term acquisition.
    +1

I think the beamoning of "Polian already turned us down, we are zee laghing stock!" are well overstated.

Talking Tom Gamble, would he give Rex 1 lame duck year.?

Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    I'm PRAYING that Gamble is our man because he would bring so much STABILITY to the GM position, especially being a REAL FOOTBALL GUY(not an accountant), rex.
    = Then, if hired, would Gamble have the authority to fire Rex and get a top quality HC of his choosing.?

We live in interesting times. I am going to Adam Schein's party if Rex gets fired.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    = Then, if hired, would Gamble have the authority to fire Rex and get a top quality HC of his choosing.?

We live in interesting times. I am going to Adam Schein's party if Rex gets fired.
    What if Gamble or whoever comes in and really likes Rex? Everyone seems to be discounting this possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    What if Gamble or whoever comes in and really likes Rex? Everyone seems to be discounting this possibility.
    Even if he does people will never believe it. So many here live to *****.

Rex is a good coach, would prove a lot to me if a GM came in and realized that/gave him a legitimate chance.

This argument is certainly valid, but I think the argument misses the huge related significance of points 2 and 3.

If the Jets have cap problems and have to rebuild, why would the new GM want to bring in a new HC into a losing situation?

This new HC is going to be tainted somewhat by a losing season and then is going to have more pressure on him in 2014 to show improvement. We've seen this on more than one occassion.

By bringing in a new HC for 2013 in a rebuilding season, he and the Jets run the risk of having to fire him after the 2014 if the team hasn't improved enough.

Having Rex back on a rebuilding year is the best course IMO because the team has the easy out in firing him after what should be the worst of the rebuilding years.
    I've grappled with Rex staying as HC, and come to same conclusion. Because of bad contracts and CAP hell...Jets are doomed for another losing/non playoff season. Rex is the caretaker HC in 2013. Then new GM brings in his own guy for 2014.

The new 2014 HC may not get the Jets into the playoffs either. But his first year is his "honeymoon" season with the fans and the media. His 2015 2nd season, would be the year playoff results are going to be expected.

A Tom Gamble would be a good addition as GM. Has a scouting background in college, as well as the NFL. Also coaching and negotiating contracts is part of his resume too.

Jets have also asked Giants permission to interview Marc Ross. He would be another guy I'd like to see as GM NYJ.

Hopefully this is a positive sign, that the next GM would be someone outside of the Jets organization. Cause this organization needs a shakeup.

An outsider GM would mean that Woody would be relinquishing his impulsive PSL motivated signings. No more Favre and Tebow shenanigans. Wasting precious draft picks and CAP space.

Jets would then be in the hands of a football man with the power to implement his own vision, and course of action, to bring the NYJ another Lombardi Trophy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Well that would be proof Woody has no clue what he's doing obviously.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    Per GGN:

Also sounds like, early on, 49ers personnel man Tom Gamble is atop the Jets' list. Bill Polian apparently went to bat for him big-time w/NY.
    Assuming this true maybe Polian declining the Jets wasn't about the "Jets" at all. I respect Polian a lot so if he's recommending this guy it's atleast promising..

Talking TOM GAMBLE HAS ROOTS IN NEW JERSEY / PA AREA

=Gamble’s extensive NFL resume includes work in both college and pro scouting, contract negotiations, and a stint in the coaching ranks.

While working closely with General Manager Trent Baalke, Gamble oversees both the college and pro personnel efforts. In his previous role, Gamble monitored every NFL roster with an emphasis on scouting talent of upcoming pro free agents, while also maintaining continuous depth of personnel on the 49ers roster. In 2010, Gamble had been assigned additional responsibilities in collegiate scouting in order to maximize the use of his extensive experience in talent evaluation.

During his time in the NFL, Gamble has helped build nine playoff teams – five with Indianapolis and four with Philadelphia. Prior to his arrival in San Francisco, Gamble served as a college scout for the Colts from 1998 to 2004 under veteran NFL executive Bill Polian.

Gamble originally entered the NFL as an assistant in the player personnel department of the Philadelphia Eagles in 1988. He stayed with the Eagles through 1994, serving as a college scouting administrator, area scout, contract negotiator, and later served as the director of pro scouting.

From 1995 to 1996, Gamble served as a defensive assistant/quality control coach with the New York Jets. He then worked as a part-time college scout for the Carolina Panthers before serving as a pro scout for the Baltimore Ravens during the 1997 season.

Gamble earned his B.S. from High Point University in 1987 and an M.S. from Rowan University in 1988. He grew up in a football family, where his father, Harry, served as the head coach at both the University of Pennsylvania and Lafayette College. Harry was also formerly the President of the Philadelphia Eagles.

Gamble and his wife, Juliette, have three sons, Tom, Gregory and Matthew

Practice Squad
    I think we get him. He has roots here, Woody will pay him and tell him to do whatever he needs to. Rex will be locked out of Florham Park and working at ESPN by Valentine's Day.

Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    woody isn't willing to spend???? Wtf team u been following!!!!

Second if ur gm candidate is "afraid" of the big lights and media he is going to be doing his job in....do u really want him??? F*+* NO!!!!

What is your thinking behind this? Most people don't want the limelight. For every Parcells that basked in the glow, there is a BB that shuns it. If the 2 best guys don't want the limelight you want the third best because he likes to read about himself.

Being a GM is not being a HC, there is no need for any media savvy at all. The PR person issues all the statements and talks to the press. When Carrol was the HC I think the GM spoke to the media before the draft and after it.

Under Mangini you hardly heard from Tanny.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Who are these "better situations" and why would you define them as better?

How many GM openings are there currently? Jets, Jags....who else?
    SD and CLE, right?

If CLE beats us out of any candidate, shoot me now. Ditto on Jax. I'd also say that the Jets are more attractive than SD unless he simply wants to stay on the Left Coast. And if that's the case, nothing you can do about it. But if he is open to relocating back to the East, being the guy that brings the Jets back to prominence is a fairly attractive proposition, IMO.